New Armoured Core 4 screens

Look pretty bland to me. They appear to be adding a noise postprocess filter. I'm not sure what that's supposed to be achieving. If it's trying to be film grain for a cinematic look, it's not working!

Seems like a similar grain to that used in Chrome Hounds. As mckmas was saying, it's probably better seen in motion.

Well IE won't show them, but FireFox does.

Look pretty bland to me. They appear to be adding a noise postprocess filter. I'm not sure what that's supposed to be achieving. If it's trying to be film grain for a cinematic look, it's not working!

i beg to differ. i think those screenshots demonstrate some of the best artistic-style tone mapping with a grain filter i've seen up to date in a new-gen title. the fact that bloom is over-the-top seems to actually play nicely with the overall vision. that in contrast to, say, army of two, where they just demonstrate conspicuous tone mapping with little artistic value and none whatsoever realistic value.

i beg to differ. i think those screenshots demonstrate some of the best artistic-style tone mapping with a grain filter i've seen up to date in a new-gen title. the fact that bloom is over-the-top seems to actually play nicely with the overall vision. that in contrast to, say, army of two, where they just demonstrate conspicuous tone mapping with little artistic value and none whatsoever realistic value.

I couldn't agree more. Bump this, displace that, parallax here, shine there...art style is becoming lost among many developers in favour of these technical terms.

edit: I really love this shot! :)

Hey I agree with you about AC4. But you don't have to pick on my Army of Two game. I love the look of that game. :devilish:

That latest trailer is very well done! The opening CGI scene with the huge shockwave pulling up rocks and dirt uppon impact followed by more impressive typical mech's fearsome designs of brute power mixed with some ingame(?) cutscenes wich show some pretty neat smoke and water splashing/xplosions FXs.
The trailer really gets me excited, but then its just to much cgi and not much gameplay so... things may turn out dull and shallow, wich i hope not.

Surprisingly it looks very fast paced! "Dogfights" and hit'n'runs with dodging thrusters ala ZoE seem to be a basic gameplay element, nice :]

Surprisingly it looks very fast paced! "Dogfights" and hit'n'runs with dodging thrusters ala ZoE seem to be a basic gameplay element, nice :]
AC is a bit deeper than that. You are pretty much forced to build your mech from scretch in order to surive and to progress in the AC universe. The custom mech design got a LOT impact on the gameplay. Well armored cores are slow, turn slower, but can carry more fire power and other gadgets. Light AC designs are more nimble, faster, can jump-thrust higher with less enegy drain, but will get damaged easily because of lacking armor. While doing missions or arena fights you have to keep an eye on the power consumption and heat development or you'll cripple your mechs' firepower, jump ability and maneuverability. You can literally disable your own AC and your enemy can pick you apart while you mech is cooling down or re-charging.

ZOE is awesome, but its focus is really a bit different.

spiffy special effects. :D

(crap image files though.... what's with the low-res up scale?)

I can't wait to see this game in motion in TGS. The trailers have been awesome so far, I hope the game delivers the same feeling..

I cannot wait to see the next ZOE. On whatever platform, we NEED a new ZOE.

I have run out of breath gushing over ZOE2 on many, many many occasions. It's in my top three. I was going to put a quote in mi sig but I thought I'd save it till I tire of Daytona.

I have run out of breath gushing over ZOE2 on many, many many occasions. It's in my top three. I was going to put a quote in mi sig but I thought I'd save it till I tire of Daytona.

I'd almost rather have an action game with Raiden from MGS4, done by the team that did ZOE2. (with Kojima doing story/cutscenes and such)

A ZOE3 certainly wouldn't go to waste though!

AC4 is looking pretty interesting... I can't say I was ever much interested in the series previously.

AC is a bit deeper than that. You are pretty much forced to build your mech from scretch in order to surive and to progress in the AC universe. The custom mech design got a LOT impact on the gameplay. Well armored cores are slow, turn slower, but can carry more fire power and other gadgets. Light AC designs are more nimble, faster, can jump-thrust higher with less enegy drain, but will get damaged easily because of lacking armor. While doing missions or arena fights you have to keep an eye on the power consumption and heat development or you'll cripple your mechs' firepower, jump ability and maneuverability. You can literally disable your own AC and your enemy can pick you apart while you mech is cooling down or re-charging.

I completed AC 2. Although I like the mech building and the game mechanics, fighting can be frustrating (because the mechs, even the lighter ones, moved like a brick). The sword attack is almost always useless (it's really just a short dash)... but the AI-controlled mechs can use them with deadly accuracy and damage.

If they fix the speed problem for me, it should be a fun game. You earn cash, or new parts as the story progresses, and sometimes found parts hidden in the battlefield. You get to design your insignia and color your mech too. I might take a look at it, we shall see. :)

I completed AC 2. Although I like the mech building and the game mechanics, fighting can be frustrating (because the mechs, even the lighter ones, moved like a brick). The sword attack is almost always useless (it's really just a short dash)... but the AI-controlled mechs can use them with deadly accuracy and damage.

If they fix the speed problem for me, it should be a fun game. You earn cash, or new parts as the story progresses, and sometimes found parts hidden in the battlefield. You get to design your insignia and color your mech too. I might take a look at it, we shall see. :)

They've have fixed the speed. A famitsu article I've translated, mentioned that it was a lot faster and that they've implemented something Hi-Speed boost and a primal armour. Both are essential for dominating multi-player games.

Sword attacking was excellent in single player, but next to useless in multi-player. No idea if that will change any, but it's still a fun convention to have around. ;)

What they also need are some CAPES! Let's pull from anime more! Hehe...

Back