Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Xbox One X already has a UHD drive. It would be very surprising if Series X didn’t. Especially since Xbox supports Atmos and Sony doesn’t. It’s a legit option for home theater 4K player.
I mean 100GB disk for games. Is it possible xbox sx still uses 50GB Blu-Ray disks for games?

They wouldn't need to mandate it though. If there's a game just for the XSX (and Lockhart, if it's real,) it can be sold on a 100GB Blu-ray. If it's cross generational, then it can be sold on an X1-compatible 50GB Blu-ray.

Edit: something like this:

Dg5wAQgVMAAasQt.jpg

They wouldn't need to mandate it though. If there's a game just for the XSX (and Lockhart, if it's real,) it can be sold on a 100GB Blu-ray. If it's cross generational, then it can be sold on an X1-compatible 50GB Blu-ray.

Edit: something like this:

Dg5wAQgVMAAasQt.jpg

I know for cross gen games if this is the reason Sony talk about it. It will maybe be one Ps4 package and one Ps5 package.

Yes it is maybe this. Maybe because for cross gen games they want a package including Xbox One too.
A game that plays on XBO isn't an XBSX game. Why would any company sell cross-gen games in the same packaging? You're basically advertising the new game as gimped for the new system. I expect the same as ever, that the new generation console will get new boxes with discs that work only on the new systems.

A game that plays on XBO isn't an XBSX game. Why would any company sell cross-gen games in the same packaging? You're basically advertising the new game as gimped for the new system. I expect the same as ever, that the new generation console will get new boxes with discs that work only on the new systems.

I think that depends on the game. A triple A game would certainly fall victim to that, but something like, say, Minecraft, would still fare well, I reckon.

Largely though, I agree. All of the big players and big games will quickly move on to the next-gen consoles, because that's where the core gamers go.

Jim Ryan told this element will help differentiate the PS5 maybe the raytracing is different than on Xbox Series X.
It seems that PS5 uses 100GB Blu-ray disk while Xbox media is not confirmed?

I speculate all of the five features of PS5 are something unique.
Not sure about that. I was thinking they're the features unique to ps5 compared to ps4. So to show what a new gen brings to the table for the 100+ million gamers they want to upgrade. Unrelated to whatever the competition is selling.

It's premature to give specs, so he just repeated the things we already know.

What's to stop MS from using a special triple or quadruple layer Bluray disc where the first two layers are readable on both the XB1 & XBSX? The extra layers could be readable only on the XBSX? Nothing says they need to use a standard 100gb Ultra HD disc format. With the push to digital they probably wouldn't need to press as many discs anyway. And it would only be needed for games that exceed 50gb anyway. <shrug>

Tommy McClain

There's a reason cerny said faster then current (at the time) pc ssd's.
It’s hard to really predict because they have a fully custom controller and game memory access patterns, which are a subset of any PC use case, can be optimized to. Their patent invoked the use of an FPGA too, which I’m sure they use to modify controller behavior as needed.

What's to stop MS from using a special triple or quadruple layer Bluray disc where the first two layers are readable on both the XB1 & XBSX?
It's the same reason cheap drives can't read some of the layers on high capacity discs: the extra layers of data would just confuse the drive on the older consoles. While it might be possible to develop such a disc, you would also need special duplication facilities which don't exist. It's impractical.

I expect it to be done the same way it currently is.
For XO games, on the packaging it will have a enhanced for XSX logo if it's more than just default performance boost from running on better hardware.
If it needs additional assets, be an additional download like the 1X, or can be on 2 discs as that's now supported.
For non enhanced titles it will just say Xbox & Xbox one on front or something like that, won't have the enhanced icon.

For Scarlett games (Lockhart and xsx) can be on higher capacity disks if need be, as they won't be able to run on XO family of consoles anyway.

I'm not sure sur peak sequential results means much. If you have a better controller, better whatever, you can have a peak let say 4gb, 3... but hit max speed way more often that on the pc space.

Don't forget the table inside the patent is not the speed of the SSD but the speed after decompression of data. They have a special archive file for games. I suppose all of this is not magic and probably like with HDD streaming the dev will have a little effort to do.

Maybe the speed of the SSD is "normal" but after decompression they can have a higher data loaded into memory than the speed the SSD reach. The things is they can't go higher than theoretical SSD speed.

Don't forget the table inside the patent is not the speed of the SSD but the speed after decompression of data. They have a special archive file for games. I suppose all of this is not magic and probably like with HDD streaming the dev will have a little effort to do.

How dare you...

How dare you...

I suppose some games will load very fast like first party games and probably bigger third party title and some indie title will load faster than on a console with a HDD but slower than optimized title, they will not have enough budget to optimize for every platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back