News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Acert93, Mar 8, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warb

Veteran

2. dagamer

Veteran

There's no HDMI control of boxes because for some odd reason, no cable box supports it, even though there are plenty of functions in the HDMI-CEC spec that would get rid of this IR business with cable boxes.

HDMI-CEC is still in the Xbox One, that's how it can turn your TV on. It would be silly to rip that out, it's just using pin 13 to send commands to devices in the chain.

3. SlimJim

Banned

Sorry for your misfortune, but that was actually a great read.

I am sure to never touch a 'smart' remote now :eek:

(There should be some EU regulations that remotes have to be compatible or something)

4. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

That's a nice feature.

5. Bagel seed

Veteran

Live gameplay streaming delayed until first part of 2014

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/live-gameplay-streaming-on-xbox-one-delayed-until-2014/

Hope it's not delayed too long for you owners. Live streaming and observing is so nice when it's built in.

6. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

Twtich tv app is out at launch (I think) if you want to watch your DOTA garbage ;) You can watch, but you can't stream.

8. Phil

Phil wipEout bastard
    Veteran

:lol:

While typing that down, I actually felt the entire frustration of that evening materialize in front of me. :oops:

I actually don't know if I ever will have the nerves to look at one of these remotes again without wanting to scorch down one of these companies.

To be fair though; if the remote has a learning ability and enough memory to save/clone a signal for every button times the number of virtual remotes, it's great. My Rotel supplied remote that came with my audio processor is pure awesomeness. I pretty much learned every function from the remotes I wanted to get rid of and it's worked flawless. The net result being; I only have one remote at my place - and my XBMC box has every button mapped. So, my advice, take care when getting cheap remotes with learning ability.

So, having that all said, I really hope the Xbox doesn't rely on IR codes and have some basic learning ability for the functions that might not work as expected. If it does, even if the IR code is missing, it's a problem solved and something less people will get fed up about.

And if not - I'll be happy to read this topic with some popcorn as other people fight through issues like these (well assuming I'm not the only one outthere). One things for certain though - as the launch draws near, I for one am highly anticipating the first impressions as people get theirs.

9. RudeCurve

Banned

Sweet, now I can make full use of that massive 25GB that MS gave me for free....:grin:

That's good news as my Toshiba TV supports that function.

#7969 RudeCurve, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  10. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

Off topic, but the new logitech harmony remotes with the separate base station IR transmitter are really good, I hated my logitech 880, but the new one is really nice. Better button feel and no longer any need to hold the remote pointed at the TV for 5+seconds. Doesn't resolve the unsupported device issue though.

FWIW none of the other "universal remotes" I own will control all of my devices, older receivers tend to cause the most issues IME.

11. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

12. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

This can potentially mean that the console will have a decent calibrator built-in.

Taking into account how obsessive I am with those things I can't wait to try it.

As of currently I am using the settings djkribbles helped me to create and a natural setting with very little but functional calibration for 3D content because the extra brightness helps with passive glasses.

I have been searching for Stacey Spears on, hoping to find an online tutorial for calibration on youtube or something and I came across this.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stacey-spears/9/a24/611

He has registered quite a few patents, didn't he?

13. bkilian

Veteran

It's not in the cable provider's interests to support HDMI-CEC. They want you to use their cable box as primary, that's how they get their ancillary revenue (video on demand)

14. bkilian

Veteran

Stacey is a smart guy, and he not only loves video and audio stuff, he _lives_ it.

15. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Unlimited Skydrive space and the fact that your friends can see when you uploaded a video is a good thing.

Just imagine the potential in a game like Skyrim where fun things can happen all the time!

Some really interesting tidbits from the webpage about calibration which bkillian has shared:

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/?portfolio=getting-started-with-the-high-definition-benchmark-2

This last one related to the RGB -I guess?- is very interesting. :smile2: Should I set the console to Standard RGB instead of Full RGB? I am all for it if need be!

16. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

: -) I think passionate people about what they really like or love has a better chance to succeed, provided they can sell their ideas well, of course.

This has happened a handful times, and not many people achieve both things. I think this one is a case where the person succeeds.

I am also living something, basically the hype. Today I couldn't sleep well over the fact that I wanted to see a phone message or receiving an email telling me that I can pay the console and the shipment would be due soon.

Needless to say that I didn't receive any of them. :sad: :yelling::embarrased::no::nope:

I've never been this hyped in my entire life. Yes, I had bought the Xbox 360 on launch date, but then I had purchased the original Xbox less than a year ago, during Christmas 2004.

This time around though, it has been 8 years!... And this is the most anticipated device of my life!! I think.

[​IMG]

17. -tkf-

Legend

18. blakjedi

Veteran

I agree. One can NEVER be sure what MS is up to.

19. iceberg187

Regular

This is supposedly from Heavy.com

Broke embargo but pulled it back

20. Bagel seed

Veteran

Not really weird anymore I think. As Albert said DRM cancellation fckd things up somewhat. Something has to take a hit to get the rest of it up and running in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.