Next-gen Cross-Platform Strategy [2020]

To try to make it clear, I don't agree with the concept that if you have a platform you must have exclusives to sell the platform. I'm not arguing that exclusives don't help to sell a platform, nor that exclusives shouldn't ever happen.
I don't disagree. ;) A fancy pants exclusive will help draw attention to the platform, for sure, but I think new games that look next-gen but are also released on the old platform will still work. I can't think of any scenario where MS releases XBSX and no-one buys it because it lacks next-gen exclusives. And I think the console companies mostly agree with that and don't use exclusives to push consoles. If they did, Sony would postpone TLoU2 and move it exclusively to PS5.

I don't disagree. ;) A fancy pants exclusive will help draw attention to the platform, for sure, but I think new games that look next-gen but are also released on the old platform will still work. I can't think of any scenario where MS releases XBSX and no-one buys it because it lacks next-gen exclusives. And I think the console companies mostly agree with that and don't use exclusives to push consoles. If they did, Sony would postpone TLoU2 and move it exclusively to PS5.

Hey, a discussion about consoles on the internet that lead to clarity and understanding! It's actually possible!

I do want a generational shift to occur eventually and for the majority of games to be built for the next-gen of consoles. It's just that I'm fine if the shift is a little more gradual this time.

No-one forces the publishers to go next-gen exclusive... I don't think any of it is really forced.

That would be a false account of what being forced actually entails I think.

When someone is forced to do something she has no reasonable or acceptable alternative course. It need not be true that she has no alternative whatsoever.

In this case it is the platform owners that force everyone else in the chain, from developers to users.

There’s no stoppage by Sony or MS to ensure that new titles are made exclusively for the new platform.

IIRC post PS4 launch they were still releasing Gran Tourismo on PS3.

So there’s definitely not a hard and fast rule.

I don’t need exclusives to justify a platform purchase.

Personally, I liked to see how a MS or Sony would do when supporting cross title development.

There are cons to limiting games to first party realities. Sony and MS are hard pressed to provide a budget similar to RDR2 or GTA5 to a first party title. Sony and MS would be hard pressed to produce a phenomenon similar to Fortnite on just a single platform.

I would like to see the games operate like movies. At launch and thereafter everybody has access regardless of platform (you just purchase the title) and exclusivity is just a facet of subscription services.

I think it would create greater revenue potential for platform owners as publishers. While allowing them to leverage their self produced wares as exclusive titles.

To me it’s the best of both worlds.

The i wonder why people bought new consoles at launch every gen, as launch lineups have never been stellar.

They might not of been good games and only tech showcases but most look much better than the previous gens games and that's the point of launch games. Do you think there would be this massive thirst for next gen specs if people weren't excited or looking forward to see and have something better.

They might not of been good games and only tech showcases but most look much better than the previous gens games and that's the point of launch games. Do you think there would be this massive thirst for next gen specs if people weren't excited or looking forward to see and have something better.

PS4 Pro and One X versions of games looked better. Improved visuals is a low bar and doesn't require exclusivity.

Do you think there would be this massive thirst for next gen specs if people weren't excited or looking forward to see and have something better.

This massive thirst after specs occurs only on gaming forums, in special places like restera, 4chan reddit etc. Most people dont care about power, or even exclusives.
Many care about graphics too, but you dont need exclusives for that. RDR2 was one of the, if not the best looking game this gen.

https://wccftech.com/boon-ps5-xbox-series-x-pricing-important/

This massive thirst after specs occurs only on gaming forums, in special places like restera, 4chan reddit etc. Most people dont care about power, or even exclusives.
Many care about graphics too, but you dont need exclusives for that. RDR2 was one of the, if not the best looking game this gen.

https://wccftech.com/boon-ps5-xbox-series-x-pricing-important/
Please don't start posting this one set of poll results around as if fact, especially when the article contains contrary information that you should have read and followed through.

Boon self-selecting internet poll result, 19% care about graphics.
Iposos Mori's statistically conducted poll of gamers. 78% of console gamers care about graphics.

The developers could always opt to not develop or release on those platforms.

And not make as much revenue as they could on new platforms or not at all because that's where the players have moved to. That's not a choice in any meaningful sense.

Please don't start posting this one set of poll results around as if fact

I remember you doing a poll here because that had more weight to it then personal claims.
Boons poll isnt a fact, but it does show what a large number of people think. Or are things framed? Did 50k people actually vote or is it all made up. It doesnt fit the narrative for all atleast, while the other poll does. I guess its just to pick your poison then ;)

Also, isnt it a given that one expects better graphics in a 400/500 dollar new console?

I remember you doing a poll here because that had more weight to it then personal claims.
Boons poll isnt a fact, but it does show what a large number of people think. Or are things framed? Did 50k people actually vote or is it all made up. It doesnt fit the narrative for all atleast, while the other poll does. I guess its just to pick your poison then ;)

Also, isnt it a given that one expects better graphics in a 400/500 dollar new console?
Depends on the demographic that you ask.

Adults 30+ may care more about graphics.
Tweens, Teenagers, young adults may care more about legacy and BC play because they are spending majority of their gaming time in
a) F2P titles, like Fortnite, Apex, PUBG, Dota etc
b) Minecraft

I a lot of those coveted exclusives that everyone talks about as being the reason to by a console very much for a 1 particular audience (a large high spending one at that), and that audience is not 11-16.

There are certainly more kids that play games that adults, but they aren't willing to, or have been trained to not spend their money on those types of things.

I'm only playing Apex Legends lately, I'm not sure if I'm part of the problem or what not, but lol. i mean sort of get it. If 'live' competitive gaming is where you are at, you will only care about thing that will improve your performance in said titles.

There's no problem posting polls as long as they are used sensibly. You post this one in support of the view that only forum-goers care about specs where the source actually links to a counter-poll - it's contradictory info that can't support any view. Did you read the whole article and decided not to mention the Ipsos-MORI results, or did you not read the whole thing and just jumped into believing the headline? ;)

There's no problem posting polls as long as they are used sensibly. You post this one in support of the view that only forum-goers care about specs where the source actually links to a counter-poll - it's contradictory info that can't support any view. Did you read the whole article and decided not to mention the Ipsos-MORI results, or did you not read the whole thing and just jumped into believing the headline?

50k voters just seems like a huge amount, but seeing over a whole country it's probably not much. Yes the other poll had a different result, and i think it's logical that on forums like B3D etc, we are more interested in the specs of a next gen system then in price. I think many here rather pay 100 dollars more the PS5 if it's 14TF then a 399 dollar 9 to 10TF console. The average joe probably doesnt even know what a teraflop is, they might be interested in shorter loading times. Hence the majority want it cheap, they think its beastly faster then the PS4 anyway, since its PS5.

And I think the console companies mostly agree with that and don't use exclusives to push consoles. If they did, Sony would postpone TLoU2 and move it exclusively to PS5.
It is risky to make an 10-20 million game exclusively to PS5 in the first year. But in the 2nd year console makers need exclusive games to force the users abandon their old consoles.

Furthermore the number of active users of old-gen consoles will be fewer over time. Exclusive games of next-gen consoles are necessary to help transition faster.

It is risky to make an 10-20 million game exclusively to PS5 in the first year.
It's not massively risky. If you offer the best next-gen game on the platform, you can be pretty sure of a few million sales because there's only a handful of titles and most are cheaper up-ports. At $30 profit per unit, you should be comfortably grossing $60+ million. Even more if you're the platform holder. And if you are the platform holder, even being a bit lossy doesn't matter that much if your helping to move units and establish a user base.

But in the 2nd year console makers need exclusive games to force the users abandon their old consoles.
What do you mean by 'exclusives' and 'force'? Platform exclusives, or next-gen exclusives?

Back