Nintendo delays 64GB Media Cards until 2019

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Saw this on Ars @ https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...do-pushes-back-64gb-switch-game-card-rollout/

Those wishing for 64GB Nintendo Switch game cards will have to keep waiting. According to a Wall Street Journal report, Nintendo pushed back the rollout of 64GB game cards until 2019, citing "technical issues" as the problem. Game developers get Switch cards from Nintendo, so this means that they'll have to wait to get game cards that can support big titles.

Currently, Switch devices have 32GB of internal storage; however, it comes out to about 26GB of usable space, as a portion is reserved for system software. Switch game cards currently support 32GB of storage, and they're able to easily hold games like Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Nintendo planned to release 64GB game cards in the second half of 2018 to support larger games, but it appears those cards won't be ready for another full year or more. Some big titles require more storage from the get-go, and 32GB simply won't cut it.

----
So what could the technical trouble be? Is it because the carts are ROMs and density or cost isn't viabile?

I had bought a 16MB card for my palm Zire 71, and i played old point n click games with ScummVM on it, good old times.

Cost would have to be my guess. N̶a̶n̶d̶ Rom prices haven't fallen as predicted a few years ago.

I don't even know what base technology people are even using for ROM these days so it could well be cost because there probably isn't a great demand for 32+ gigabyte ROM masking. What would you even need that for? Most systems use flash with an emergency fallback ROM (measured in kilobytes) which facilitates restoring a valid image to flash in the event of flash corruption.

Maybe they dont have strong enough chemicals to make the larger sotrage carts taste as bad as the smaller carts? :p

I cant seem to find the link to the manufacturer website wherethey describe the tech that Nintendo is using. I remember it isnt straight up NAND but they had other product tech that made normally read/write into just read only and it didnt seem like typical eproms either. Also not sure if that was just a product offering which Nintendo may not be using. I'm pretty sure we had a discussion on it on these forums but I cant recall which thread.

Back