New Lair pics

Do any of you realise the "Realtime" video that Factor 5 showed might have been realtime in the same sense as an ATI demo or the 50 fps Unreal Tournament 2007 realtime rendered video at E3 2005? the REAL realtime is where you see the flaws and features of actual gameplay, like in Metal Gear Solid 4 or Lost Planet where you see flaws like odd texture popups or anti aliasing effects. The realtime video they showed was akin to the Ruby Demo shown by ATI on the Xbox 360 whicih will never be achieved nomatter how much they zoomed the camera in and around the characters

Do any of you realise the "Realtime" video that Factor 5 showed might have been realtime in the same sense as an ATI demo or the 50 fps Unreal Tournament 2007 realtime rendered video at E3 2005? the REAL realtime is where you see the flaws and features of actual gameplay, like in Metal Gear Solid 4 or Lost Planet where you see flaws like odd texture popups or anti aliasing effects. The realtime video they showed was akin to the Ruby Demo shown by ATI on the Xbox 360 whicih will never be achieved nomatter how much they zoomed the camera in and around the characters

Good point, but Titanio's colour corrected pic has a HUD so I still believe Factor 5 have delivered the goods. Although its still possible that it end up looking like the downgraded crappy pic. This is all very confusing.

Good point, but Titanio's colour corrected pic has a HUD so I still believe Factor 5 have delivered the goods. Although its still possible that it end up looking like the downgraded crappy pic. This is all very confusing.

That's actually THE SAME picture. Only one is so dark you can't see a bloody thing!! What are Factor 5 and Sony doing?? This is the time they should show off what the have, not release shots that are so crap it's embarrassing... And they're not even real screens!! This must be the beginning of the end, when companies release screens that are actually much worse than the real thing you know something is wrong...

E32005 unreal T 2007 was actually rendered of a highend PC...

Look at the fire in the first pic and then check the fire in the second..
These are so blatantly not the same build..

Then look at the texture/shader detail in the third pic and then in the second.. Its almost as if these pics represent the progressing of graphics fidelity as the developers enhanced there engine over time..

My problem is I *really* don't see how the first pic could be even some sort of test render.. If I were to test the game engine for (an example) how many dragons the system could cope with being rendered in real-time, i'd render them with full shader effects and target texture resolution since otherwise the purpose of the test itself wouldn't give you anywhere near a resonable result in the capabilities of the engine under any useful case..

Also i'm sure I remember the developers talking at SIGGRAPH I think it was, regarding the massive poly counts each dragon would have, something thats *clearly* missing from the first pic..

To me the first pic *screams* PSP (iminent announcement at TGS maybe?) whilst i'm more concerned regarding the detail levels of the dragons in the second pic (which from the looks of the soldiers, not to mention the numbers, shows this is a next gen console rendering) and also the fire effects on the fourth pic on the website..

However I know factor 5 and the emphasis they've put into eye candy on their games previously so i'm hardly worried, moreso i'm anxious to see the game in motion at TGS and find out exactly what the game mechanics entail..

EDIT: I recently played rogue squadron on the gamecube and as a result I really have alot of confidence in this company when it comes to pushing the graphical envelope.. I mean, any dev team that can make a 1st generation GC game look almost as good as (and in some cases better) than even some of the 1st generation Xbox360 titles ("Gun" anyone?) deserves the benefit of the doubt..

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the fire in the first pic and then check the fire in the second..
These are so blatantly not the same build..

Then look at the texture/shader detail in the third pic and then in the second.. Its almost as if these pics represent the progressing of graphics fidelity as the developers enhanced there engine over time..

My problem is I *really* don't see how the first pic could be even some sort of test render.. If I were to test the game engine for (an example) how many dragons the system could cope with being rendered in real-time, i'd render them with full shader effects and target texture resolution since otherwise the purpose of the test itself wouldn't give you anywhere near a resonable result in the capabilities of the engine under any useful case..

Also i'm sure I remember the developers talking at SIGGRAPH I think it was, regarding the massive poly counts each dragon would have, something thats *clearly* missing from the first pic..

To me the first pic *screams* PSP (iminent announcement at TGS maybe?) whilst i'm more concerned regarding the detail levels of the dragons in the second pic (which from the looks of the soldiers, not to mention the numbers, shows this is a next gen console rendering) and also the fire effects on the fourth pic on the website..

However I know factor 5 and the emphasis they've put into eye candy on their games previously so i'm hardly worried, moreso i'm anxious to see the game in motion at TGS and find out exactly what the game mechanics entail..

EDIT: I recently played rogue squadron on the gamecube and as a result I really have alot of confidence in this company when it comes to pushing the graphical envelope.. I mean, any dev team that can make a 1st generation GC game look almost as good as (and in some cases better) than even some of the 1st generation Xbox360 titles ("Gun" anyone?) deserves the benefit of the doubt..

there is a much shorter and simpler answer than all that..

1st screenshot is gameplay, the other 2 are not. simple

If you signed up to the forum just to troll and tell us how Sony are crap, you could have spared us. Really, you've done nothing else since your first post, 5 posts ago...

Everyone is entitled to their oppinion but I must say I disagree with you ferverently..

Being a programmer myself and knowing what my Geforce 7800 GTX in my PC at home is capable of, I really doubt the 1st screen is anywhere near representative of the actual game Lair (being developed by some of the most talented and performance hungry programmers in the industry)..

I wonder if Bungie released an image of Halo 3 with the same lack of shader effects and low res textures/geometry in the first pic here would you be claiming "its a recent pic so it *must* be what the game looks like now!!" as you are now..?

The fact that i've seen better not only from the developer regarding the same game, but from every other PS3 game which has released real-time footage/screens so far, coupled with the fact that this same batch of screens show a shameless degree of inconsistency, leads me to believe that your claim maybe waaay out IMHO..

As it's been iterated numerous times so far in this thread, lets just wait until TGS to see who's right..

Perhaps gameplay from VERY EARLY BUILD. That looks like god damn PS2 screenshot. I'll wait til TGS, I'm pretty damn sure it will blow our heads off when its running in motion with full eye candies.

Guys, this is way to much talk here IMHO. These screens look very ugly. There's not much to debate about this...

The official Japanese site says the game supports the 6-axis sensor system in the controller.

Wow that looks like a smoking pile of expletives.

Are monkey's running Sony's PR department these days? Why would anyone release these shots? This is shocking.

Wow that looks like a smoking pile of expletives.

Are monkey's running Sony's PR department these days? Why would anyone release these shots? This is shocking.

Perhaps they are making the game look bad now with these screenshots, but then they drop the nuclear missile in TGS and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! The shockwave will turn gamers over when the game looks breath taking!

Here's for hoping! Cheers! :LOL:

The brightness on that shot, in particular, was very messed up for me, so maybe it's hard for others to see the detail too. But correcting the brightness, it's clearly much better than the other one - the model detail is right in line with the GDC shot:

(Shamelessly stolen from gaf)

Now the fire could be better for sure, but that's something I'll wait to see in motion.

lairlolaf0.jpg

they are worlds apart, even when you lighten up the first

These latest (on page one) shots do look funny.
I don't think however that the 1st pic is from a PSP version, as the font size for on woul be too small for the HUD display.

As Titanio demonstrated, the probles seems to lie in the quality of the shots, not quality of the game. The shots are way too dark to show some detail.
The 1st pic could be a case of a bad screenshot of a good game.
The backlighting in that shot could hide much of the shading and detail, with the "dark side" of the models facing the screen, there naturally isn't much self shadowing or highlihting that'd make the screen look more dynamic.
As it is, it's more just the relatively low poly dragon models in silhouettes.
Much of the detail of the dragons is achieved with normal mapping, texturing and shaders, not raw polygons, am I right?

I'm willing to bet they're the exact same model. The rider is a little bit different, but that's about it. Don't let the lack of contrast in the new (brightened) shot fool you.

I found a difference in geometry, lack of normal mapping, lack of teeths, this is the difference between a generational jump, in my opinion, if you look at the other ufficial screen, the models are a lot different and downgraded, from the first released, not a litle, a lot

http://www.marsgame.com/News/UploadFiles/200509/20050919111608105.jpg

so, don't ask me, they have choosed the screens as the ufficial screens of the game, if they put some dark images, maybe there're a reason, I think

Back