News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
XBOX phONE ?

The advert has a little bit of an identity crisis.

MS Ad said:
Division: Devices and Studios Engineering

We are looking for a Console Memory Development Engineer on the Xbox game console development team. The position involves the development, test and qualification of DRAM memory products functioning within Microsoft products. The role will work closely with electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, software engineers, test engineers, component engineers, and program managers.

So the post is in the Xbox game console development team but rather than specify you'll be working on Xbox products they go for "Microsoft products". It may just be a poorly worded ad, alternatively perhaps they've consolidated their hardware engineers in the Xbox console team or maybe it's mostly Xbox stuff but other stuff as well. Memory is memory.

There appears to be 1GB, 32 bit GDDR3 up to 2.6 gHz (effective), but I can't find any signs of 32-bit DDR3 products ... will keep looking though.

Edit: this perhaps?

http://www.skhynix.com/en/pr_room/news-data-view.jsp?search.seq=2235&search.gubun=0014

Edit 2: How would this be likely to fare cost wise against GDDR5?

Its seems the surface pro 3s (4 GB parts anyway) are sporting 1 GB x32 LPDDR3 chips running at 1600 MHz from Samsung. The 8 GB configs must be running 2 GB parts with 2 on front and 2 on back.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Edit] Seems that backgrounds will initially be limited to unlocked achievement art, but a further update will allow any image by way of upload through the Media Player.
Both options are actually already available on the preview update. Now, lets hope they add background support from IE.

Xbox One screenshot feature won't be out until 2015

More non-news but Eurogamer are reporting that the Xbox One's screenshot feature won't be released until 2015.

Perplexingly Phil Spencer said "It's a little more technically challenging than I thought". Maybe you should let Microsoft's programmers have a go while you stick to more strategic decisions, Phil :yep2:

Bear in mind that there is only one more update in 2014 that hasn't been seen/announced. November's update has been announced and is already being used by the preview members, which only leaves December's update (should there be one) an unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
More non-news but Eurogamer are reporting that the Xbox One's screenshot feature won't be released until 2015.

Perplexingly Phil Spencer said "It's a little more technically challenging than I thought". Maybe you should let Microsoft's programmers have a go while you stick to more strategic decisions, Phil :yep2:

This is actually part of Phil Spencer's 45 minute state of the union style interview on Podcast Unlocked which is imo worthwhile news on it's own.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/23/podcast-unlocked-episode-167-phil-spencer-interview

I haven't listened to the whole podcast yet, but on the screenshot thing Phil stressed he brings it up to the engineers every time, so it's obviously something hes pushing and it will get done.

Basically the part Eurogamer is talking about he said screenshots was actually more technically challenging than you'd expect, (since this is a tech forum maybe some of you all could guess at why this is?), but now the engineers think they see a clear way forward so now it's just a matter of implementing it, so it's definitely coming but no ETA.

One of the most interesting parts to me was McCaffrey asked basically about the power issue and if Phil would have pushed for more power in X1 if he had been head of Xbox at the time. Great question there. Phil's reply was basically along the lines of it would be easy and make him look like a great guy in hindsight to say yeah, he would have pushed for 3 teraflops or whatever, but without having been there and knowing all the details and constraints they had, he didn't want to second guess or throw the team under the bus now. He did note the reliability as a overlooked positive with no RROD this time. And then he went on to do a bit of PR speak about how he was proud of what they've done recently to help devs maximize the X1 power (basically freeing Kinect 10% and such presumably).

So maybe the answer wasn't perfectly what I wanted, but if I had to hazard a guess I would guess Phil will indeed demand powerful hardware next time, because he is a gamers first guy (as he mentioned in other parts of the interview). Heck I'm just glad he even knows what a teraflop is.

Eurogamer are distorting things. :/ He explained why it is more challenging than expected. The team working on the feature doesn't just want to clip a frame from a video. :smile2:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...why-screenshots-aren-t-coming-until-2015.aspx

He also said that they confused people on the Xbox One specs and multimedia capabilities, and he will take responsibility for that:

http://www.totalxbox.com/82158/we-c...pencer-on-xbox-ones-specs-and-media-features/

Out of curiosity, is that the way PS4 does it?
Actually, I have no idea. It's what the article says but that statement doesn't even sound to be aware of the existence of other consoles, like..., they are not stating that as a comparison --Vita featured that on launch day, for instance.

X360 originally had a similar feature but some journalists had access to developers kits and found out that PGR3 produced 1024x600 resolution screenshots --which told the actual resolution the game ran at! :)

Maybe that's the reason they don't want to keep that feature simple on the Xbox One?

The screenshots are 1080p, they look very clean, just a bit of jpeg mosquito noise. The DVR is 720p and also has some very visible compression, so if they used a frame from that encoding, I think it would be obvious. I wanted to try a screen grab from a game that is rendering less than 1080p to see how it behaves, but I don't have any.

Maybe the complexity on XB1 is caused by all the display panes and the scaler, that would need to be reprocessed since there's no exact frame buffer anywhere in memory that represent the exact output? I imagine a dynamic resolution game with a full resolution HUD overlay, and an intense use of the scaler's gamma/color boost and edge enhancement. A screen grab doesn't seem easy.

I would be surprised if the challenge was in grabbing the actual screen info since it's composited by the host OS anyway. I'd venture to guess that the real work revolves around what to do with the screenshot once it's captured. They probably never designed upload to deal with stills, so they probably have to build that out in terms organizing their location, and allow for labeling and searching. And if they are going to release a feature like this, peoples expectation would be for easy sharing and uploading to popular services and they may potentially want to include some on board editing functionality ala instagram or whatever. If it were simply taking screenshots and saving them somewhere you can't access it may be done already.

No, screenshots are 1080p with fairly minimal compression artifacts. Video is recorded at 720p using a PSP encoding profile at a decently high bitrate. While video capture is very decent, screenshots clearly look better.

Might be the size of the capture that they are baulking at. Bunch of screencaps highlighting a resolution difference to PS4 is not great advertising, but the screen-captures are probably taken directly from the front buffer, where the scaling to 1080p is done in the display pipeline.

Would be nice to have an "advanced" option for storing lossless PNG, either locally or to the alotted cloud storage, for those that care while having the usual "upload friendly" compressed version for the masses.

Wonder how they'll handle the actual button input for taking the shots.

Might be the size of the capture that they are baulking at. Bunch of screencaps highlighting a resolution difference to PS4 is not great advertising, but the screen-captures are probably taken directly from the front buffer, where the scaling to 1080p is done in the display pipeline.

heh. I don't suppose they would be looking for a way to hijack the internal resolution? :runaway:

This is actually part of Phil Spencer's 45 minute state of the union style interview on Podcast Unlocked which is imo worthwhile news on it's own.
Report back if there's anything notable. IGN seem good at getting execs, they had Shuhei Yoshida on the Beyond (PS) podcast a couple of months back.

Eurogamer are distorting things. :/ He explained why it is more challenging than expected. The team working on the feature doesn't just want to clip a frame from a video. :smile2:
Abridging isn't distorting :nope:

WWonder how they'll handle the actual button input for taking the shots.

How about modifying the home button behaviour? Maybe a quick tap for screenshot and a slighting longer tap for normal behaviour. Or single tap vs. double tap.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...why-screenshots-aren-t-coming-until-2015.aspx
I can't believe OShasn't access to the front buffer, so a screen capture should be rudimentary. Maybe the problem is more one of interface? At the moment you can capture video, and someone perhaps suggested just take a frame from that video for an easy solution. This is turned down for quality purposes, so MS have to find a way to get the capturing of a screenshot.

TBH I don't believe it's tricky. Whatever code they have sitting on the game output and feeding into a video capture service could (in principal) just as readily add a 'capture still' option. It's the sort of problem that should be delegable to a junior programmer. It's possibly a little matter of some complexities (maybe conflicts of services?) and priorities, and the response is, dare I say it, a little PR driven.

It's certainly quite curious.

I can't believe OShasn't access to the front buffer, so a screen capture should be rudimentary.

Ahh, but which OS? I don't think we have any appreciable understanding of the relationships between the game OS, app OS and hypervisor, nor their dependences and responsibilities. Nor do we know what Microsoft's priority was when architecting the system, what is security or performance?

Which OS manages the UI and which is responsible for compositing the imagery from the game OS and app OS and outputting it? Because if it isn't the same OS and Microsoft's priority was security then that that could be tricky. Depending on if your goal is to capture just the game or the final composted image with intruding UI elements. Are their any DRM or copyright issues and do Microsoft need to give games/apps and opt-out for screenshots?

Video capture is probably easier because this is managed by the H.264 encoder as video is output by the console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back