New Gears of War Video

scooby_dooby said:
Horrible textures? That's called motion blur, if you've ever downloaded this video and tried to capture frames from it, you would know this. It's hard to get a 'crisp' shot in that trailer as everyone is always moving around so quickly.

Some screens I took a long time ago, illustrates the consitancy betwen cut-scene and game:

Current gen PC game MY ASS

Those are just beautiful Scoob, Thank you! :)

scooby_dooby said:
Horrible textures? That's called motion blur, if you've ever downloaded this video and tried to capture frames from it, you would know this. It's hard to get a 'crisp' shot in that trailer as everyone is always moving around so quickly.

Some screens I took a long time ago, illustrates the consitancy betwen cut-scene and game:

If you are trying to proof with this that the ingame looks the same as the cut-scenes than that failed. Those screens you posted are too small to see the fine details. In the cut-scene picture fulcizombie posted you can clearly see the wrinkles on his face but you can hardly even see them in the same pic you posted..

3roxor said:
If you are trying to proof with this that the ingame looks the same as the cut-scenes than that failed. Those screens you posted are too small to see the fine details. In the cut-scene picture fulcizombie posted you can clearly see the wrinkles on his face but you can hardly even see them in the same pic you posted..

Maybe because his pic is taken when the camera is zoomed in, and my first pick is 2 or 3 seconds later after the camera has panned out a little bit. Did you think about that?

Besides, the HD vid is out there if you want to watch it, I'm not stopping you. If there was such a big difference between in-game and cut-scene you would be able to see it in these shots.

Excellent pic-post, scooby.

Indeed if there was a 'night and day' difference between the cut scene and in-game quality, you would be able to tell in the shots you posted.

scooby_dooby said:

http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2079/786_0009.jpg

Is motion blur such a disastrous thing in graphics?

lol. there's about 20,000 frames in that movie, and you chose to highlight the one that sticks out like a sore thumb because it nowehere near the level of the rest of the trailer. Good work!.

That's obviously a completely different build than 99.9% of the rest of the trailer, is not indicitive of what you see in the trailer, and has no bearing on this discussion as it's obviously NOT representative of the quality of the in-game scenes in this game.

A lot of the pictures labled as "in-game" seem suspect... those aren't views you'd see -- infact I can only see one picture that is clearly in-game... the rest seem from various cutscenes with some action going on. I doubt there will be a big difference in what you see from cut scene to ingame, merely because any extra detail added would be wasted in-game because of the nature of the game and the view the player has (which isn't right up close to the face of character). It doesn't really matter in the end, the cutscenes and in-game will both look good.

Stillmatic said:
To me it looks like the geometries a bit different too.

I hope i don't get my head bit off for this, but i'm using one of the worst screens of the trailer, but both images are from the same direct feed trailer, with the 'ugly' image featuring in a cutscene of the trailer in this thread also.

but..

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/40/gow16jb.jpg

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/4415/gow26vd.jpg

Comparing the armor.
Great example. Really downgraded.

scooby_dooby said:

*snip*

That proves my point. Big difference in quality of textures/geometry IMO. I know its realtime, and I never said it looks anything but great (even downgraded ingame), I was merely pointing out the enormous difference, thankyou.

Nicked said:

That proves my point. Big difference in quality of textures/geometry IMO. I know its realtime, and I never said it looks anything but great (even downgraded ingame), I was merely pointing out the enormous difference, thankyou.

It's not "enormous" at all. You're overexaggerating.

Nesh said:

Is motion blur such a disastrous thing in graphics?
Pick the one scene that was obviously captured at 480p (or zoomed in). Go back and watch the E3 trailer and you'll see more 480p video you can use to prove your point.

I saw some photos provided by Bad Boy in another post.
Didnt they say that the main characters are 15.000 polys ?

So if a GOW in game character 5.287 polys + normal map looks like that :

16ka.jpg

Is not dificult for me to believe that the 15.000polys main character with normal map (190% more geometry) looks like this one :

25zk.jpg

Nicked said:

Horrible example, one of the worst shots in the game, and also happens to be from a cut-scene. So you're comparing a cut-scene....to a cut-scene, and saying one looks night and day better. Your point is?

There's a good 20 in-game screens you could grab which are far far better than that example (which is a cut-scene if you missed it the first time)

scooby_dooby said:
Horrible example, one of the worst shots in the game, and also happens to be from a cut-scene. So you're comparing a cut-scene....to a cut-scene, and saying one looks night and day better. Your point is?

There's a good 20 in-game screens you could grab which are far far better than that example (which is a cut-scene if you missed it the first time)
I meant as an example of the downgrade which is occuring in the other cutscene > ingame transition that you and I posted.

The only 'downgrade' is that in a cutscene, the artists have full control over the lighting and can make sure that it brings out every detail in the models. Whereas an ingame scenario can easily look a lot worse, with the same assets; which is why most developers try to do everything in their power to keep their publisher from creating screenshots ;)

scooby_dooby said:

The reason i chose it was beause it's the most obvious example, which i believe is the in-game model, plus it's a pic from a scene that features in the trailer posted in this thread from X05 (the same place the direct feed version derived from) where the player directly controls it straight from the cutscene, and it's also from the same direct feed trailer the better looking screens are from (the direct feed version from XO5).

I don't get it.In the video that was posted on this thread you see Cliffy B. ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME so you can have a good idea about how good the gameplay graphics are(=gorgeous).

What is the meaning of posting screenshots and making comments about them when we have ACTUIAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE in this same thread???

Back