Next-Gen Article: "Comment: Sony's Real War Begins"

Fat lady getting ready to sing?

I read it WRONG.. i probably shouldnt be by the computer when I have a fever. :(
Ignore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help thinking that it's more than coincidence that Sony have indicated there will be a lot revealed in Feb - around the time G71 will likely be revealed.

bobthebub said:
I can't help thinking that it's more than coincidence that Sony have indicated there will be a lot revealed in Feb - around the time G71 will likely be revealed.

Considering they revealed "something" at the last E3, round the time the G70 was revealed, i guess they can just keep this up and finally announce the final PS3 platform round the time G91 is revealed.

Joe DeFuria said:
February is like uh, a week away. An event that is supposed to like publically usher in the PS3 would very likely be publicized by now.

Unless people are calling the "Destination Playstation" or "Devstation" the Feb event....I just don't see it happening at this point.

There's still over a month before February is out. They could announce it next week and still leave plenty of time for promoting it. The PS2 equivalent back in 2000, admittedly, was announced by this same point back then, but not by much (it was only announced in Jan, took place mid Feb).

Joe DeFuria said:
That was back in September...in partial response to a previous "promise" being broken (no playable games at Tokyo Game Show).

It was in response to the question of why there were no playables at TGS, not why they broke a "promise" of such. There never was such a promise.

Man you guys are giving sony WAY to much credit, you all bascially assume the PS3 will launch without a hitch have enough supplies for eveyone and that every consumer will drop their 360 for it. I think sony is in for a battle this round

swanlee said:
Man you guys are giving sony WAY to much credit, you all bascially assuem the PS3 will launch without a hitch have enough supplies for eveyone and that every consumer will drop their 360 for it. I think sony is in for a battle this round

Uhm maybe we're not reading the same forum but i really would love to see where anyone wrote that on here... :???:

Titanio said:
There's still over a month before February is out.

Tick...tock...

It was in response to the question of why there were no playables at TGS, not why they broke a "promise" of such. There never was such a promise.

And when there is no "Feb event", I assume we'll here the same "But there was no promise from Sony...", and I right?

And that's my point. Sony is not promising anything. The FANS are promising what Sony's going to do....based on little more than wishful thinking from what I can tell.

BTW, the article states:

Elements of the interview translated by U.S. consumer website IGN reveal that Sony decided not to show playable games at Tokyo Game Show, despite Ken Kutagari's previous insistence that this would happen.

london-boy said:
Uhm maybe we're not reading the same forum but i really would love to see where anyone wrote that on here... :???:

seismologist said:
A surprise early launch could be devastating to Microsoft if they're still having supply problems. Once the PS3 is on shelves it'll be like "360 who?"

Mmmm....pretty close.

Joe DeFuria said:
And that's my point. Sony is not promising anything. The FANS are promising what Sony's going to do....based on little more than wishful thinking from what I can tell.
I don't have links, but the idea of a Feb event comes from Sony spokespersons, plus I thought it appeared on their PS3 timeline slide.

Okay, I've found links. This is old and common info, so you should just pay more attention :p

ps-meeting-2005-sonys-ps3-schedule-20050721020718112.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/654/654390p1.html
IGN said:
With the system having missed out on its playable debut at TGS, you might be wondering when gamers will get a chance for a first hands-on test. Originally, SCE was scheduled to hold a Japanese event in February that would give players a chance to play PS3 games. Earlier, we mistakenly reported that this event had been cancelled. However, Saeki actually reveals to the magazine that SCE will be taking a somewhat different approach in holding the event. It's something that will surprise gamers, but it's being kept a secret for now.

Shifty Geezer said:
This is old and common info, so you should just pay more attention ...

I am very well aware of everything you've shown in your post. Old timelines (has the reference tool been released?) and an article from September that says the same thing as another news article that was previously linked to in this thread. Perhaps you need to pay more attention. ;)

Joe DeFuria said:
I am very well aware of everything you've shown in your post
Then why do you discount the official aims from Sony and say that people's expectations of a February event is based on little more than wishful thinking? We have Sony and 'devs' saying and hinting at a February event, and nothing so far to say it's been cancelled. That's more than wishful thinking. Perhaps a late confirmation of the event pushes the idea of a Feb event into optimism, but wishful thinking it isn't.

Well Sony may collect royalties on every Blu-Ray player (maybe Blu-Ray movies too?) but at the peak of the console cycle, they ship way more games than DVD or console hardware in a year.

So I would think the gaming business will generate more revenues?

What are Toshiba's revenues? I'm sure they don't separate out which part of their revenues are from DVD patents but if you look at their total revenues and compare them to Sony's revenues...

As for launching here before launching in Japan, there are a lot of nationalistic Japanese. When Sony launched a joint venture with Samsung, there were a lot of calls about Sony betraying the country and a lot of racist comments. Still, the Bravia line which came from this joint venture probably sells well in Japan. Maybe gaining share on Aquos as it has done in the US?

wco81 said:
Well Sony may collect royalties on every Blu-Ray player (maybe Blu-Ray movies too?) but at the peak of the console cycle, they ship way more games than DVD or console hardware in a year.

Depends. If people are buying PS3 primarily as an entree to bluray/hd movies this may NOT be true. More people watch movies than play VG IMHO.

Joe DeFuria said:
Old timelines (has the reference tool been released?)

Saw a post on Arstechnica from a guy claiming to know a Sony first-party developer who reportedly told him that they're still on "alpha" developer kits. "Beta" developer kits are due in February.

Haven't seen it referred to with those adjectives.

Joe DeFuria said:
I am very well aware of everything you've shown in your post. Old timelines (has the reference tool been released?) and an article from September that says the same thing as another news article that was previously linked to in this thread. Perhaps you need to pay more attention. ;)

Are you aware of what the Animation Director for God of War posted a couple of days ago on his blog? If not here is what he wrote.

Another crazy week of development has passed. We got the word from on high that we need to present our game to Sony worldwide reps at this big conference next month so the team is scrambling to put together a great presentation for that. I am going to be presenting the game to an auditorium of a couple hundred people, so that ought to be interesting. I wish we were further along so I had more to show, but I still think what we have is great so I am not too worried. The only tough thing is we had what amounts to about two weeks of advanced notice, so that is a tough one. This coupled with the finalizing of the script for our V.O. sessions that are beginning in a week or so has me running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Now of course he never says what the name of this "big conference" is, but it is keeping our hopes alive. ;)

http://corybarlog.modblog.com/?show=blogview&blog_id=803056

From Magicbox.com:

Sony announced they will have a conference called Destination PlayStation 2006 in Miami on February 27 - March 3, 2006. At the meeting Sony will discuss its plans and challenges in 2006.

Back