New Xbox Experience coming Nov 19th

If y ou have a wireless laptop why don't you put it by your xbox and what its performance. My friend had a similar problem with netflix but it was the strength of his wireless signal that kept changing where his xbox was. I solved this with a bigger antenna for his router. Perhaps you might need to do the same or if the xbox wifi adapter can upgrade the antenna do that there. This is what i used

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127063

I'll need to look at that thanks. My laptop wireless gets consistently better reception (full 54) in the same bedroom as X360 getting only 3/4 bars

HD on your Netflix Ready Device

Certain titles are available to watch in HD on your Netflix ready device. In order to watch in HD you need:
  • A HD TV and component or HDMI connection from your Netflix ready device to your TV
  • A high-speed internet connection at time of playback (typically 5 Mbps or higher)

I'm out of luck here with my ghetto 3Mbps conection ;) :p

As far as I know, wireless g isn't fast enough to stream HD anyway, whether Netflix or otherwise. That's why the MS official wireless adapter is so expensive: because wireless a (or n) is mandated for HD streaming.

As far as I know, wireless g isn't fast enough to stream HD anyway, whether Netflix or otherwise. That's why the MS official wireless adapter is so expensive: because wireless a (or n) is mandated for HD streaming.

I was under the impression that the Xbox Wireless Adapter is a G model.

edit: It actually supports a/b/g, sorry for the confusion.

I use the wireless adapter on a to my sons 360, g was just not good enough in actual throughout for streaming to his room. The downside to being n with a is that the PS3 and my iPhone cannot connect wirelessly.

You couldnt configure your router to accept multiple/different signals?? I dont personally own a N model though I have been contemplating the purchase of one. The inability to align various grade signals would definitely affect my purchase. What model-brand did you buy??

you are right ... i don't know why i was thinking g was good enough for Hd streaming, I could swear i remember an interview saying it was but maybe that was a.

Anywho... it helped a bit when I actually CHOSE a HiDef encoded movie from Netflix :oops:

for some reason i had 4 bars this time as well and 30rock looked pretty good, not as good as my 720p catv (actually 1080i from NBC) version but better than the SD stuff.

gonna have to look at an n or a? (which is better?) and an antenna booster.

Two story home, 360 upstairs on other side of house from router. damn shame, bought this house new as a spec on short notice last year and no chance to add my dream upgrade of wired cat5. :(

802.11A does not have higher bandwidth than G. The price is to make a profit.

Not being able to get a HD stream from Netflix (>5Mbps) has nothing to do with 802.11G which is 54Mbps, it's the DSL that's the issue.

Not being able to get a HD stream from Netflix (>5Mbps) has nothing to do with 802.11G which is 54Mbps, it's the DSL that's the issue.

Depends on where you are on the range. I notice that G connections change alot more often than a connections which are more stable.

Not necessarily. While A and G both have the same theoretical max of 54Mbps, in practice, they achieve only about half that, and G falls behind in net throughput for a couple of reasons:
It uses the 2.4GHz band, which is also occupied by pretty much every other wireless device out there, including your XBox controllers, cordless phones, microwaves, and other 802.11b and g networks, significantly increasing the likelyhood of interference and dropped packets. (802.11a uses the 5GHz band, which is wider, and has almost no interference)
It generally coexists with a 802.11b stack on the same network device. If you connect an 802.11b device to a 802.11g hub, all your other 802.11g devices automatically drop down to a much lower rate, not much higher than the 802.11b device. (802.11a doesn't have this problem, since it doesn't coexist with any other standard)

Unless you have _only_ 802.11g devices on your network, and no other networks or devices in the area, 802.11a will be significantly faster and more stable. And note that the net throughput for 802.11b will generally be below 5Mbps (lots of error correction), which will almost certainly mess with netflix rates, as will dropped packets from interference, even with higher throughput.

Is 802.11b commonplace? I know in the UK wireless didn't really start taking off until 802.11g was out (basically because the other options were a bit rubbish...) and every network I come across is 'g' with narry a 'b' in sight.

b devices were very common a couple years ago but since the cost of g devices came down so fast you don't see many b only devices anymore, g devices are backwards compatible with b devices.

As mentioned earlier, whenever you are running a WiFi network in mixed mode you will have lower overall performance than a single mode only network. Also some wireless devices have a Turbo mode that will improve performance.

Is 802.11b commonplace? I know in the UK wireless didn't really start taking off until 802.11g was out (basically because the other options were a bit rubbish...) and every network I come across is 'g' with narry a 'b' in sight.

I'm in the US, but I started using 802.11b 8 years ago, and although my routers are now 802.11g capable, I only use 802.11b PCMCIA cards on my systems since I can't be bothered to upgrade. Anything that requires media streaming is connected via 10-base-T and are located near my routers.

I got the NXE last week after our long move and I must say I really like it. I liked the PS3 dashboard a lot due to its simplicity and quick navigation and the NXE is essentially the same sliding panel design tipped on its side with a more graphical orientation.

Which brings me to the other thing I like: more prominent exposure to menues and items. e.g. I didn't know in the past there was a daily Xbox show. The NXE gives much better exposure to the various features on the dashboard.

Avitars are cute (my wife and kids like them a lot) but the dashboard itself is a LOT better. Things don't seem so barried now. The fact you can install games to the HDD (cuts down on noise a lot which helps with my new arrangement) and the "Party" feature is excellent. Getting people together and sending an invite was never easier.

I still don't get why new aspects/resolutions are getting TLC when my precious 1280x1024 screws up a number of games (like Halo 3) but my guess is that the footprint allocation for scaling/letterboxing the framebuffer chokes on the 4:3 aspect. Which should be a reason the TRCs address this issue... although like MSAA it appears MGS studios are by far the worst offenders of violating such rules.

1280x1024 isn't even 4:3... it's that bizarre 5:4 resolution that's the bane of all PC developers, and a real conundrum for a console that's designed for 16:9.

I am really happy with the new support for my 16:10 screen.

1280x1024 isn't even 4:3... it's that bizarre 5:4 resolution that's the bane of all PC developers, and a real conundrum for a console that's designed for 16:9.

Ahhh tagged for being lazy. Anyhow, 1280x1024 should be a simple task in theory. The 360 has shown that a) it can scale aspect to various resolutions and b) letterbox. 1280x1024 just happens to also have the same horizontal pixels as 720p. We already see how most games cope flawlessly. Unlike a 1440x900 display or whatnot which needs to be both scaled and letterboxed (or stretched) the PC-developer-annoyance should be less of a factor.

And in fact is in most cases ... MS and MGS being the worst offenders.

Plenty of games have figured this problem out w/ the 360. And MS is showing that they can adjust to a non-16:9 aspect, letterboxed, with a different resolution. That sounds much harder to accomplish unless there is a memory issue. Maybe MS's reps here would mind clarifying the situation.

I am really happy with the new support for my 16:10 screen.

Rub it in why don't you? :p

I'm also a little frustrated that some things take an age to load. Buying anything on marketplace has far too many "waits" in the process. Takes the "impulse" out of the purchases to the extent that I think "oh hell I don't really need to buy that game" and cancel while it waits to load! That's one lost sale for Meteos Wars, though I was patient enough to buy The Maw.

I'm also a little frustrated that some things take an age to load. Buying anything on marketplace has far too many "waits" in the process. Takes the "impulse" out of the purchases to the extent that I think "oh hell I don't really need to buy that game" and cancel while it waits to load! That's one lost sale for Meteos Wars, though I was patient enough to buy The Maw.

Is the Maw any good?
I was looking to the developers on Maj Nelson's podcast and it seemed pretty interesting.

Back