News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but you're using a different definition of terms to everyone else. "Weak" is used to describe the consoles relative to cutting edge graphics power at launch. XB360 and previous consoles were strong, providing an equivalent level of power to a decent (not necessarily monster) PC rig when they launched. These consoles managed that by being sold at a loss. XB1 and PS4 launched with at best middling graphics power relative to what PC is capable of - hence they are "weak". They are now matched by entry level graphics cards like the 750 Ti (although the 750 and nVidia's architecture is kinda exceptionally awesome).

As for power draw, PS3 used 200 watts at launch, 360 used 170W. Your XB1 sounds defective, or that's a fringe case and not the average requiring comparison with worst case last-gen consoles, because The Internet pegs XB1 power draw during game at <120W.

Hence by two parameters these consoles are 'weak' - weak compared to the state of the art for graphics, and weak compared to how much power they were given to work with when rendering games.

Shifty... Weak or powerfull, all is relativa. 1.8 TFLOPS used at max (with GPGPU in assync mode) shoud be able to provide quality games.
I finished MGS V in the PC (max detail, 1080p, 60 FPS), and played today Ground Zeroes on the 360. Weaker gfx, resolution and fps for shure, but still an heck of a game proving that 10 years old hardware can still do good! (The intro is amazing). So I think se can expect good things from PS4 and XBox One, as long se dont try to expect them to compete neck to neck with PC.

You can't be serious.
Yes, I'm serious. You can't have a discussion with people unless all are singing from the same hymn book, which sometimes means clarifying terms. 'Weak' is a relative metric, and subjective, so to argue against people using that as a description of these machines, you have to pin down how they are using those terms.

Then you can either agree with their position or challenge it, but at least it's the same position being talked about. So either you agree with my sentiments (current gen consoles launched well below state-of-the-art for graphics and are matched by entry level GPUs, and power draw is lomer than expected for a 'high power' console which in turn limits what the consoles can so), or you disagree at which point you should challenge those points showing how the consoles are a match for a top-end GPU and how the wattage isn't limiting.

Out with the old and in with the new. I really despise these mega theads as they make it extremely difficult to find whats being searched on, so I will be pruning things down by creating new 2016 editions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back