Need for Speed Carbon - First Screenshots

Phil said:
Definately - I can't really comment on how accurate the physics model was in the original NFS game, but the perceived realism to the way the cars reacted and how they felt like to drive in the game is still better than most racing games I've played lately. It definately felt more real than any other NFS game after it - or well, the only game that came close to the realism factor was "high stakes" (aka NFS4 I think) on PS1. It was a shame that they halfed the framerate though, but it felt quite solid overall. The circular tracks spoilt the fun somewhat though and none of the tracks really compared to the ones found in the original NFS. I remember my favorite track to be the mountain one - the altitude changes, the twists - it just felt right. My other favorite track was the one with the ocean. What I also liked about the original NFS was that the cops weren't overdone in any silly way - their presence was kinda enough to put the heat on and still came across as quite realistic. The newer ones (NFS3+) just don't do it for me anymore unfortunately... the whole helicopter thing, 4+ cops chasing you... it's fun, but it just doesn't feel like a proper racing game anymore. IMO my dream racer should stay focused on the cars and have the cops as a nice addition to put on some pressure, but nothing too exagerated. Oh, and I love the fact that the very first NFS game (on PC) had the full cockpits of the car... that really made a nice difference as well.

Ah good times, good times... :D

BTW; IMO this is the area where the GT series goes wrong: The realism in the GT games is awesome together with the Logitech wheel... but driving on those ultra wide and circular tracks just isn't all that exciting. The experience and adrenaline of the original NFS was better to it in every way. I like Burnout... I like it a lot, but IMO, it's turning too much into a NFS clone of the new age and I still prefer to drive original untouched super-sportscars rather than no-name bling bling tuned ones. All IMO of course.

oh btw - the ps1 version had the in car hud as well.

Agreed on all counts! Are we really alone in this train of thought though?? Is everyone else really more satisfied with the new NFS experiences over the original one?

We need a poll!

I'll include the following:

nfs1
nfs2
nfs3 Hot Pursuit
nfs4 High Stakes
nfs5 Porsch Unleashed
nfs6 Hot Pursuit2
nfs7 Underground
nfs8 Underground2
nfs9 Most Wanted

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh i actually think NFS:porsche on the pc was the series' highlight. Most wanted on the 360 is quite enjoyable though, despite its rather weak graphics...

It looks just like the last three, you can colour me unexcited. That said, the last three had their moments so I'll still give the demo a whirl.

Why are they destroying NFS series by churning out a sequel every six month?:devilish: BTW, NFS3:HP (PS1) is my fav NFS game followed by NFS:HP2 (PS2). :smile:

10 Platforms!...damn, how big is the studio that is doing this game

but i guess this will be expected since EA is all about multi platform...but that is a lot of work though

Deepak said:
Why are they destroying NFS series by churning out a sequel every six month?:devilish: BTW, NFS3:HP (PS1) is my fav NFS game followed by NFS:HP2 (PS2). :smile:

It's EA, the empire built on Shovelware.

not sure about the graphics (still feels like the last few nfs's), but I suppose the gameplay could be interesting. I wish we could get some damage with licenced cars.

Bad_Boy said:
not sure about the graphics (still feels like the last few nfs's), but I suppose the gameplay could be interesting. I wish we could get some damage with licenced cars.

Me and you think alike. Gameplay looks better than the graphics by a mile. EA needs to step its game up.

There is a 1gb demo of this game on the marketplace...

But, save your bandwidth, it's pretty terrible.

in no particular order:

Normal races, with 6 (?) cars suffer pretty terrible frame rate problems, even in SD. The sense of speed is bizarre in that it's completely lacking.

The graphics, imo, look considerably worse than the Underground series.

Engine sounds are possibly the worst in the series. The drift event is numbing.

The 'autosculpt' feature is amazingly slow. Every change locks up for half a second. As if they are recalculating the entire cars geometry from weightings. Very very poor

The cut scenes are... odd. They seem to glitch, and their timing is off, so cars accelerate really stupidly fast. The use of prerendered characters in the cars is well done though.

Drift racing has to be seen to be believed. The controls are amazing. They couldn't have made them much worse. It is close to *impossible* to take a corner and not drift, and the game auto corrects for you.

The downhill 'canyon' runs are a nice idea. They show promise but damned if they control well. The cars feel unresponsive, and breaking is very odd. Can't place why.

At one point, the camera zoomed in on the car, and it disappeared. When they don't get basic frustum culling right.....

*sigh*

Graham is right in everything,this demo might be the worst demo ever on Xbox live.Horrible graphics(worse than underground which was a nice high-res port up),choppy frame rate and shitty gameplay.

The drifting REALLY has to be seen to be believed,it's like they made it so shitty on purpose.It gave me the urge to go back to PGR3 just to forget this pile of crap.

Wow,just WOW!!

what these 2 fellows said...
terrible waste of internet traffic. the demo barely hit 20fps (even i feel that need for speed most wanted was sub 30fps)

Yeah, it's pretty hard to get excited about this considering all the stuff that's coming out in the next couple of months.

Utterly woeful demo. This really is a shockingly bad 360 game, much worse than the first 360 title.
What is wrong with EA they really dont give a shit do they tranishing their IP like this.

Back