New PS4 Smell

Seems like when downloading in standby ps4 is using more connections to download one game and higher speed is achieved.

I ordered a set these, Turtle Beach Ear Force PLas, to try out with a PS3 as a cheap solution for isolated audio for a planned PS3 LAN party. They use USB for power and chat and composite (L/R) for game audio. On a whim, I plugged them into the PS4 via USB only. It recognized them as headphones and asked for an assigned user. I was able to select All Audio in Output to Headphones like I would with a standard 3.5mm set hooked up to the DS4 and I seemed to be able to get mic input from the headset as well. I was not able to test with a full chat. Nonetheless, I was surprised that they worked since I thought USB headset support wasn't planned until a later update, along with the wireless Pulse sets (with the USB dongle). The only thing that didn't seem to work was voice recognition. Although for my testing I had unplugged the PS Camera after everything was already powered on in order to isolate any mic input to the headset. That may or may not have impacted the results.

You could always use namebench to benchmark DNS. It'll tell you which is fastest overall, in burst, and single delivery.

You could always use namebench to benchmark DNS. It'll tell you which is fastest overall, in burst, and single delivery.

I walked through the project page and seems this tool is about different thing. It helps to bench speed of the dns responses. In our context this is irrelevant. We need to find a dns which resolves sony host names into server ips which give better download speed from user location.

I walked through the project page and seems this tool is about different thing. It helps to bench speed of the dns responses. In our context this is irrelevant. We need to find a dns which resolves sony host names into server ips which give better download speed from user location.

That might be impossible to do with any guarantee of success over time. You'd need to be constantly route tracing and changing your DNS according to whatever path was the quickest at any given time. Maybe some kind of ALB through a proxy on a home server. Have the Sony servers been run through robtex yet?

What's robtex?

It's an interesting little tool that gives you a complete breakdown of servers used within domain, MX, NS etc. Also any RBL info listed for the domain.

I've been using it in different forms since the dawn of the internet.

It's an interesting little tool that gives you a complete breakdown of servers used within domain, MX, NS etc. Also any RBL info listed for the domain.

I've been using it in different forms since the dawn of the internet.

Are you referring to robtex.com?

How do you do that? I am out of touch with network shenanigans for quite sometime. As of now, 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are working wonders. I am gwtting max speed.

My R1 button gets stuck sometimes, quite a lot of times actually. Anyone else have this issue? I mean, I depress the button and its stays there. THen I have to fiddle it to bring it back. Although I can still "press" it when its stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My R1 button gets stuck sometimes, quite a lot of times actually. Anyone else have this issue? I mean, I depress the button and its stays there. THen I have to fiddle it to bring it back. Although I can still "press" it when its stuck.

Haven't personally experienced this, but I've seen this issue reported quite a bit on NeoGaf along with the issue with the deteriorating thumbsticks.

So, does it come underw arranty? Can i get the controller changed without sending back my console?
If it affecting many, then I can't be suret he next controller won't have it, can I :(

along with the issue with the deteriorating thumbsticks.
What's happening with the thumbsticks? Is it just a matter of grinding off plastic from the rim and/or the shaft of the stick (which happened with older PS controllers as well and the 360 controller also), or an actual lack of input precision?

Haven't noticed any sticky L/R buttons myself either. Can it be fixed perhaps by screwing the controller open and shaving either the housing or the button itself? Seems wasteful to return the controller for a replacement (which may have sticky buttons also for all we know) considering all the components that goes into it, if a little DIY can remedy the issue...

What's happening with the thumbsticks? Is it just a matter of grinding off plastic from the rim and/or the shaft of the stick (which happened with older PS controllers as well and the 360 controller also), or an actual lack of input precision?[/.quote]That's happened to every PS3 controller I've seen too.

Haven't noticed any sticky L/R buttons myself either. Can it be fixed perhaps by screwing the controller open and shaving either the housing or the button itself? Seems wasteful to return the controller for a replacement (which may have sticky buttons also for all we know) considering all the components that goes into it, if a little DIY can remedy the issue...
Although true, sometimes it's hard to get a controller back to starting condition when you open it up, depending on how fiddly the innards are, and it really shouldn't be necessary. It sounds like there's an obstruction preventing full return which is a design/manufacturing fault, and consumers are entitled to a working controller rather than risking messing up their controller and voiding their warranty with a DIY fix. If the fix goes wrong (lose a tiny spring, snap a flimsy piece of plastic, etc.), the user has no claim for an official repair/replacement.

I've had this with my L1 button a bit while playing Pinball specifically / exclusively (which of course uses those two buttons a lot). If I change the angle just slightly with which I press the button, the problem goes away again, so it's easy to deal with. But yeah, it does happen to more people, I've seen it mentioned here and there and came across that quick fix video before (though didn't look at it yet, as it hasn't bothered me too much yet).

Luckily, my sticks have not been wearing in to that degree. In fact, none of my DS have ever shown this extend of wear and tear. I do have to admit though, that I am not a fan of the 'indented' sticks. I much prefered the rounded tops of the DS3. It's a minor quibble though.

Back