"New" Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) [2021-07-06]

Lol. Ahem sorry.

I like the oled and the doubled storage, but what the point (when you already have a switch) to upgrade to that ?

Lol. Ahem sorry.

I like the oled and the doubled storage, but what the point (when you already have a switch) to upgrade to that ?

Because Nintendo knows their customers will buy ever minor iteration of their hardware before they do an earnest upgrade?

Literally a waste of money.

OLED screen but no higher resolution support. Only 64 GB of storage, probably same speed as the regular Switch. An ethernet port (even though you could buy an adapter for like $10 for the older system). A W I D E stand, waw. And....that's it.

Oh, and all for $50 more!!

Not worth it. Want Switch games? Get a regular Switch or Switch Lite. Want 3P current-gen games in around this price range? Get a Series S or PS5 Digital. Want a tablet with better specs, display, connectivity, input options and more games (outside of Nintendo's stuff) in this price range? Look at any number of offers from Lenovo, Dell, HP, or Asus for tablets or 2-in-1s.

I'm getting tired of Nintendo's technological complacency.

Once again, SDK leaks > rumors ...

A "Pro" SKU with Ampere and DLSS is purely a fantasy. The Switch needs to be tied to the Maxwell architecture in order to retain compatibility. If Nintendo decides to one day release a completely new system without this requirement then all hardware vendors become viable options to them

The Switch needs to be tied to the Maxwell architecture in order to retain compatibility
This so much. Most people either underestimate or are unaware of the difficulty in maintaining binary compatibility with GPUs. The new Switch is good looking though, especially with the dock.

upload_2021-7-7_9-9-40.png

Update

its nontendo logo

pic_tablemode.png

but whats the lower left block? micro sd card?

Last edited:
@orangpelupa I'm pretty sure that's just the Nintendo logo

images

I could be wrong though.

Edit:
Looked through the video again, and yea, there's still the USB port on the bottom.. so it's gotta just be the logo.

oled.png

This so much. Most people either underestimate or are unaware of the difficulty in maintaining binary compatibility with GPUs. The new Switch is good looking though, especially with the dock.

It's not fantastically hard, but hard enough that unless Nintendo were looking at a really big upgrade (like, new gen console big) it certainly wouldn't be worth all the hassle. Just a new screen does seem an odd upgrade, until we remember it's hardly new for Nintendo (Gameboy Color, sorta, Gameboy Advance SP backlit). Not to mention all the other tweaks they like to do with mobile stuff, really only 2 new SKUs for Switch is rather tame, assuming there isn't a third one before the Switch 2 or whatever.

Lol. Ahem sorry.

As you noted, it has an bigger OLED screen, twice the internal storage (unknown speed). It also has improved sound, the dock has built in ethernet for better network performance, it has a redesigned, much sturdier stand. Those are known. It’s a new physical design, so there are bound to be a ton of small nips and tucks that aren’t significant enough to warrant a bullet point.
They charge more because it is a better product than the original Switch that still has to sell to clear inventories. Whether the increased price remains over time remains to be seen if the OG Switch design is phased out, but it will surely be maintained over the holiday season and a bit beyond.

The Switch is anathema at B3D, but is the best selling console. I don’t see this OLED revision rocking the market boat much either way. It’s just a polished version of the same product. Whether you regard it as a polished gem or a polished turd is a matter of perspective, but it is polished!

Last edited:
What's their api's like?
Isn't it provided by Nvidia, I'm sure if anyone can they would be able to maintain compatibility.

btw could be this was a sudden change by nintendo due to the semiconductor production issues? like... they originally planned for switch 2/pro launch with OLED. but then decided to just launch the current switch with OLED instead.

Maybe production for the screen (and other things) was already running or contracted, while they turns out cant secure production capacity for their new SoC.

Well, I have 0 inside information but I fully expect an upgraded Switch to be announced soon because I just picked up 2 more Switch Lites for my youngest 2 kids for doing well in school this year. This is just how the universe works. I spend money on something, better stuff or a price drop gets announced. So anyone waiting on the Switch Pro... You're welcome.
3 weeks. The universe works as expected.

For once, I'm starting to see widespread disappointment and kickback in technical and even non-technical gaming websites. Everyone is disappointed with this, which is kind of a first for Nintendo I think.

The funniest thing about this upgrade for the 2017 Switch is that there's nothing in it that couldn't have been released in 2017.
There's zero dependence on the technological development that happened over the last 4.5 years.

Even TSMC's 16FF process that was adopted for the 2019 Mariko revision had been available since mid-2016 on nvidia GPUs.

A "Pro" SKU with Ampere and DLSS is purely a fantasy. The Switch needs to be tied to the Maxwell architecture in order to retain compatibility. If Nintendo decides to one day release a completely new system without this requirement then all hardware vendors become viable options to them
Hum?
The Series and PS5 are using RDNA2 GPUs which are flawlessly running games made for GCN (moreso in the case of the PS5, since the others are running over a virtual machine), but for a Tegra GPU they'd have to keep the Maxwell architecture?

I don't think there was as negative views of Wii U because it was still an upgrade above and beyond the Wii. May have been negative compared to the hardware rumors, but I don't think I saw disappointment in the media.

Then again, my memory can just as easily be shite and totes misremembering the general atmosphere from back then.

The Wii U's hardware was IIRC poorly received by developers, mostly because of the 3-core 1.2GHz PowerPC 750 that couldn't keep up with the PS360 CPUs.

The problem with consumers was a different one. Nintendo tried so desperately to hide the console behind the wuupad that people thought it was an add-on to the old Wii.
However, I didn't see a massive reaction of disappointment across the internet over the Wii U's processing power, because at least it was an upgrade over the Wii and it could play games in HD.

Right now, from the gaming-oriented websites to the Nintendo fan subreddits the thing I see the most is people warning others not to buy the OLED Switch because it's not an upgrade over the console they already own.
In fact, I see lots of people recommending the $50 cheaper Series S or the $50 more expensive PS5 Digital.

This is the perfect window of opportunity for:

1 - PS4 Go
2 - XBOne M
3 - SteamPal
4 - AYA Neo, ONE X Player & Friends
5 - Qualcomm's console

EDIT for the lulz:

g15DU6e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
- I want to play nintendo's games on the go
- Then buy a series s or if you have some more money a ps5

:nope: