Next Gen GTA game will be PS3 exclusive

CONFIRMED: Next Generation Grand Theft Auto WILL BE Exclusive to the PlayStation 3
Earlier today I received a phone call from a source at one of the companies mentioned in my previous article. We had a very nice conversation regarding gaming and the next generation, and my original article on Grand Theft Auto being exclusive to the PlayStation 3.
The source was kind enough to confirm it.
One change of underwear later, here I am telling you all, in as humble a fashion as I can muster:
TOLD YA SO!
And so: The Console War truly begins: 13 days before the Xbox 360 launches, and Sony gets the biggest North American coup. This will change many things for many casual gamers.

Ah man if this is true this will be a big plus for Sony. According to this website an annoucement should be coming soon.

Link http://www.gamerandy.com/archives/2005/11/begun_this_cons.shtml

Whatcha think?

Not a big surprise if true, but I'll wait for confirmation before I believe it.

Not that it matters to me either, I'll probably end up with all three consoles anywho (and worst case for PS3 only users would be it was multiplatform).

I think GamerAndy should get a good reputation going before trying to set the world on fire with misleading titles.

Inane_Dork said:
I think GamerAndy should get a good reputation going before trying to set the world on fire with misleading titles.

I read his comments and he is really really convincing me that he really had that conversation. I'm really believing this guy right now. He has this one chance to blow up if this is true.

Great new's for sony. Now the only thing that remains to find out is if it's a PROPER exclusive or just a 12 month first release exclusive like the ther GTA's. Secondly if the game is bigger than GTA:SA then would a port be possible with-out going to 2-3 disk's and with that in mind would rockstar port the game over as this would lose the imersion factor of the game. And we all remember saint's row problem about no flying due to 360's disk format, could the next GTA also suffer from the same fait??

mckmas8808 said:
Next Gen GTA game will be PS3 exclusive...Whatcha think?
That's awesome, if true. GTA has been my favourite franchise this gen, and am looking forward to what R* can bring do with the PS3.

Fingers crossed it will once again expand the world of gaming into a new and exciting horizon, like GTA3 did for this generation!

Now, when do the speculations start about when & where it'll be based! This is where the fun begins!

Its a time-based exclusive, not a "never on any other platform exclusive". Thats a BIG difference and not nearly as big a deal as they make it out a to be.

I wonder if the fact that, during this gen, the superior versions were the ones released LATER, will have any impact on consumer perception.

Maybe I'm crazy, but what is it that they announced at the end of the Sony E3 press conference?

mckmas8808 said:

Ah man if this is true this will be a big plus for Sony. According to this website an annoucement should be coming soon.

Link http://www.gamerandy.com/archives/2005/11/begun_this_cons.shtml

Whatcha think?

OH GOOD GOD. This website is as trustworthy as a hole in a wall.

1. Why would "gamerandy" know and not all the major sites?
2. Why hasn't Rockstar released a press-release for such big news?
3. Why isn't Sony screaming this from the rafters? They made it known about PSP GTA as soon as possible.
4. Rockstar has stated themself that they are waiting to see who has the largest install base before deciding where GTA goes.
5. Whoever gets it exclusive will more than likely only be timed exclusive. And if the userbases are similar, Rockstar will more than likely release them at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardknock said:
OH GOOD GOD. This website is as trustworthy as a hole in a wall.

1. Why would "gamerandy" know and not all the major sites?
2. Why hasn't Rockstar released a press-release for such big news?
3. Why isn't Sony screaming this from the rafters? They made it known about PSP GTA as soon as possible.
4. Rockstar has stated themself that they are waiting to see who has the largest install base before deciding where GTA goes.
5. Whoever gets it exclusive will more than likely only be timed exclusive. And if the userbases are similar, Rockstar will more than likely release them at the same time.

It's called A LEAK Hardknock. And the person representing Sony or Rockstart stated that an offical annoucement will be made soon.

expletive said:
Its a time-based exclusive, not a "never on any other platform exclusive". Thats a BIG difference and not nearly as big a deal as they make it out a to be.

I wonder if the fact that, during this gen, the superior versions were the ones released LATER, will have any impact on consumer perception.

Who comfirmed it's a time-based exclusive..?
Anyway it's still a big thing since 12 months(?) is a long wait and with GTA games (where the exploring is the fun part) it also somewhat ruins the experience. I too wonder what the impact on consumer perception will be when they find out that even 1 year after the 360 looks inferior..

Lol, what a bunch of bunk this is. mckmas8808 you can believe whatever you want, just don't try and spread it like gospel

Last edited by a moderator:
mckmas8808 said:
It's called A LEAK Hardknock. And the person representing Sony or Rockstart stated that an offical annoucement will be made soon.

Hey what's up with the gargantuan font? As if that will somehow make it true? :LOL:

Grow up, there is no proof. And if this was true I'm sure we'd hear about it from someone more credible than 'gamerandy'. USE YOUR HEAD DUDE.

If this is true it just shows how stupid MS really is. I don't care what it would of costed it would of been worth it to secure GTA the same time the PS3 gets it. MS just does not get it at all instead of wasting time on perfect dark 2 or other crap they should of been out there heading off sony and thier exlusive machine. MS is just stupid they secure unknown games as exlusives while sony is out there securing big name franchises. To spend all this money on hardware ect and not spend a tiny amount to secure one of the 5 most important franchises this generation is stupid. What is going to happen next sony going to get an exlusive on the madden franchise and kill the 360 before it is launched?

I guess no one will spend the money to compete with sony. When GTA comes out and sells millions and millions of PS3s and the 360 is a distant second or third I will be there to say I told you so. This is just 1 step closer to a sony monopoly on the video game business.

3roxor said:
Who comfirmed it's a time-based exclusive..?
Anyway it's still a big thing since 12 months(?) is a long wait and with GTA games (where the exploring is the fun part) it also somewhat ruins the experience.

Go read the comments at the site.I had to ask the question on the gamerandy website and he responded that it was time based and was in the neighborhood of 8 months. If you dont feel like going to check it out for yourself here was the resonse:

GamerAndy said:
There really arn't many "never ever ever on 360" 3rd party titles anymore. The source wouldn't give dates but he said that our estimate was very close to accurate. If you trace it back to our other article, Hawkes estimated it would be exclusive for 8 months then come out on 360

3roxor said:
I too wonder what the impact on consumer perception will be when they find out that even 1 year after the 360 looks inferior..

My question was based on historical fact, apologies if i inadvertently hit a nerve.

Hardknock said:
Hey what's up with the gargantuan font? As if that will somehow make it true? :LOL:

Grow up, there is no proof. And if this was true I'm sure we'd hear about it from someone more credible than 'gamerandy'. USE YOUR HEAD DUDE.

Hardknock and Qroach I'm not saying this is 100% fact. I'm showing you guys here just in case this does become true. Then you can say, "Old news".;)

Nothing wrong with me posting this is it? We talk about possible console hardware stuff all the time.

Guys stuff like this doesn't just happen when neither console has been released. For one, if Xbox 360 does dominate, Rockstar will be limiting their audience. ASWELL AS giving the oppurtunity for a seperate franchise to take GTA's place on the dominate platform. Thus helping to kill off the GTA franchise. Look what happened to Capcom with Resident Evil. Rockstar is not that stupid.

The source states they'll be announcing a 8 month exclusive deal, not full exclusivity. So i'd say it'll play out like this gen, PS3 first, then we'll see ports some months after.

Assuming this news is fact.

Hardknock said:
Guys stuff like this doesn't just happen when neither console has been released. For one, if Xbox 360 does dominate, Rockstar will be limiting their audience. ASWELL AS giving the oppurtunity for a seperate franchise to take GTA's place on the dominate platform. Thus helping to kill off the GTA franchise. Look what happened to Capcom with Resident Evil. Rockstar is not that stupid.

Dude R* announce that GTA:LCS would be a PSP exclusive and it sold over 150,000 units in the US in less than one week. I really really doubt that if GTA4 were to be a 8 month exclusive for the PS3 that it would help kill the GTA franchise.

mckmas8808 said:
Dude R* announce that GTA:LCS would be a PSP exclusive and it sold over 150,000 units in the US in less than one week. I really really doubt that if GTA4 were to be a 8 month exclusive for the PS3 that it would help kill the GTA franchise.

Did you read my entire post? I stated if Xbox 360 winds up being the dominate system. It would inevitable effect rockstar's sales, and open up the possibility of something else taking it's place on the 360.

Back