New MGS4 trailer at Sony Keynote (July 11th)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
TBH I like MGS4's retro feel. There's no attempt to be truly realistic. The guy can instantly pull an oil barrel out of his inventory, stored absolutely nowhere, and roll around in it. It's a game that doesn't get caught up in trying to be an emotionally enriching cinematic movie-esque extravaganza, but remains a computer game that's fun. It's refreshing in an industry that's currently hung-up on trying to compete with Hollywood.

Hmm... those are okay for gameplay reasons (Afterall Ratchet and Nathan Hale both carry 8 or more weapons in their pockets and can still splint/jump readily).
The retro feel is unique too, so it should stay.

I hope to see some growth in his interaction (beyond expanded CQC, hiding in boxes/barrels, setting up magazine traps). Something that would connect Snake with the players and his surrounding more. In Portable Ops, Big Boss has this cool "kidnap soldiers and convince them to join the cause" element that I thought gave the game a new dimension. You can decide who to kidnap to complement the overall Big Boss army stats. After they joined the rank, the player can also decide how to equip the soldiers. But it's a different game altogether (built on top of familiar MGS gameplay).

In MGS4, Snake is trapped in the world of revolutionary warfare. Private armies are using technologies to dominate the battlefields. According to one of the trailers, his alliances employed nano technology to let participating soldiers see through each other's eyes, so some form of game dynamics based on this idea can be developed further. Even the 4 beauties/beasts, I was wondering if it's possible for Snake to control them in-game (to developed this advanced nano-tech warfare idea further). So there is indeed a lot of possibilities in this game as long as the developers have enough time to do them properly.

At this moment, the thing that caught my eye so far is the weapon system. I saw some screenshots of detailed weapon components. Not sure if in-depth weapon customization is possible. His camo suit is interesting too. Earlier on, I thought it would replace the hide-in-a-box mechanics but apparently not (I guess the rolling barrel is more bullet proof than the suit)

So far, newer games are catching up pretty well in the visual department. I don't want MGS4 to look like yet another pretty game. While MGS4 may still be able to standout visually early/mid next year, I feel that it would also be important for Kojima Studio to bring in fresh gameplay ideas. Portable Ops showed me that they have the talent to do so, even to an old guard like Snake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Im not into the retro feel. I am a long time fan of the MG series but the gameplay seems to become more and more dated as the series moved forward. I love the boss battles in MGS games but the gameplay in between became really monotous and tedious. My replay of MGS3 consisted of quickly running through the levels avoiding combat unless absolutely necessary just to get to the boss battles and the cutscenes.

I am hoping for a break from the desire to maintain continuity and flesh out more of the core mechanics.

I hope they flesh out the CQC as I think this is one area where MGS4 can really set itself apart. A really robust and well designed close combat system would really differentiate this game from other shooters. I want to enjoy getting to the boss battles as much as I enjoy the boss battles themselves.

My purchase of a PS3 is dependent on how well MGS4 turns out.

Well, Im not into the retro feel. I am a long time fan of the MG series but the gameplay seems to become more and more dated as the series moved forward. I love the boss battles in MGS games but the gameplay in between became really monotous and tedious.

That's why I mentioned Portable Ops. ;-)
You get to prepare for the boss battles by collecting and tweaking your own army along the way too. I really really hope they have a second dimension "like this" in MGS4. But I may be asking too much ! T_T

My replay of MGS3 consisted of quickly running through the levels avoiding combat unless absolutely necessary just to get to the boss battles and the cutscenes.

I am hoping for a break from the desire to maintain continuity and flesh out more of the core mechanics.

I hope they flesh out the CQC as I think this is one area where MGS4 can really set itself apart. A really robust and well designed close combat system would really differentiate this game from other shooters.

Uncharted seems to do that pretty well (CQC + tactical shooting + enemy AI). According to http://kotaku.com/gaming/tgs07/metal-gear-solid-4-hands+on-impressions-plus-301773.php , Kojima Studio is indeed refreshing the core game mechanics (Camera view, CQC moves, control, HUD, radar, custom weapon with a large arsenal, ...). So the basic gameplay should be up-to-date by the time it's released.

Even then, I still hope they toy with the formula/story more (Instead of always giving us one giant Metal Gear battle in the end... well ok, the first AC!D game didn't have any Metal Gear in it. So it was kinda new too).

That's why I mentioned Portable Ops. ;-)
You get to prepare for the boss battles by collecting and tweaking your own army along the way too. I really really hope they have a second dimension "like this" in MGS4. But this may be asking too much ! T_T

Uncharted seems to do that pretty well (CQC + tactical shooting + enemy AI). According to http://kotaku.com/gaming/tgs07/metal-gear-solid-4-hands+on-impressions-plus-301773.php , Kojima Studio is indeed refreshing the core game mechanics (Camera view, CQC moves, control, HUD, radar, custom weapon with a large arsenal, ...). So the basic gameplay should be up-to-date by the time it's released.

Even then, I still hope they toy with the formula/story more (Instead of always giving us one giant Metal Gear battle in the end... well ok, the first AC!D game didn't have any Metal Gear in it. So it was kinda new too).
Last boss wasnt a Metal Gear in MGS2 either

:LOL: You're right. I only remember the last Metal Gear battle in the first game and totally forgot about Liquid.

Thanks for poiltely reminding me of the awesomeness that is Kojima.

IF I remember correctly, there is no last boss battle in MGS1?

I recall that the end was a motorcycle chase.

the end was a jeep chase ;)

anyway they better use the time and get Cam Clark on board or no sale.

Honestly patsu, you post to much on this forum. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? I need scissors! 61!

:D

You have to give some credit to a man stucked with his junior for 3 days while mom and other helpers have fun elsewhere. The kid basically shredded my time into meaningless minutes... well, you'll know next time.

btw... this is only a precursor to a 1.5 week business trip 2 weeks later.

:D

You have to give some credit to a man stucked with his junior for 3 days while mom and other helpers have fun elsewhere. The kid basically shredded my time into meaningless minutes... well, you'll know next time.

btw... this is only a precursor to a 1.5 week business trip 2 weeks later.

:cry:...guess you also should replay mgs2, my post was a slightly modified Colonel Campbell line from mgs2

Back