Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sound's like sony was targeting 499$, ended with only slight edge over xsx but now are scared that microsoft could put 449$ or even with big lose 399$ on xsx.

Something to remember, volume / discount pricing can (does) actually affect BoM pricing. So depending on the parts being ordered and volume, Sony and Microsoft can virtually have the same hardware both performance wise, but one can have a cheaper BoM on manufacturing virtually the same system.

Last edited:
That the BOM of the XSX is higher*, that´s it

*According to Zughex (He´s an analyst with ties to the industry), and one of the mods at Era I think
Bom of x one even -75$ for kinect was little higher than ps4 even though ps4 has1.4faster soc so I wouldn’t speculate much from bom. What is sure that both sony and microsoft won’t go cheap.

Bom of x one even -75$ for kinect was little higher than ps4 even though ps4 has1.4faster soc so I wouldn’t speculate much from bom. What is sure that both sony and microsoft won’t go cheap.

Just answering what correlation was implied, as you say, nothing is official yet.
But I doubt any of them will screw things up, like the One.

The Bom of last machines was almost tied (sans Kinect) because the soc of the One was larger and the case and cooling was overspecced.
To me that was a colossal fuck-up, because it cost to manufacture a machine almost the same being 40% less powerful. anyway that´s water under the bridge

This to me reads like Sony intended to release PS5 as 399$ console, but duo to scarce parts price shot up a bit more then they are willing to bite.

Instead of ~380$ BOM for PS4, perhaps they had 420$ in mind, and sell it at moderate loss, but 450$ is more then they are willing to go.
I was pretty confident from the outset PS5>PS4 (well at least since the 1st Cerny Wired article.

If the BOM is already at $450, it means PS5 is not using the Ariel 36CU 8TF APU.
Unless their V shaped cooling solution is countering any saving on the APU.

Except MS had a bigger chip due to memory setup IIRC

It sound's like sony was targeting 499$, ended with only slight edge over xsx but now are scared that microsoft could put 449$ or even with big lose 399$ on xsx.

I am confused to how people can draw conclusions like this from the Bloomberg piece and yet dismiss conclusions drawn from the GitHub leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back