Next-Gen Article: "Comment: Sony's Real War Begins"

ROG27

Regular
Link:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2116&Itemid=2

Excerpt-

"Another juicy rumor - wholly unconfirmed - is that Japan will not see the launch of PS3 until very late this year. Our sources were unable to make the connection about whether this means the U.S. launch will come at the same time, even later, or, just maybe, much earlier. This is where, unfortunately, we are left to speculate.

What if it's earlier?

The theory goes that Sony's play is not for the next generation games market at all. Microsoft's Xbox 360 is no more than an irritating diversion. The big play is for the high definition DVD market, and in this context, an early launch, with small hardware numbers and threadbare games software support might just be a good move.

This play potentially represents Sony's most important move in its entire history. Imagine; a royalty for Sony on every single DVD sold between 2006 and 2012 or thereabouts. No wonder Bill Gates hates Blu-ray.

The next generation DVD market is much, much bigger than the next generation games market. Owning the high definition DVD platform through Blu-Ray is Sony's number one priority for the next two years. Coming first in the next generation games market tags along for the ride.

The enemy is Toshiba

This spring, Toshiba will launch HD-DVD. Small numbers of ultra-high early adopters will be asked to pay up to $800 for the machine. But they will be nervous about making that commitment, if they see that Blu-ray is already available at a lower price, backed by Sony, albeit in savagely small numbers.

Here is where the first scuffles over the future of home entertainment will take place. It's important to draw first blood.

That's reason one. Reason two is Hollywood. This fall, the studios will be making a call on which formats to back. If Sony says, "We're launching PS3 at Thanksgiving with a million units," Hollywood will say, "Okay, great."

But Sony might be in a position to say, "We launched PS3 earlier this year, and they're still lining up around the block. We've sold 300,000 units, and we're now shifting 30,000 a week. We plan to sell another million over the holidays. Blu-ray is here." Many of the studios have made verbal commitments to Blu-ray, but that's a long way short of backing the platform with the high definition DVD versions of its summer movies.

Hollywood does not want a split format. It will do as much as it can to avoid this scenario. What it needs to see are numbers.

Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities says, "A lot of people in the games media are missing the picture here. This isn't about Sony versus Microsoft. This is about Sony versus Toshiba. Everything Sony does regarding PlayStation 3 is colored by that fact."

I think they are close to the truth in the article. I think I have made another connection that may be spot on. The HD standards and formats for NA and Japan are the same, along with little or no region locking/encoding...meaning hw and sw are interchangle pieces of this puzzle for Sony. They need to get PS3 out the door to fight Toshiba in the NA market...but don't want to disgrace their homemarket. I think they will have a staggered launch like before...but I think that they will launch late spring/early summer in NA and Japan simultaneously...and later in the year (Q4) in Europe, etc.

This would be their move...and seems like it would just make the most sense, fitting all the pieces of the puzzle together.

Feb. suprise can't come soon enough.

Wow...a that's quite a lot of creative pre-emptive spinning based on a rumor of a late console launch. To me, that indicates a late launch is likely... ;)

ROG27 said:
The enemy is Toshiba.

That's why Toshiba pretended to be able to produce the GPU for the PS3. The rumor was the prototype was nothing but a bunch of rectangles scribbled on a napkin. They were intentionally stalling Sony in order to delay Blu-Ray.

;)

A surprise early launch could be devastating to Microsoft if they're still having supply problems. Once the PS3 is on shelves it'll be like "360 who?"

Joe DeFuria said:
Wow...a that's quite a lot of creative pre-emptive spinning based on a rumor of a late console launch. To me, that indicates a late launch is likely... ;)

It's not spinning on anyones part...its speculation from Next-Gen (who clearly state it to be speculation over and over again) who happen to be a real news site most of the time, quite like gamesindustry.biz.

Why can't this happen Joe?...do you have the inside connection we've all been yearning for? :devilish:

seismologist said:
A surprise early launch could be devastating to Microsoft if they're still having supply problems. Once the PS3 is on shelves it'll be like "360 who?"
Yeah - and rumor has it, the PS3s will be manufactured and delivered straight to customers' homes by Santa!

While we're off in wishful-thinking land, I heard PS3's been upgraded to a gigabyte XDR memory too.

Even Sony insider sources indicate that we won't even see a Japan launch before summer.

ROG27 said:
It's not spinning on anyones part...its speculation from Next-Gen (who clearly state it to be speculation over and over again) who happen to be a real news site most of the time, quite like gamesindustry.biz.

Why can't this happen Joe?...do you have the inside connection we've all been yearning for? :devilish:

It's speculation that is trying to turn something negative (rumor of a late launch in Japan) into something that was "planned all along..."

If I were MS, I would be HOPING that PS3 launches "early" in the U.S. with scant software, and then doesn't make it to Japan until late in the year.

This would do two things:

1) Turn of American users who have no decent games to play on said shiny new console
2) Piss off the Japanese for not giving them first crack at the new tech.

If Sony really were most concerned about Blu-Ray, and PS3 as a games console was just some "afterthought" as the article is suggesting, Sony would have been pushing a cheap stand-alone BR player in massive quantities to market ASAP all along. This way the success of the supposedly crucially important BR adoption would not be tied to something as risky as a console launch....

it may be a wise move to them to launch first in the markets where 360 may be eroding sony's marketshare.

and we all know xbox 360 is going nowhere in japan.

the downside is their japanese consumers could feel betrayed.

Magnum PI/Joe DeFuria: DS launching in the USA first didn't really affect Japanese consumer's perception of it.

I don't think this whole "betraying" the consumers thing happens exactly the way you think.

Joe DeFuria: I imagine it would have quite the opposite affect that you've said there...

A PS3 launch soon in the NA (~spring) would probably benefit Sony more than anything... as the first couple million would probably not care much (people still want X360's, even with no real compelling software and in the face of consoles with much better games and selections)... by the time holidays come around again the shortages would be settled and they'd be able to take advantage of it (unlike how it went for MS' first holiday season... not many were able to get an X360 this holiday season). Holidays are pointless if you can't take advantage of them... launching in the middle of the year is actually a lot smarter (and if I remember correctly it's how many launches used to be).

I don't think MS would be happy if it launched this spring in NA.

ROG27 said:
Do you know them personally? Who are we referencing here?
Thats what I would like to know.
Kaz Harai went on record to say they are launching this year. Im seeing US and Japan. Not sure who gets it first but my guess is Japan.

Laa-Yosh said:
Sorry, can't name the source, probably shouldn't have mentioned it...

Well, we've all got insider sources to one degree or another - it just depends on how 'in the know' they are when they give their predictions. :cool:

Anyway I'm still holding on to April in Japan - it just makes sense to me on a couple of levels. But if Sony launches later than this, they launch later. One thing's for sure though, every week that goes by with us debating this, is one week closer we get to the answer.

By the end of Feb or mid-March, if nothing else, I'd expect we know around when PS3 will be launching, whether it be a month after or nine.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't understand is if the physical hardware for both the US and Japan is identical and if there is no region locking...why can't they box them up in different boxes with different manuals (or manuals written in both languages) and ship them to both places for a launch simulataneously in late spring/ early summer? Maybe each territory would receive between 500K to 1 million units initially? Is there some reason that Sony can't do this before June 21st 2006? The HD standards for blu-ray, etc. have been announced as being the same in both NA and Japan so I don't see why this can't be the case.

Look at what could be going on here...

-Sony don't need to release PS3 during a holiday season and don't need an unbelievable launch line up either...people would be still lined up around the block, especially with low initial supply...even in the middle of the summer.

-Sony need to give consumers a low-cost alternative to Toshiba's HDDVD in spring/summer in North America.

-Sony has been much more forthcoming with information pertaining to Western Developed games than Japanese developed games which traditionally launch alongside it's systems in Japan.

-Sony can use the slowpoint in the year to ramp up production so its going full speed the time the holiday season rolls around (Q4 2006).

-European Launch could be Q4 2006.

I just don't think Sony got caught off guard here...they are not stupid...unless the hardware is far from being finished (and that doesn't seem to be the case at all)...this thing could launch anytime late spring/early summer under the exact conditions I described above.

It's more than hardware being finished - it's even more than software being finished. It's about, how many of these things can they build, stockpile, and ship within xx number of months? Just because the hardware might be done, and some titles might be ready, does not automatically put Sony in a position to put 2 million of these things on shelves. So I mean even though I myself am out here with April, Japan, blah blah.. I'd be surprised at a simultaneous launch in the US, and further if the supplies were at all adequate.

Bobbler said:
Joe DeFuria: I imagine it would have quite the opposite affect that you've said there...

Note that I said "launch early with scant software". If there's one thing the U.S. needs, it's quality titles...at least a few at launch, and then a steady flow (one or two a month) afterward to keep things moving.

IF PS3 were to launch early in the U.S., I can see it being good for Sony IF there are good launch titles to go with it.

Spring ends abou six moths from now so they got plenty of time according to what they said. Lets see whats happens in the feb-event. I think many will be suprised.

overclocked said:
Spring ends abou six moths from now so they got plenty of time according to what they said. Lets see whats happens in the feb-event. I think many will be suprised.

five not six

Sony must realise that gaming is the primary focus of PS3 and through that focus it will help achieve their Blu-Ray plans. It would highly surprising if they try and rush the system out of the gate and hurt its sales potential as a games console. The only reason the PS3 is a cheap Blu-Ray player is because it’s attributes as a console are likely to make back the entire subsidy.

I think Hollywood realises that Blu-Ray is very likely to outsell HD-DVD this year (given PS3 launches in 2006). The average consumer won’t be attracted to any of the two disc formats while a war is ongoing – something they will be made aware of at retail, if not from sales assistants then from the marketing face-off. Crucially for Blu-Ray, PS3 will be selling to J6P while also getting into non-HDTV homes, establishing a beachhead for future Blu-Ray adoption. This is all old ground anyway.

Beating HD-DVD won’t be about minimising the time on the market HD-DVD has to itself without any significant price competition. Blu-Ray has advantages on content and CE, Sony shouldn’t realistically have to make rash decisions.

On the console side of things there is actually little evidence to suggest 360 is eroding potential PlayStation market share. Out of interest (maybe slightly OT), have there been any detailed breakdown’s/polls on exactly what type of consumer is buying the 360?

If I were to take a guess, no more no less, I would presume that it’s mostly the same old hardcore early adopter crowd coupled with current generation Xbox owners along with some PC gamers looking at the MCE capabilities. I can’t be certain of it, but that’s my speculation.

Back