New Gears of War Video

Look, the games being compared to itself, no sony game or system has been mentioned in this thread (apart from a technique used on the PS2), nor any Nintendo game or system, to call people ******s simply because they think the in-game graphics differ from the cutscene is jumping the gun a bit ;)

To me i think the differnce is plain as day, all i'm saying as that they look different, not that the game looks bad, because it think it's one of the best games graphically that i've seen to date. People think they're the same, other people think they're not, obviously there's going to be a debate, it's a forum for christs sake, it was actually pretty on the level, but now the f words being thrown around, it looks like things are taking the turn for the worst.

Qroach said:
******s will complain about anything. no matter how small or non exsistant.
Just as they will ignore anything, no matter how big or significant. Funny how that works, right Qroach?
No one has said a bad word about the game, I think this is definitely a case of overly defense ******s trying to dismiss something. I pointed out inconsistencies, with evidence, and you guys have tried half-heartedly to make it into a non-issue. For a technology forum, your attitudes aren't particularly useful.

expletive said:
OMG are we really doing this AGAIN?

This is super stupid. I mean I love the PS3 and all, but I created this thread to show how great this game plays and looks. Why can't some people just face the fact that the Xbox 360 will have some great looking games.

I shake my head at the future comparsions between SC4's PS3 version vs. the Xbox 360 version.

mckmas8808 said:
This is super stupid. I mean I love the PS3 and all, but I created this thread to show how great this game plays and looks. Why can't some people just face the fact that the Xbox 360 will have some great looking games.

I shake my head at the future comparsions between SC4's PS3 version vs. the Xbox 360 version.

I know, at this point i'm convinced that no thread is safe...

Just as they will ignore anything, no matter how big or significant. Funny how that works, right Qroach?

lol, oh right you got me. I'm such a baddie for not agreeing with your opinion and chosen screen shots. bringin up an argument that I really don't see the point in.It's like I said before f@nb0ys will complain about anything.

No one has said a bad word about the game, I think this is definitely a case of overly defense ******s trying to dismiss something. I pointed out inconsistencies, with evidence, and you guys have tried half-heartedly to make it into a non-issue. For a technology forum, your attitudes aren't particularly useful.

More like a case of overly "offensive fans" (you specifically). even mckmas8808 agrees. Your posts in this thread were less useful than anyone that wanted to talk about the new video clip.

Qroach said:
lol, oh right you got me. I'm such a baddie for not agreeing with your opinion and chosen screen shots. bringin up an argument that I really don't see the point in.It's like I said before f@nb0ys will complain about anything.

More like a case of overly "offensive fans" (you specifically). even mckmas8808 agrees. Your posts in this thread were less useful than anyone that wanted to talk about the new video clip.
My comments werent inflammatory until others took them to be. I wanted to have a discussion about it but you guys took it up in arms. This is about Gears of Wars, I made my impressions of the video then showed what I consider to be an irregularity. Rose-tinted glasses.
As for ******, everyone gets labelled that for bringing up an issue that could possibly be conceived as negative to the X360.
I plan on buying one day one on release here, as with PS3. My Xbox gets more use than my PS2, my GC more as well. But damn I'm one "offensive fan".
Sony is hated on these forums so much, if I was a Sony fan this would not be my port of call.

Once again, I was comparing Gears of War to Gears of War. Stop being so defensive.

Edit; Or are you just upset I "hijacked" a thread about the game for this purpose? Is that it? Because fuck, sorry, I didn't think it was worth its own thread. My mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicked said:
Once again, I was comparing Gears of War to Gears of War. Stop being so defensive.

Edit; Or are you just upset I "hijacked" a thread about the game for this purpose? Is that it? Because fuck, sorry, I didn't think it was worth its own thread. My mistake.

Ya but it's not just you. Your posts are at least reasonable, you pick to comparable screens and in your opinion there's a huge difference. That's your opinion, that's fine.

Then we have other people who cherry pick screens from OBVIOUSLY ancient builds, and further derail the thread, and now it's just a mess. This happens with almost every 360 game on this board.

By the way, i don't knoe how you can compare a screenshot of a guy sitting motionless against a wall from the front, to one of a guy running from the back. At least find comparable angles/distances, preferabbly one where he's not running causing motionblur.

I'm fine if someone wants to make the case that in-game models are way different, although I could not disagree more, but at least use valid screens to try and make your point, otherwise just keep it to yourself.

Stop being so defensive.
ask yourself, what am I being defensive about if I don't agree with you? I just found your post annoying and uncecessary. making a comparison of a cut scene and in game screens is foolish when you don't have a clean comparison. one was clearly CG and the other was in game, so what. its a waste of time.

I like how there is so little action in the video. Cowboy cliffB can talk but can he make a *gasp!* engaging shooter? The signs are nt good.

strange game looks so good and so many negative comments :?: why cant you just enjoy it :?: gfx, character design, gameplay it looks so good so fun ...whats wrong with you :!: :!:

I've never cared for the GTA series. Played it on PS2, Xbox... most fun I had was in VC in the lighthouse with a sniper rifle. Wasn't even inspired to walk 40 feet from there. Yet, somehow, I manage to make it through every week (well, almost, now) without commenting on it, regardless of how many people are raving about it.

I figure, there's something seriously wrong with me....

On topic: Argh, be needin' some direct feed footage, aye? I dislike the simplicity of the rain in the open air, but I'd like a closer look at the rest of the rain. At least, just looking at the footage here, the rain just has that standard "we taped it onto the screen" look it it, instead of seeming like it's part of the world instead. (something like that). But, regardless, still looks quite nice, and I'd really like to flat-out play it.

Enough with the comparisons, for now

The game is still in the making, let's wait for its release before starting any screenshots comparison battle. Thanks.

Also, folks, let's slowdown with the posting of 720p pics. At least use links or thumbnails.

I must be the only person alive that was incredibly underwhelmed by the gameplay that was shown in the video. It reminded me of those old Sega CD games where you played some of the game and watched the rest. Way too much just walking around doing nothing or riding in a cart doing nothing for my tastes.

Looks great though, don't think you can talk down about the graphic quality of the game but the gameplay just was incredilbly underwhelming. Especially the firefights that eventually did happen.

Stillmatic said:
To me it looks like the geometries a bit different too.

I hope i don't get my head bit off for this, but i'm using one of the worst screens of the trailer, but both images are from the same direct feed trailer, with the 'ugly' image featuring in a cutscene of the trailer in this thread also.

but..

http://img446.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gow16jb.jpg

http://img446.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gow26vd.jpg

Comparing the armor.

Holy crap! These textures are horrible!
http://www.riot-films.com/images/gow_big2.jpg
Might it be because of the small bandwidth to the gddr3?

edit:eek:k, I'm exaggerating a bit, but compared to the cutscene they do look like crap. :)

weaksauce said:
Holy crap! These textures are horrible!
http://www.riot-films.com/images/gow_big2.jpg
Might it be because of the small bandwidth to the gddr3?

I reckon its more to do with the fact that this particular capture is blown up over 2x the game's target resolution! LoL, might as well include a magnifying glass. I dont care how good a game looks, all sorts of warts are bound to pop up at that res. The normal mapping in particular is going to look much worse blown up like that. At 720p it looks great.

Im kinda surprised Epic is releasing such huge captures. They did the same for UT2K7 and it looked just as bad in spots.

centerofadmiration said:
I must be the only person alive that was incredibly underwhelmed by the gameplay that was shown in the video. It reminded me of those old Sega CD games where you played some of the game and watched the rest. Way too much just walking around doing nothing or riding in a cart doing nothing for my tastes.

Looks great though, don't think you can talk down about the graphic quality of the game but the gameplay just was incredilbly underwhelming. Especially the firefights that eventually did happen.

Not really. I and others have expressed grave concerns of the display of "gameplay" in the video. However, it is just a short demo, so who knows. I do know, though, that if the entire game is "hide behind something and unload round after round of gunfire into aliens" is prevailing gameplay mechanic... I'll be passing.

Nesh said:
http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2079/786_0009.jpg

Is motion blur such a disastrous thing in graphics?
When I first saw that in the Gears of War trailer I thought it looked out of place, now that you have it posted here. Checked the properties and it's 720p. But, I realized it looked streched out and kinda washed out as well. So, I loaded up my MS-Paint and changed it to what it should be...

it doesn't look bad at all in it's proper size. 480p or possibly even 320*240
-------------------------------------
78600092qp.jpg

http://img439.imageshack.us/img439/9950/78600092qp.jpg

edit: clearly scaling it to a widescreen shot and then to 720p and then back down to 480p has obviously killed the detail, but it's not nearly as awkward as it looked before.

liverkick said:
I reckon its more to do with the fact that this particular capture is blown up over 2x the game's target resolution! LoL, might as well include a magnifying glass. I dont care how good a game looks, all sorts of warts are bound to pop up at that res. The normal mapping in particular is going to look much worse blown up like that. At 720p it looks great.

Im kinda surprised Epic is releasing such huge captures. They did the same for UT2K7 and it looked just as bad in spots.
It does look like sex if you resize it to 720p

liverkick said:

It's 4x. :)

Back