Next gen lighting technologies - voxelised, traced, and everything else *spawn*

Battlefield V update that was supposed to roll out today had some issues that affected gameplay and servers, so it's being held back a bit. Guess we'll have to wait for those new performance numbers.

Important Community Announcement*: As we were preparing the final checks in releasing our next game update Chapter 1: Overture tomorrow, we’ve encountered a couple of issues as we implement some of the new improvements to the game and servers. Knowing that, we’re putting more time in testing the build and will be pushing back deployment until we can ensure the update is solid. We know a lot of you are excited for this content, and we’re excited to get it to you, but only once we can ensure the experience is great.*

We don’t anticipate this being a long delay, and we’ll be back with an update tomorrow as soon as we have it.

Battlefield V DXR patch is out. So far performance is in line with what Producer and Nvidia stated.

Someone with an RTX 2080
Installed new update and just tried a quick go at a story to check performance, i'm getting around 10fps more now. If i have ray tracing at high with everything else on ultra at 1440p i'm able to get 60-75fps so i'm happy with that. Hopefully this continues with future optimizations. I'll check online play tomorrow
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...es/battlefield-5-update/post/5930757/#5930757

Last edited by a moderator:
Guru3D tested the patch on a 2080Ti @Ultra RTX.
@1440p the gains are 60%! The game jumped from 40fps to 64fps!
Also 4K @40fps is now possible.
index.php

index.php

Also the 2070 can now do Medium RTX at 1440p with 60fps.

index.php

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/d...-performance-patch-released-(benchmarks).html

Last edited:
I want a RTX but im holding of about two years and get the 3080/4080 with a ryzen 3/4 with ddr5 main ram. That if amd ryzen can match intel though or i9 gonna be my next. Might get a second hand 2070 just to overlap those years but will see.

Battlefield V DXR patch is out. So far performance is in line with what Producer and Nvidia stated.

Someone with an RTX 2080

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...es/battlefield-5-update/post/5930757/#5930757
Yet no-one bothered to do proper before/after screenshots to see if it's just really optimizing bad code or were there sacrifices made on the IQ department to achieve the results
edit: or video for that matter, found some video "comparison" from youtube but the runs compared weren't even remotely similar

DICE stated no comprises to IQ have been made, they even improved RTX quality through enhanced denoising, making reflections sharper.
Sharper isn't always better though, and despite being swedish, who should know snow and ice almost as well as us finnish, I've never ever seen any frozen lake reflecting like that no matter if it has partly melted on the top or not
But that's not the algorithms fault I suppose, and great if they really got the big boosts without affecting IQ in negative fashion

DICE stated no comprises to IQ have been made, they even improved RTX quality through enhanced denoising, making reflections sharper.

They did state that SSR would be reintroduced in places where raytracing did not make much of a difference, isn't it ?

Last edited:
Guru3D tested the patch on a 2080Ti @Ultra RTX.
@1440p the gains are 60%! The game jumped from 40fps to 64fps!
Also 4K @40fps is now possible.
index.php

index.php

Also the 2070 can now do Medium RTX at 1440p with 60fps.

index.php

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/d...-performance-patch-released-(benchmarks).html

This is made in ultra graphics settings. If the graphic were set to medium the fps with enabled RTX would be higher.

These adjustments are just the beginning. It is a learning process as with all the new features before. Software and hardware vendors will exchange ideas and make further improvements. This will go on for a while until there is something like the best formula. Here raytracing was also built into an existing engine which was not made for it.

GPUs will also become more and more specialized since it is very efficient compared to generic units.

They did state that SSR would be reintroduced in places where raytracing did not make much of a difference, isn't it ?

A part of the vegetation (like grass) reflects in screen space.

Last edited:
This is made in ultra graphics settings. If the graphic were set to medium the fps with enabled RTX would be higher.

These adjustments are just the beginning. It is a learning process as with all the new features before. Software and hardware vendors will exchange ideas and make further improvements. This will go on for a while until there is something like the best formula. Here raytracing was also built into an existing engine which was not made for it.
Fixed function hardware can go only so far,

GPUs will also become more and more specialized since it is very efficient compared to generic units.
I really, really hope this won't ever become a trend. I mean sure, I love 3dfx and their era, but the industry has been working so hard past 20 years or so to make GPUs more "generic", freely programmable number crunchers which just allows so much more freedom than fixed function hardware.

A part of the vegetation reflects in screen space.
Was this confirmed for this patch or future patch?

I really, really hope this won't ever become a trend. I mean sure, I love 3dfx and their era, but the industry has been working so hard past 20 years or so to make GPUs more "generic", freely programmable number crunchers which just allows so much more freedom than fixed function hardware.

1. There is still room for software imrpvement but it is getting tougher. With the chips the jumps will probably last longer and longer and specialized units can counteract that again.

2. It works like that since today. Example (grass in marked scene):

Last edited:

It's a balance. NVIDIA tried to do a fully programmable rasterization pipeline a few years ago and it was an order of magnitude slower than the semi-flexible pipelines used in GPUs.

Video comparison on 1440p Ultra RTX on a 2080Ti: consistent 25-30fps increases.
It's amazing how much of an impact the original release had on performance with so few (if any) reflections going on in those scenes.

I wonder how much of this performance improvement is due to ray-tracing optimisation only, rather than using SSR or other tricks in some places...

I wonder how much of this performance improvement is due to ray-tracing optimisation only, rather than using SSR or other tricks in some places...
We should only ever be using the correct tools for the job ;) I think developers will need to work to figure this out. We'll see full blown RT implementations get culled back over time as they find a better middle ground for performance/quality.

Back