New sony online gaming survey....

Kb-Smoker

Regular
This was sent out to sony beta members.
serv6ng.jpg

* 1. On a typical day, how often do you play games online?
* 2. Do you own a PSP?
* 3. What is your preferred Online gaming format?
* 4. What Online Gaming Formats do you own?
* 5. Do you think you will purchase a PS3?
* 6. A single identity and password for all online games?
* 7. Global Lobbies allowing you to play against anyone in the world?
* 8. Game Lobbies should be language based. (English, French, German etc)
* 9. Game Lobbies should be based geographically.
* 10. A standard, interactive lobby structure for all games.
* 11. Headset support in all online games?
* 12. A QWERTY keyboard as standard for messaging.
* 13. USB Keyboard support for every online title.
* 14. Friend List allowing you to see online/offline status?
* 15. Friend List allowing you to see what game your friends are playing?
* 16. Private Messaging across games?
* 17. A feedback rating allowing you to choose who you play against?
* 18. Ability to remove players out via a majority vote?
* 19. Game Host has the ability to remove players?
* 20. Automatically filter opponents based on connection quality?
* 21. The ability to download music, game demos and other content?
* 22. Ability to access the dedicated game forum whilst in game?
* 23. Ability to take screenshots during the game and share them with friends?
* 24. Ability to take movie clips in game and share them with friends?
* 25. Ability to play my music during a game?
* 26. An in game grief reporting system?
* 27. Ability to access and manage your gaming profile via PC, PSP as well as PS3?
* 28. Community features without the need for a game disc.
* 29. Ability to choose an Avatar for all online titles.
* 30. The inclusion of a web browser.
* 31. A specific lobby only for Adults.
* 32. Service should feature a Global Ranking system for each game.
* 33. Game Lobbies should be Eyetoy compatible.

Here is the other online gaming survey from 10-21
1. Which option would improve your online gaming experience the most? (Please select one.)

Friend locator/Buddy list
Single ID across games
Headset capability for every game
Cheat disabling
Downloadable content
Game tournaments
Online cooperative gaming
Other

2. How important is the following to your overall console online gaming experience?

Web browser
Chat rooms
Buddy list
Hard disk drive
Single identifier across all games
Strict etiquette and rule enforcement
Downloadable content
Updates for sports rosters
Other updates
Voice headsets for some games
Voice headsets for all games
Instant Message capabilites

3. How do you most often arrange an online game with your friends? (Please select one.)

Message boards
Run next door
Call them
Instant messaging
Email them
Text messaging

Hope we get most of these features.

1up also has article on this new survey.

http://egm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147123

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares? Only an idiot is going to think they've been making no progress.
They could just be figuring out how to brand PSOnline to consumers or how to prioritise new features. Some of that stuff is above and beyond what XBLive has delivered.

They'll probably have a basic online system then upgrade.

Or they have already implemented these features and are seeing their relevance.

My observation is the lack of pricing questions.

Joe DeFuria said:
I would think that prospective PS3 customers do.
That this survey wasn't conducted a year ago? Thats what I was referring to (its importance, or lack thereof).

Nicked said:
That this survey wasn't conducted a year ago? Thats what I was referring to (its importance, or lack thereof).
I beleive this is a different survey. I got the previous one. So like you said, only an idiot is going to think they've been making no progress.

I havent gotten this one yet, but i'll be sure to confirm when I do.

Nicked said:
Joe is pointing out that PS3 customers would care that this survey was not performed a year ago, since if Sony is conducting such a survey today, it would indicate that they are still working on online features.

seismologist said:
* 22. Ability to access the dedicated game forum whilst in game?

They need to have this feature for every game.
I agree. The follow up though is: how much are you willing to pay for this feature?

Sis said:
Joe is pointing out that PS3 customers would care that this survey was not performed a year ago, since if Sony is conducting such a survey today, it would indicate that they are still working on online features.

*ding, ding...we have a winnah...*

seismologist said:
well, nothing since the alternative is to just walk upstairs to my PC and log onto gamefaqs.
Between "nothing" and "enough to prove financially sustainable" is the problem with this feature.

seismologist said:
well, nothing since the alternative is to just walk upstairs to my PC and log onto gamefaqs.

So then you really *don't* want the feature.

And this is why customer survyeys (from any company) tend to give misleading information, and then the customers ask "why the fvck was this implemented...and not this..." etc.

Consumers often don't communicate very well what they actually would pay for. The trick with questionnaires is to try and fool the consumer into giving that information. ;)

Sis said:
I realised that.

Which is why I made an alternative case (branding) for what this survey may be for. And if not, none of these features form the core of an online service, in fact, most are above and beyond what anyone would expect from a (presumably) free service.

Sis said:
We don't know why they sent out this survey. i think this survey is for marketing the ps3 online gaming. Who knows....this isn't the first survey like this. :???:

I would be a little worried that this is just being asked.

However, it could also be at a stage right now where they have basic support and some features implemented but due to time constraints trying to decide which key features they should try to get in prior to launch.

So depending on how you want to look at it, glass half full/empty. It can be either case.

It could also be that Sony didn't want to give any early hints to it's online strategy. You don't need gamers to tell you what key features you "should have". But you do need consumers opinion to know what would be the most widely requested feature(s).

Speng.

Kb-Smoker said:
We don't know why they sent out this survey. i think this survey is for marketing the ps3 online gaming. Who knows....this isn't the first survey like this. :???:
So I'm a little confused then. If you say "who knows" then why'd you post it? It's obviously relevant somehow. If it wasn't to get theories about why the survey is being performed, what's the point?

speng said:
However, it could also be at a stage right now where they have basic support and some features implemented but due to time constraints trying to decide which key features they should try to get in prior to launch.
It's my experience that this type of survey is typically performed when defining a version of the software. They may have a v1 already done and this could be about v2 offerings and so it may have no bearing on v1 features. (And replace v2 with v1.5 or 1.1 or what have you).

Sis said:
So I'm a little confused then. If you say "who knows" then why'd you post it? It's obviously relevant somehow. If it wasn't to get theories about why the survey is being performed, what's the point?
The main point was to show you a little info about what PS3 online gaming might look like. Not much is know and i think it a safe bet that sony has been working on this for awhile.

Back