Gamecube/PS2/Xbox stuff... again

Well, in a technical sense the 68K CPU could have done rotation, but not on NeoGeo. The NeoGeo carts contained 2 PCB's, one had the 68K program ROM's and the audio sample ROM's. The 2nd PCB contained the actual graphics ROM's, Z80 program ROM for the sound system, and the S1 ROM which was basically text/font data.

The 68K bus was not connected to the same bus as the graphics ROM's. There's a 3rd party modified BIOS that has many extra features for the real hardware(arcade or home version) and one is a CRC32 check. This check can only access the 68K program ROMs though, it cannot check the graphics ROMs because they aren't connected. The 68K basically tells the graphics chip what to do, and not much else.

Thanks!

I've seen some pretty awesome MD demos that use the CPU for various sprite manipulation tricks. I made the assumption that being faster the Neo Geo would be even better, and that some of the pseudo-3D sprite stuff I saw must have involved the CPU, therefore it could do CPU rotation too. That's what you get for assuming things .... :(

B3D could do with a retro thread ...

Back