Next Gen GTA game will be PS3 exclusive

I like to buy complete games that attempt to immerse me in a complete experiences, such as the 1980s in Vice City. For some bizzare reason I don't think it would have been quite the same experience with Will Smith, Kanye West or Ricky Martin's new shit.

And perhaps i don't want to listen to 50cent ?

I have my own taste in music (heavy metal and death metal) and I didn't like much of the music in the gta games (vice city wasn't bad as it was 80s music )

Not to mention that u can still have alot of mp3 songs playing on a small amount of space

I wouldn't expect that you would... Nor is there a single form of data compression that you mentioned which will miraculously give a developer the freedom Blu-Ray will (Shannon... what an asshole.. heh); and PlayStation2 doesn't use any form of data compression? Never ever?

What ocmpresion does it use vince ? and where does it uncompress the data too ? Its little amount of ram ?

As for texture compresion it only has jepg compression and its my understanding that its pretty much fubar and serves no usefull puropse .

So please list the compresions it has compared to the xbox . Also please explain to me why the pc version of vice city is a 1.49gig iso and the san andeas version is a 4.3 iso on the pc yet vice city fills an entire dvd on the playstation ?

well its pretty much a given they will have to top Saints Row in order for non gta fans to atleast have interest in it, and SR is already pretty impressive imo.

and remember bandai? they didnt really push the hardware either last gen...but looks like they pushing things now. ;)
I'm sory how do you know that bandi is pushing the hardware ? To u belive that this video your showing me is where the xbox 360 will end in graphical power ? We aren't even into the first gen of software and the devs have had the final hardware for about 2 months now and yet some how bandai is pushing the system ?

I can agree with u that gta has to look better than saints row , However saints row will be far from an impressive game graphicly as the requirements for a persistant no loading world is much higher than that of a lvl based game .

Not to mention to make a modern city feel like its alive you need tons of characters and cars and tons of huge buildings . You can already see the huge diffrence between saints row and oblivion in graphical quality. You will see a huge diffrencei n graphics betwen gta 4 and other big games on the ps3 .

"Last but not least, after we were told that there was no ability to fly aircrafts in the game due to the DVD drive's inability to stream the environment fast enough in full 720p resolution."

If R* come up against somthing like that i dont think R* will port thr game over.

What could happen :

1. As above no ability to fly, could be a reason why it does'nt get ported.
2. DISK space, if the next game is bigger than GTA:SA then i think 2-3 disk's will happen, BUT will R* want to create a GTA game that needs multiple disks???? it will stop the imsersion factor.

well, I don't know if you play GTA much, but it has load screens.

saint's row does not have a single load screen which is why they ran into this problem with plains, they couldn't stream fast enough(without the HD), GTA wouldn't have this issue since they just have load screens between the major areas.

Bad_Boy, who cares what the HUD looks like? You think people buy GTA because of the style of the HUD and the shooting mechanics? Ya saint's row LOOKS similar, but the succes of GTA was never the looks, or the hud, it was the CONTENT. Saint's row hasn't shown any spark of humour, or originality, or variety like GTA has. All I see is a standard conquer the city game.

Seems to me you just want to believe GTA4 will be some sort of graphical powerhouse, based on R*'s track record they will concentrate more on content and less on looks.

scooby_dooby said:
Bad_Boy, who cares what the HUD looks like? You think people buy GTA because of the style of the HUD and the shooting mechanics? Ya saint's row LOOKS similar, but the succes of GTA was never the looks, or the hud, it was the CONTENT. Saint's row hasn't shown any spark of humour, or originality, or variety like GTA has. All I see is a standard conquer the city game.
whoa whoa whoa scooby, i mentioned the HUD like once and you act like i said the HUD made the game exactly like GTA, you surely need to read again.

scooby_dooby said:
Seems to me you just want to believe GTA4 will be some sort of graphical powerhouse, based on R*'s track record they will concentrate more on content and less on looks.
nowhere did i say it would be amazing in graphics, i said it would be a quality game and i beleive that it will be equal or better in graphics compared to saints row, you need to read again and quit exagerrating my statements.

thank you.

jvd said:
I'm sory how do you know that bandi is pushing the hardware ? To u belive that this video your showing me is where the xbox 360 will end in graphical power ? We aren't even into the first gen of software and the devs have had the final hardware for about 2 months now and yet some how bandai is pushing the system ?
I just love how people take something you say and twist it into their own ideas. I never said anything about this is all xbox360 can do, i mentioned no such thing. I was giving and example based off your statement that just because a company has a track record of making lesser graphical impressive titles does NOT mean they cannot change things around in the next generation, which is why i gave you bandai as an example. look at their past titles, nothing purely amazing in graphics in their library.

jvd said:
I can agree with u that gta has to look better than saints row , However saints row will be far from an impressive game graphicly as the requirements for a persistant no loading world is much higher than that of a lvl based game .
I wouldnt be surprized if rockstar went with no loading the next time around either. And why do people act like its a crutch if games are streamed with large cities then they will look like shit? Doesnt unreal engine 3 have capabilities in streaming for huge city type maps and look impressive doing it at the same time? Im not saying it will look like the killzone vid, but it doesnt have to look unimpressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few thoughts...

First and more importantly, this website reeks of 15 years old trip. The writting is simply "bad", and not Michael Jackson's definition of "bad", which remove any credibility the site could have had.
Which was zero, anyway. Fansites claiming big stuff for hits exist since the internet was created.

Secondly, for the people who claim that a random rip-off could steal GTA's thunder...
Just think, does a random RPG sells as much as Final Fantasy, when there's nor Final Fantasy on shelves? Does a random boring Racing game sells as much as GT? Does a random Footbal game sell as much as Madden?

The answer is "No" and the reason is called "brand recognition".

Also, random stuff but, Spiderman 2, Jak 2, Jak 3 (and I think The getaway?) already let you enter building in a free-roaming world without any loading screens... And they all look better than GTA.
In other words Volition*'s GTA rip-off does nothing impressive, especially when considering the memory budget and the speed of the optical drive they're working with.

*(BTW, what a sad thing for the Freespace guys... I blame THQ!)

Vysez said:
Also, random stuff but, Spiderman 2, Jak 2, Jak 3 (and I think The getaway?) already let you enter building in a free-roaming world without any loading screens... And they all look better than GTA.
exactly. just because a game streams constantly from a disc doesnt mean it will look like garbage.

scooby_dooby said:
well, I don't know if you play GTA much, but it has load screens.

Don't know if you played GTA:SA much but it doesn't have load screens. You can go from city to city, county to county and you will never see a load screen. To drive around the whole state takes about 25 to 35 mintues. And with no loading screens that's pretty darn amazing.

one said:
The article is dated November 09, 2005, and no followup yet?

The guy mentioned on the website that an announce may come around or after the Xbox 360 launch date. So stay tune...

mckmas8808 said:
Don't know if you played GTA:SA much but it doesn't have load screens. You can go from city to city, county to county and you will never see a load screen. To drive around the whole state takes about 25 to 35 mintues. And with no loading screens that's pretty darn amazing.

it's still loading when you go in and out of houses

mckmas8808 said:

The guy mentioned on the website that an announce may come around or after the Xbox 360 launch date. So stay tune...

Why does this warrant an announcement? Its no change from the current gen.

It'll be time basesd exclusive as usaul Rockstar likes money and know the 360 is going to well and is "easyier\cheaper" to make the game for.

So there won't be a GTA5 until next christmas?

jvd said:
Why would you expect a gta game to push the boundrys of hardware when gta 3 to sa didn't

Real late reply, but I will comment! :)

As some people have already mentioned, Saint's Row, a GTA:SA clone, is already pushing the boundaries of a DVD9. I'm not sure what is taking up the amount of space, but the issue is still space.

Why should I expect a GTA game to push the boundaries of a DVD9 and perhaps go into a BluRay?

- HD video (for logos; not that much space, though)
- High Quality Audio and tons of it (GTA is nothing without its audio)
- High-res textures, more models, etc.

Granted, good compression schemes should be able to compress audio and textures, but to what degree? GTA:SA did push the PS2 and was devved solely in pushing that system. Yet, with its immense size, the game was able to fit in a DVD5 (dual-layer would have killed the drive with all that streaming).

If Rockstar North were to dev a GTA that was only 'twice' as good-looking and good-sounding (so let's say, double the resources on disk), then they would be selling themselves short. I expect GTA to go into BluRay for space reasons, unless they are already devving with the X360 in mind.

Who knows if it will be PS3/PC instead of PS3/X360/PC?

Who knows if this announcement is even remotely true?

EDIT: Are you talking about graphical hardware boundaries or storage boundaries? I know the X360 is a graphical beast, but its storage is its Achilles heel.

EDIT #2:

jvd said:
So please list the compresions it has compared to the xbox . Also please explain to me why the pc version of vice city is a 1.49gig iso and the san andeas version is a 4.3 iso on the pc yet vice city fills an entire dvd on the playstation ?

If I remember correctly, Vice City PC had compressed audio while the PS2 version was 'not so compressed'. I forgot what review mentioned it, but a reviewer wrote that the PC version's audio quality (of music alone) was lower than that of the PS2 (I can't confirm this right now, I'm just writing what I remember).

Last edited by a moderator:
If R* come up against somthing like that i dont think R* will port thr game over.
First off Blu-ray is even slower than a DVD drive. So if it's a problem for 360, it's a problem for PS3.
What could happen :

1. As above no ability to fly, could be a reason why it does'nt get ported.
2. DISK space, if the next game is bigger than GTA:SA then i think 2-3 disk's will happen, BUT will R* want to create a GTA game that needs multiple disks???? it will stop the imsersion factor

1. As I stated above, there are no technical reasons of why something couldn't be ported to each console.
2. Current gen GTA is only 2.8Gigs. So why in the world would you expect it to expand to 2-3 discs???

Hardknock said:
First off Blu-ray is even slower than a DVD drive. So if it's a problem for 360, it's a problem for PS3.

1. As I stated above, there are no technical reasons of why something couldn't be ported to each console.
2. Current gen GTA is only 2.8Gigs. So why in the world would you expect it to expand to 2-3 discs???

Not if R* puts lots a duplicate data on the Blu-ray disc.

Current gen GTA is bigger than 2.8 gigs. Most people know this. Are you taking out the added space for audio?

Hardknock said:

At the same spindle speed, bluray has the same access-latency, but significantly higher transfer-rate compared to DVD. What specific case are you talking about?

mckmas8808 said:

San Andreas did away with the load screens but previous versions of GTA loaded between major areas, so they've already set that precedant and it worked fine.

I was responding to the ridiculous comment that R* "just wouldn't bother porting it" if they couldn't manage to stream quick enough off DVD, that's ridiculous they'd just use a 10second load screen if they had too.

Npl said:
At the same spindle speed, bluray has the same access-latency, but significantly higher transfer-rate compared to DVD. What specific case are you talking about?

Obviously it depends what the read speed end up being for PS3. 2x and it's slower. 3x or 4x and it's a little faster.

WHat did Sony use in the PS2, with a much more mature DVD drive? 3x? And that was a technoilogy already on the market for years, BR wont even hit US shores for another year.

scooby_dooby said:
I was responding to the ridiculous comment that R* "just wouldn't bother porting it" if they couldn't manage to stream quick enough off DVD, that's ridiculous they'd just use a 10second load screen if they had too.

Yeah that statement is ridiculas. Of course they would port it. They'd do it in a hearbeat. But what if GT4 is more than lets say 12GBs? What would they do for the 360 version?
fragend013.gif

mckmas8808 said:
Not if R* puts lots a duplicate data on the Blu-ray disc.

Current gen GTA is bigger than 2.8 gigs. Most people know this. Are you taking out the added space for audio?

HUH? If they put duplicate data, then since it's redundant it can simply be removed for the X360 version.

The XBOX version of GTA: SA is 2.86GB, that's a fact. They shaved over 1GB from the PS2 version simply by compressing their audio to MP3, which for some reason the PS2 couldn't do.

Here's a breakdown of GTA: SA for XBOX:

Audio - 1.71 GB
Anim - 0.269 GB
Data - 0.019 GB
Models - 0.85 GB
Movies - 0.027 GB
Text - 0.0015 GB

So there you go. Remove audio and last gen's biggest most expansive game was a whopping 1.17 GB.

Back