New Jeep owner here keeps learning important things...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
First off, this all came about when we went to Colorado. We were flying out of O'Hare and planned to leave our car in the cheap parking, which is just basically a big open parking lot.

Of course Chrissy wanted to drive her Jeep. She loves her big, mean, scary, nearly indestructible piece of barely roadworthy off-road vehicle. I wasn't going to argue with her, then I had a thought: when I took the spare tire off to mount the back up cam I didn't have to use a lug nut unlocker. Went out to the garage and checked and sure enough NONE of her wheels had locking lug nuts and she has nice wheels. I pointed that out to her and we took my car since it does.

I ordered wheel nuts on Friday, they should be here Tuesday. Also picked up a can of touch up paint since we already desperately need it. (Picked up one for my car too, I'm not perfect! :p )

This morning I was reading over my wife's shoulder about how Jeep Wranglers are being targeted for battery theft. Not all that surprising since there is no internal hood release, it's just unsnap the side latches and move the little center bar. No lock what-so-ever.

Again, I didn't like this. Seemed a bit too tempting and easy, so I looked up Wrangler hood locks and sort of freaked. The cheapest are like $50 and a pain in the ass to put in and they wouldn't work on ours anyway since the keyhole is in one of the front grills and we have inserts.

So I looked up DIY hood locks, and found a beauty of an $8 solution!

Just ordered the latch from Amazon, it should be here Tuesday too. I checked our Jeep and it has all the right holes in all the right spots. I love the simplicity of it and that it's somewhat protected from the elements, and if it gets stuck I can just bust it loose pretty easily. I'm not trying to make it bulletproof, just harder than the next guys. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity, this should discourage that.

I'm really enjoying getting these little things for my wife's Jeep, she's exceedingly pleased by all of them. $20 for 5 locking lugnuts will avoid some big headaches, the hood lock will give a tad more confidence, and she bloody loves the backup camera. (Although I personally feel it needs a little work to better aim it, but we can do that later.)

Just felt like babbling a bit, and warning other Jeep owners of the battery theft thing. :)

Back