Next Generation hardware release strategy *spawn

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shifty Geezer, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

they said it was for this gen. But I can imagine them having it ready for next as well.

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Precisely. The next gen starts when the baseline progresses. During every console generation, PC hardware has advanced leaps and bounds, but by-and-large games haven't until new consoles define a new baseline. Whatever the future holds, here and now there's a next gen coming where the base performance for consoles is going to be significantly higher than XB1 and PS4 and we'll see a better baseline for games as a result, notably better than the mid-gen refreshes are delivering between now and that hardware launching.

chris1515 and Xbat like this.
  3. wco81

Legend

So a leak from MS about their hardware plans, including new Surface and Hololens devices this year and next.

But also Scarlett, the code name for the next gen Xbox, planned for 2020.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...w-hololens-in-2019-and-the-next-xbox-in-2020/

rokkerkory likes this.
  4. rokkerkory

Regular Newcomer

2020 sounds great for Xbox Infinity! My X will tide me over til then. :)

5. dten

Newcomer

Given where we are today, it's improbable to see any console in 2019 or 16-17 months from this post. Unless Sony has locked down in an unprecedented way, we would already see leaks for a project codename, specs, and potential chatter from devs. Remember this is supposed to be new architecture, not a mid-gen upgrade. Silicon would already be done or very close for tape out. So 2020 or later for both. Hearing leaks about a next Xbox in 2020 is a bit earlier than I would have imagined but not surprising.

6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

it depends on how you set yourself up. Either company can have a slicon budget for 2020 and 2021 and have designs based on that and shift to either one depending on what a competitor is doing.

Also for a very long time at the start of this generation the talk was 720p/900p for MS and 1080p for sony . It was way past fanboys online as I heard it from casual gamers also. Next gen if one company can hit 4k 60fps with better AA or having more ram for textures vs the other company doing 4k 30fps and less aa and textures I am sure it will get talked about all over again. At the end of the day beautiful games that are also fun speak highly to gamers .

7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Wonder if MS will skip VR and make HoloLens their next gen play. I can envision some cool stuff game play with a HoloLens as your display instead of a tv. It would be an expensive sell but could really postion them well for the AR markets

8. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I can relate to that:), the magic of mid gen consoles sure muddy things up a notch. I'm still being rather optimistic here though, compare TLOU remastered to UC4, you would still see a world of difference. Now just apply that here. Yes, Sony's Big 4 and Cyberpunk look phenomenon and I'll be happy if most launch titles would look like them but they're all still attached to the base hardware more or less, subconsciously something tells me Horizon 2 as a launch game without current gen lingerings would blow all the aforementioned games away like nothing and make us shat bricks all over again.

9. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

my Scarlett O'Hara is taking shape. Panos Panay, the creator of Surface is behind the design, and he knows how to use transistors. I expect an exotic configuration.

10. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Rubber keyboard, massive dial and pencil confirmed for Xbox Scarlett :runaway:

cheapchips and iroboto like this.
  11. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Panos looks a bit like Jonah Hill here

Cyan and lefantome like this.
  12. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Xbox Two: use the scaled down Xbox² streaming tablet as a 2nd screen while playing your Xbox² proper. Maybe even has kickstand & mag mount for a Surface Go keyboard. :cool2:

Tommy McClain

Cyan likes this.
  13. lefantome

Newcomer

It may be cross gen ready.

Some shots use very high quality photogrammetry assets but the rest is looking current gen and some not even good.

14. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

This guy....is he from Greece or Cyprus?

15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Correction: His name is Greek but his family is from Cyprus

16. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I have no idea what the correction is because the major population in Cyprus are Greeks :p

17. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

lol haha.
    I'm not too familiar with it, so I'm just going to go the safest route and say that if he was born in Cyprus, he is Cyprian? But yea, I hear you haha

18. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Western Cypriots are ethnic Greeks. I.e. same language, same genetic traces, same culture, same values, same religious majority (Greek Orthodox). They even call themselves "Greek Cypriots" as opposed to the "Turkish Cypriots" from East Cyprus.

AFAICS, the main reason Cyprus doesn't belong to Greece is because after the Ottomans gave the rest of Greece back to the Greeks, they somehow gave Cyprus to the UK instead.

Cyan and iroboto like this.
  19. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Thats why he said "My name is so Greek, because my family is from Cyprus" :)
    Cypriots.
    Cyprus did not win it's freedom during the Greek War of Independence. Cyprus was offered much later to the British as a guarantee for protection of the Ottoman Empire against Russian expansionism.
    A significant portion of the so called "turkish cypriots" were actually Greek Christians turned Muslims. The converted were treated with better tax conditions. But in general the whole population revolted multiple times against the conditions of the Ottoman Empire.
    They were later revolting through worker strikes against the British who were brutal and inhuman, forcing Cypriots to work in extreme conditions with barely any pay.
    Later on, a group of Greek Cypriots organised a questionable guerrilla force to oust the British and unify with Greece. Meanwhile Turkey, with the British was preparing the conditions for a population dichotomy. Cyprus managed to gain it's independence under the condition that British bases would remain and were forced to sign an agreement of independence and a constitution bound to fail as it recognized Turkish and Greek Cypriots instead of one common Cyprus identity. Greece couldnt accept Cyprus for many political and international affair reasons. The agreement also gave the right for Turkey to invade in case the Turkish Cypriots were in danger. Turkey was purposely instigating Turkish Cypriot nationalist terrorist groups called the TMT which made Greek nationalists respond brutally back. Anyways, things got more complicated. The right wing president Makarios was trying to have good relations with Russia as he counted on them in case of potential Turkish thread. He also had good relations with the left party.
    Meanwhile British and US secret services were monitoring and visiting the island.
    The far right nationalists that wanted to get rid of the left, Makarios and unify with Greece, were spreading false information to the CIA and British secret services of a potential Soviet Union influence. So the US, British and the Greek Junta instigated a Greek Cypriot nationalist coup. The war criminal Kissinger green lid the plan: The coup would be viewed as a thread to the Turkish Cypriot minority. That would give the right to Turkey to intervene. Turkey was fully informed before the coup, the British had camouflaged aircraft with Turkish insignia ready to bombard, Greek Cypriot defenses were down beforehand for an easy invasion. And today Cyprus is divided.

ToTTenTranz, Cyan and milk like this.
  20. egoless

Regular

We're in agreement until this part. See Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, where resolution/framerate clearly isn't at the same level of discussion anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.