NA Playstation Hardware News

Hmmm...looks like I'll have to delay the purchase of the Jabra BT125...:( I was thinking of buying it today. The review seems pretty good for the Sony Headset, guess I'll have to wait for it to show up here!

On the bombcast, Jeff said that the Gabra headset was shit, whereas this new one is the definitive headset that should come with every PS3 because it's basically flawless.

What does HQ mode do, why can't it be applied to other headsets, and why would you want to have it turned off?

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Accessories/SCPH-98095

High-Quality (HQ) mode enables wide-band wireless voice communication with the PS3™ system. It utilizes Headset’s dual-microphone design to enable proprietary PS3™ system based noise cancelling. It provides better radio-frequency interference rejection when it is ‘On’ compared to when it is ‘Off’. High-Quality (HQ) mode and noise cancellation features are only available on the PS3™ system, and not with other Bluetooth enabled cell phones or devices.

If the noise cancellation is done by PS3 using dual mic, then it should be possible to apply the same technology to PS Eye with 4 mic arrays :devilish:

On the bombcast, Jeff said that the Gabra headset was shit, whereas this new one is the definitive headset that should come with every PS3 because it's basically flawless.

I think the Jabra headset is standard/average (i.e, not worse than other headsets), but the Sony headset is head and shoulder above (for gaming). I saw some (standalone) noise cancellation headset yesterday, they are selling for $99 to $130. YMMV, especially from online stores.

The biggest feature to the headset as far as I'm concerned is that it actually syncs with the console. It's certainly well constructed, though I don't find it terribly comfortable, unfortunately.

Why would you ever turn it off then?

For regular non-PS3 use, it'd be off. I have set it to use HQ mode for PS3. No reason to turn it off (There might be a slight lag).

The biggest feature to the headset as far as I'm concerned is that it actually syncs with the console. It's certainly well constructed, though I don't find it terribly comfortable, unfortunately.

For gaming, I just set it on the cradle.

For cellphone use, it can be a little loose and bulky, but it's not a big problem for me so far. It's more comfortable than the Jabra.

EDIT: Wait, what do you mean by "sync with the console" ?

For regular non-PS3 use, it'd be off. I have set it to use HQ mode for PS3. No reason to turn it off (There might be a slight lag).
Oh, right, of course.

For gaming, I just set it on the cradle.
That's only going to work if you have little background noise.

EDIT: Wait, what do you mean by "sync with the console" ?
Blue Tooth pairing I presume. Pairing over USB probably solves a lot of issues that plague Blue Tooth pairing. I guess the headset does have wireless pairing though for other devices.

Blue Tooth pairing I presume. Pairing over USB probably solves a lot of issues that plague Blue Tooth pairing. I guess the headset does have wireless pairing though for other devices.

Sorry, sync was the wrong word. I mean the console actually knows it exists. It'll give you the battery status, the volume, whether it's muted or not, etc.

That's only going to work if you have little background noise.

That's what I should test. The headset's noise cancellation capability in a noisy room.

So far, I can notice that there is no (background) whitenoise in HQ mode in my office. But yes, you're correct, my office is still too quiet.

Sorry, sync was the wrong word. I mean the console actually knows it exists. It'll give you the battery status, the volume, whether it's muted or not, etc.

Yes, the integration with PS3 is one of its nicest features (including the auto-routing of sound output). So sorry I can't say the same thing about PS Eye.

@patsu: yeah I know the PS Eye should be able to do it as well. But it is still more complex, as in terms of distance to the microphone there is more variation for the PS Eye. It should probably have a calibration feature determining where you are or something, and then isolate that sound source. Not as simple as the headset in that respect. PS Eye still works fine for me though, and again no complaints. Everyone has been able to hear what I say so far without too much issue I think. And I'm quite the talkative guy, compared to some. We should probably do some testing ... I live next to a road that can get quite noisy with people and cars during the daytime, so if I sit on the couch in such a way that this noise is behind me, I could see that being picked up.

Arwin, I was wondering about the relative differences between the headset and PS Eye when both are set on the table. In this scenario, both are equally "disadvantaged" but the headset has HQ mode.

The PS Eye also has no on-screen visual cue.

Application-wise, the PS Eye of course is more versatile. But its advanced capabilities are limited to specific games only -- unless Sony integrates it better with XMB and other media use. OTOH, the headset is more useful outside of gaming.

Ignoring the PR banter in this article, there is a comment from David Reeves in regards to the break even point for the PS3 hardware:

“Next year we are probably going to be a little bit more aggressive when we reach the break-even point.”

I recall hearing speculationt that the 40GB unit represented the break even point, but it appears that's not the case. Although, this is coming from SCEE, so, it could be the break even point for them, taking the exchange rates into consideration.

He also briefly talks about the change in business model for the PS3:

As soon as we got the manufacturing price down on PSOne we lowered the price. Same with PS2. But we’re not doing that on PS3 – that’s not the model, even if people are expecting it.
Plus, at a time when Sony is first looking to put its Computer Entertainment division in the black after two years reporting losses, a big emphasis at SCE has been on returning to profitability.

I recall hearing speculationt that the 40GB unit represented the break even point, but it appears that's not the case. Although, this is coming from SCEE, so, it could be the break even point for them, taking the exchange rates into consideration.
Why would the 40GB unit be any more break even than the 80GB? The harddrives will cost almost the same, and surely the other things don't add up to $100.

The reason the 40GB is priced $100 less is not because it cost $100 less to make. It's to widen the target audience while still getting some cream from the crowd that wants the best.

Why would the 40GB unit be any more break even than the 80GB? The harddrives will cost almost the same, and surely the other things don't add up to $100.

The reason the 40GB is priced $100 less is not because it cost $100 less to make. It's to widen the target audience while still getting some cream from the crowd that wants the best.

I was referring to the 40GB unit (SKU) itself, not specifically the hard drive. The speculation was that the changes to the components (power supply, CPU, etc), were enough to bring the cost down (from previous SKUs) to the break even point.

Back