New PS4 Smell

patsu

Legend
Come on, you guys are killing us. Can we get some pics from those lucky enough to have one? This place seems dead since the launch when in fact it should be overflowing with impressions and pictures!

Epic fail. :devilish:

[whiff]

Ah~~~

EDIT:
[size=-2]Too busy right now. Later...[/size]

Which one of you is BacKSpacE ?
He's all over my "What's New" page.

The new "What's New" page is like a FaceBook page of your PSN friends' activities.

EDIT 2:
It's dabomb665m on B3D.

Congratulations patsu. I hope you enjoy your brand new console. Just drop the box behind some obscure place and unpack it already.

Feels like a solid piece of kit. The overall experience is remarkably more streamlined then the PS3 by a wide margin. A lot of the stupid things you needed to tell the PS3 to do, the PS4 starts doing automatically and it does it in the background. Downloading firmware updates, setting up the network, downloading/installing patches, it takes care of that without user interruption or input but you can check on what its doing in the notifications area. 1.5 adds a lot of additional customization options as well for things like notifications.

Did some quick testing and it boots faster from cold then from stand-by by about 7 seconds. Adding that info to the User FAQ thread.

There are still some odd quirks or things that can be streamlined more. But so far, overall, I'm quite pleased. Controller is awesome but that's already pretty well established. I need SCEA to stop pussyfooting around and release the official charging station in NA.

Camera setup for facial recognition was quite easy. As well is logging in with the camera (needs your face and DS4 color bar). However, adding keyboards/mice slows this down a small bit as you must associate each with a logged in user. Takes a few seconds and is only done at boot, or when a new device is added but its one of things that could perhaps be better streamlined.

I am actually rather concerned about the noise. Do we still have the stats somewhere that were done using a PS4?

I have a sound pressure meter at home and I think I'll do a quick comparasment of my PS3slim (the middle sized one). It's far too loud for my liking and I seriously hope the PS4 will be quieter.

I think most reviews say noise level is similar to PS3 Slim.

The loudest I have heard is actually the drive noises while the optical drive is spinning and installing to HDD. It is definitely audible. The fan itself seems ok since the unit is soft when not meddling with the optical drive.

I think if you're concerned with noise, play everything on the HDD.

FAN NOISE...............?

Jesus.

I think most reviews say noise level is similar to PS3 Slim.

The loudest I have heard is actually the drive noises while the optical drive is spinning and installing to HDD. It is definitely audible. The fan itself seems ok since the unit is soft when not meddling with the optical drive.

I think if you're concerned with noise, play everything on the HDD.

I believe my KZSF has been installed to the HDD. So it's humming softly now again.

Overall, I am rather pleased. UI is very responsive.

Switching between apps is quick but you may need to wait for the target app to refresh its contents (e.g., web pages to be refreshed, or Music Unlimited to recheck your playlist, etc.)

A co-worker stopped by to take a look. He just got a PS3 2 weeks ago to play some exclusives (Yay, Heavy Rain~). He will get a PS4 and XB1 too.

In case you're wondering, the features that stand out to me so far are:

1. Spectating (A little like OnLive's fullscreen grid of ongoing game sessions)

2. What's New (a la FaceBook)

Spectating is the single feature that sold the co-worker a PS4. :)
PSN seems to be holding up well here. Surprised to see everything working.

Haven't tried downloading a game yet though.

The store now allows multiple simultaneous downloads. 5 by my count. In store performance overall seems to be significantly better than PS3. There are still some annoyances after selecting "Download", however, that I'm hoping they'll clean up. I'm mainly referring to the brief pause as it adds the item to the download queue. Thankfully there is no longer a need to send each download to "background download", as everything is background downloaded and installed. There does seem to be an install process of some sort, although I can't say if its an trying as the PS3 one. I'll have to catch a app right as it downloads to see how quickly that happens. Either way, it happens in the background as well.

I'll be live streaming most of what I play throughout the day on Twitch. Please keep in mind this is not a "Let's Play", so, there wont' be any colorful commentary (or any commentary at all). Further, I have no intention of trying to hide spoilers, so, if you don't want to see them don't watch.

I'll be live streaming most of what I play throughout the day on Twitch. Please keep in mind this is not a "Let's Play", so, there wont' be any colorful commentary (or any commentary at all). Further, I have no intention of trying to hide spoilers, so, if you don't want to see them don't watch.

What's your PSN id ? I believe you are on my list.

The store now allows multiple simultaneous downloads. 5 by my count. In store performance overall seems to be significantly better than PS3. There are still some annoyances after selecting "Download", however, that I'm hoping they'll clean up. I'm mainly referring to the brief pause as it adds the item to the download queue. Thankfully there is no longer a need to send each download to "background download", as everything is background downloaded and installed. There does seem to be an install process of some sort, although I can't say if its an trying as the PS3 one. I'll have to catch a app right as it downloads to see how quickly that happens. Either way, it happens in the background as well.

What's the problem with Download list ?

I went to the store to download PS3-PS4 cross play games (Flower, SoundShapes).
It's cool that they flag out crossplay games. Was able to download them easily.

In fact, I did it over Vita RemotePlay. After a while, I got disconnected, but I am having some issue reconnecting the RemotePlay session. Will look into it.

What works flawlessly is the companion app.

What's that hissing sound ? Sounds more like a vacuum cleaner.

It should sound like a PC spinning up a 6x optical drive. I'll check more carefully this evening but I don't think it's the fan noise.

Well who knows, maybe it's someone's trolling...

What's your PSN id ? I believe you are on my list.

Darthrawn

What's the problem with Download list ?

I went to the store to download PS3-PS4 cross play games (Flower, SoundShapes).
It's cool that they flag out crossplay games. Was able to download them easily.

In fact, I did it over Vita RemotePlay. After a while, I got disconnected, but I am having some issue reconnecting the RemotePlay session. Will look into it.

What works flawlessly is the companion app.

Current download list is great (IMO). My main niggle is how after clicking download in the store you get a few seconds of the loading icons (those rectangles) as it adds items to the download list.

Back