New Nintendo Switch hardware versions?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by wco81, Oct 4, 2018.

1. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Shrink the electronics and boost the battery size to use up the newly free room.

2. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

That's asking too much already. :p CynicAl is simply hoping they just keep the same battery size with a lower power APU. :rolleyes:

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Oh my, CynicAI is quite the optimist. ;)

Regards,
    SB

AlBran and BRiT like this.
  4. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

5. Pressure

Veteran Regular

I'm still playing Breath of the Wild on the Wii U like some cave man ... waiting for a new revision.

DSoup likes this.
  6. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Improving the hand held portion of the Switch definitely makes sense. Portability could use some improvement and hopefully they can do something to ergonomics as well... Personally I would prefer XL with bigger screen though... I wonder if the less in demand 10nm process at TSMC could be better fit to a possible new Switch SOC than the more high demand 7nm process? I'd imagine those wafers to be cheaper and still more than suitable for this task.

7. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Personally I find the ergonomics pretty decent. Keep in mind it has to fit child hands as well as being portable so there is only so much they can do I guess. Bigger screen in the same form factor would be welcome though.

To be honest I don't think there is that much Nintendo can do at the moment. Especially if they stick to the dock/joycon concept which I hope they will as I believe that is by far the biggest reason Switch is selling well. That and I doubt there is must in terms of cost savings by removing the joycons and dock. Really shoulnd't be very expensive to produce.

Nintendo themselves said they aren't planning any revisions at the moment so.

Goodtwin likes this.
  8. wco81

Legend

WSJ article says there will be two different SKUs, both a more powerful version of the current Switch and a less-powerful, lower-cost version to try to bolster sales in the same price band as the 3DS.

Could be shown at E3 and shipping later this year:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/report-nintendo-planning-two-new-switch-models/

Goodtwin likes this.
  9. Entropy

Veteran

Actually, the original rumour source doesn't state that there will be a "more powerful" model. it says "One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers".
    What those enhanced features would be are guesses stacked on top of the original rumour.

Goodtwin and BRiT like this.
  10. wco81

Legend

Well more powerful would be the way to go. 1080p60 on the handheld and possibly 4K in docked mode.

That Tegra is so old they could easily drop in a more recent iteration.

11. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

What mobile processor is going to drive 4K docked? More like 1080p30 handheld, 1080p60 docked.

Goodtwin, Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  12. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Why not always just 1080p60 :)

13. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

The cheapo handheld only version feels overdue. Although, guess it doesn't really need to be handheld only. They could reduce the upfront cost a good amount by making 'dumb' joycons that only work when attached. They could sell a 'dock' pack with proper joycons.

#93 cheapchips, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  14. lefantome

Newcomer

cheap handheld and powerful home console make sense.

15. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Or just 720p/60 as we have now. On such a small screen you don't really need 1080p for gaming. Certainly not if it means going from 60 to 30fps.

Entropy and Silent_Buddha like this.
  16. wco81

Legend

Better quality screen, maybe a slimmer design and you might get a lot of current owners to re-buy it.

Goodtwin likes this.
  17. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

hopefully it will use those beautiful SHARP IGZO screens. Currently switch screen is pretty bad compared to mobile phones... dark gray = black, LCD is not glued to the outer plastic (make it easier to self-service tho), scanlines in certain angle and movements...

18. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

1080p handheld, 1440p + upscale docked. Framerate would be at the discretion of developers, as always.
    But they'd need a custom SoC from nvidia to achieve that. Parker doesn't seem powerful enough to do that and Xavier would be too big, expensive and power hungry.

It's also most probably not going to happen because custom hardware costs money and Nintendo is allergic to that.

Best case scenario would be Parker at Max-Q configuration for handheld (disabled Denver cores, A57 @ 1.2GHz, GPU @ 854MHz), and something below Max-P for docked, to achieve somewhat higher framerates in some cases.
    With the Switch, Nintendo introduced a console using a SoC that was 2 years old. Switch Pro would again introduce a console with the now 2-year-old Parker.

19. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I think 1080p in handheld mode would be a giant waste. The native 720p titles look great on the screen. Even the ones with no AA. Would be cool if a new Switch could lock that number down (as well as 1080p in docked mode which scales up nicely on 4K displays). If there's some extra hardware grunt left after that, maybe use it to push out some lods or things like that. Way more noticeable than resolution (and way more distracting imo) I'd love a bigger focus on efficiency. I consider the battery life in handheld mode to be barely acceptable at this point. If the engineers could eke out an extra hour it would be a fantastic improvement.

AlBran likes this.
  20. Sigfried1977

Veteran

So unless you're willing to spend extra, docked play is a no-go? Don't think that's going to happen. I think a lot of things can happen, but nothing that will affect the USP of the Switch. The Switch concept of having a portable that doubles as a console is the huge, easy-to-understand selling point the WiiU was sorely missing, and Nintendo isn't going to tinker with it.