Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard seems to be making a general statement here. I don't think he's had the chance to see either console in person, a bit like us.
His commentary is useful to keep in mind for next gen though.
I agree. I just meant statements such as this will become fodder.

From a certain point of view.

It's the bottlenecks that force creativity & create a necessity for efficiency and optimization.

I would have agreed with you years ago. However, with triple-A gaming budgets becoming more massive/expensive towards assets creations and engine development, including all the laboring hours and monies behind developing a forefront game... reducing bottlenecks at the hardware level ensures a certain amount of cost towards development goes down. That's why I'm a big believer in ray-tracing succeeding..., so that developers aren't wasting countless hours/monies on developing baked lighting/shadowing/reflections or any other suitable task for RT hardware. Let them spend more time towards developing more enjoyable play-mechanics and finding better ways of managing patching/updating games.

Wonder if this some hint in light of rumors/patents of custom SSD. Certainly looks like someone in the know. On higher level I agree, as 8-16 x scaling in memory beetween generations are thing of past, carefull cacheing of assets with help of these new nand tool will be especialy important.

"I saw a public Sony demo that used extreme amounts of texture and other content in a dense city."

Um, if it wasn't Spider-Man (which I would believe he would have mentioned), what particular demo was he privy to? I remember reading a rumor on Reddit about a similar demo that wasn't Spider-Man related, but something possibly related to an in-house game.

"I saw a public Sony demo that used extreme amounts of texture and other content in a dense city."

Um, if it wasn't Spider-Man (which I would believe he would have mentioned), what particular demo was he privy to? I remember reading a rumor on Reddit about a similar demo that wasn't Spider-Man related, but something possibly related to an in-house game.
Guerilla is rumored to be working on a MP shooter in addition to Horizon 2.

Not that I disagree, but you would have thought "I seen the PS5 Spider-Man demo" would have been sufficient enough or rather obvious on mentioning.
given the date.. hmm.. it probably was the spiderman video- perhaps around the time of the investor one

given the date.. hmm.. it probably was the spiderman video- perhaps around the time of the investor one

I should have looked at the date... thought it was something posted today.

Edit: I see anexanhume is trying to verify it as such.

With all due respect, but who still plays PS1 games? Even PS2 games? Is this a thing?
I sell video games for a living. PS1, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox have seen the largest growth so far this year. NES, SNES and Genesis have seen a large drop off. N64 has stayed about the same, unit wise, but there's been a bit of an uptick in dollars because we've been selling more of the higher end stuff.

People still play old games, except really old stuff like Atari and Intellivision. The drop off in 8 and 16bit games corresponded with the release of the micro consoles (NES Classic, ect) and raspberry pi system becoming easy enough to set up, along with people who grew up with those games aging out of the market. I don't think they stopped playing, it's just that at this point, if you are in your late 30s or 40s and grew up with a NES or SNES, you've probably got every game you want by now. But the people who grew up with a PS1, PS2, or something from those generations, they are aging into the "retro" market, and buying games they played as kids.

He declined to say when we'll learn more, but said Sony plans to discuss the new PlayStation as development versions of the device are sent to outside game companies. "We wanted to make sure that the PlayStation fans had clear and unambiguous information from us instead of garbled nonsense third and fourth hand -- some of it true, some of it perhaps certain times less true," he said. "This is just the start of the unveil process."

I'm pretty sure Sony isn't tracking PS5 rumors, or the vast majority of them anyhow. But I'm wondering if the supposed PS5 leak from last year has more merit than all the rest. Can someone link that November or December leak again? Just curious about something...

That's why I'm a big believer in ray-tracing succeeding..., so that developers aren't wasting countless hours/monies on developing baked lighting/shadowing/reflections or any other suitable task for RT hardware. Let them spend more time towards developing more enjoyable play-mechanics and finding better ways of managing patching/updating games.

Equally, once you have a raytraced lighting engine, it's not so simple to have very dark areas near very bright areas because that's not how photons work. You're swapping one technical problem for, perhaps a more traditional problem, usually solved by a good lighting director. Lighting directors who know how to fake, mute and diffuse lighting using invisible lighting filters. It'll be interesting to see if this is a net win or lose in the long term.

RT is inevitable at this point, though.

I'm pretty sure Sony isn't tracking PS5 rumors, or the vast majority of them anyhow. But I'm wondering if the supposed PS5 leak from last year has more merit than all the rest. Can someone link that November or December leak again? Just curious about something...

This one?
https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR

I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5........

Equally, once you have a raytraced lighting engine, it's not so simple to have very dark areas near very bright areas because that's not how photons work. You're swapping one technical problem for, perhaps a more traditional problem, usually solved by a good lighting director. Lighting directors who know how to fake, mute and diffuse lighting using invisible lighting filters. It'll be interesting to see if this is a net win or lose in the long term.

RT is inevitable at this point, though.
That's addressed by dynamic tone-mapping. Mark areas as higher contrast, lower brightness, higher saturation. Or even include fields that affect rays by reducing the energy as they pass through. Or add shadow-casters; anti-lights. Camera-invisible objects that shine a negative brightness. Or add illumination data in the shader, sampling not just the surface's alebdo times light, but also scaling it by a brightness factor -basically enable negative emission values. Once people are up to speed implementing RT, creating tools and best practice for artistry should be pretty straight-forward.

Last edited:
This one?
https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR

I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5........

Yes, that's one. I have the feeling this is the more likely candidate that got noticed. Well, reportedly PSVR 2 isn't coming 2020, so the doc is wrong there for sure.

Why is there some type of weird consensus among some gamers that Sony is only aiming for a $399 next-gen box, while Microsoft the sky is the limit with Anaconda? I’m pretty sure PS5/Ana aren’t going over $499 ($549 tops).

Why is there some type of weird consensus among some gamers that Sony is only aiming for a $399 next-gen box, while Microsoft the sky is the limit with Anaconda? I’m pretty sure PS5/Ana aren’t going over $499 ($549 tops).
We think we are very smart.
It’s pretty much all that is.

There is a reason why staticians love Niave Bayes, removes all biases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back