NA Playstation Hardware News

Man the PSP is looking more attractive every time I hear news on it. I really should pick one up. Problem is I'd use it more as a personal media playback device than a gaming device, so I'd have to pick up a few memory sticks to keep movies on. Anyone know of any deals on some large memory sticks (i.e. > 4GB)?

I bought an 8GB memory stick from Frys for $55 sometime ago (probably cheaper now), and I've thrown everything on there including music videos, pictures, mp3's, and I dumped my games onto the same memory stick (I've hacked my PSP slim). Now when I have to go on a trip or wait at the airport for someone, I just toss the PSP in my pocket and everything is there all ready to go. It's a great little device.

Man the PSP is looking more attractive every time I hear news on it. I really should pick one up. Problem is I'd use it more as a personal media playback device than a gaming device, so I'd have to pick up a few memory sticks to keep movies on. Anyone know of any deals on some large memory sticks (i.e. > 4GB)?
The trick is don't use MemoryStick! Fafalada revealed to me that there are SD card convertors, so you can get mass storage at half the price.

More info about PSP-3000 firmware improvements:
http://au.psp.ign.com/articles/907/907086p1.html

The PSP-3000 has a setting for "Color Space" under the system settings section of the XMB. This can be switched between Wide and Normal. Wide exploits the full color depth of the revised hardware, while Normal returns you back to PSP-2000 level color.

The 3000 firmware has an option for Automatic USB Connection. When this is switched on, the PSP switches to USB mode automatically when a USB device is connected.

Finally, the 3000 firmware offers a noise reduction feature for video out. This is used to cut the noise when outputting the PSP's video signal to a television.

Outside of the firmware changes, the Famitsu.com article makes note of some of the changes that players might notice (or might not notice) when doing screen comparisons for themselves. The PSP-3000's screen strengths are most apparent when looking at natural colors such as human skin. However, the differences may not be as apparent with current games. The Famitsu.com article shows a shot of the LocoRoco title screen with the differences barely distinguishable between the two units.

The problem, the site speculates, could be that current games have had their colors fine tuned to look best under the 2000's limited color depth. The site expects future games to fully exploit the PSP-3000 screen's strengths

The site expects future games to fully exploit the PSP-3000 screen's strengths
For the benefit of the few million PSP-3000 owners and the detriment of the existing tens of million of PSP owners? I don't think so! The benefits are surely more for TV/movies where it's more important.

Woah...that's fantastic. ^_^
How I wish PlayTV and that worldwide PSP network service are also available in US.

EDIT: Just noticed that the official PS Blog has new information about the official headset:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/03/official-bluetooth-headset-for-the-playstation-3/

The headset will feature “High-Quality (HQ) mode” with PS3. In this mode, the headset will take advantage of advanced voice technologies and noise cancellation techniques to provide clear and wideband voice input to the PS3. The HQ mode will ensure a much better voice chat quality on the PS3.

HQ mode will also enable accurate speech recognition required to support or enhance ‘Voice Command’ and ‘Voice Animation’ features. Voice Command was originally used in SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2 to administer the AI-controlled teammates using the WHO, WHAT, and WHERE format (example: Bravo, Attack, Nav Point Zulu). Voice Animation refers to the in-game character mimicking you during voice chat. With HQ mode, these features can be enabled on a much larger vocabulary in select PS3 games.

PS3 will display an in-game status indicator exclusively for this headset that will show the headset’s connection status, battery charge level, speaker volume level and microphone mute status.

Tired of wearing the headset during a long multiplayer gaming session or is your headset battery running out of charge? Just dock the headset in the supplied charging cradle, and the headset will work as a desktop microphone while charging.
Last but not least, the headset will automatically pair with the PS3 by connecting with a USB cable.

Not sure about that Voice Animation and Voice Command thinggie. I think those are in-game software features instead of headset specific features. The headset simply provides better quality sound for follow-up processing. Is that accurate ?

Initial impression of the PS3 headset. I wish they'd give it a name. "Official headset" sounds stiff.

I got to use it with RFOM, Socom and my Motorola cellphone.

Bad
----
As mentioned here, setting up could be tricky. Took about 5 minutes to realize my mistake. Pairing with cellphone is relatively easy. Overall, I feel that the pairing exercise was average (more cumbersome than necessary because of the added port). Was expecting a fool-proof, no brainer process.

The cradle is really only useful after the headset is paired. The unit is a tad bigger than I thought but it's no big deal.

Good
------
Once paired, the headset starts to show its strength. The sound quality is great. When left in HQ mode (USB needed), there is no background noise at all. I noticed a slight delay when talking and listening to myself as a test. When in use over cellphone, I have nothing to complain about. For in-game communication, it depends on the game. Socom has a bad congested week, so the voice quality suffered.

When I sat the headset on the cradle, it automatically switches to "mic" mode (i.e., audio input is set to the headset, and audio output will route to your existing sound system). When I picked up the headset, the PS3 immediately sets the audio output to the headset via Bluetooth. I love this part. :D

The on-screen indicator is helpful because when the headset is attached to my ear, I can't see whether it's still on and if it's muted. I do get audio cues from the headset (e.g., muted or not, volume level) but a visual panel is always good.

Will test it with R2 soon. I heard the R2 beta voice comm is superb.

£18 at Play. Not at all bad. At the moment I'm using the PSEye which I bought with EOJ. Seeing as the camera isn't getting used for anything, is nigh on useless for LBP, hasn't got a good set of titles coming out for it, isn't being incorporated into other games, doesn't have the tooted noise-cancellation feature, I'm not playing EOJ in considerable part to it maxing out at two players, and the headset has a stand option for use without wearing, I might sell the camera and EOJ and get the headset. Although my track record of actually getting around to selling things I intend to sell is extremely poor ;)

Keep it for when EyePet comes around or something. ;)

Seriously though I wonder if I'm just lucky that noone complains about my sound quality or something, because to date, I still haven't used anything but the PS Eye for voice comms. Most recent game I'm now using it in is Burnout, which I bought the PSN version of (even more than Warhawk it's a great game to have on the HDD for a quick game online or offline). Great game so far, the crashes never seem to get old. I thought I'd get over them eventually, but here I am about 14% into the game and a fair bunch of trophies onwards (it was indeed a good idea to wait playing until they were patched in, because in this game, they do add to the fun considerably), and I still love the crashes. Anyway, the screenshot functions for when people do a takedown is still funny and cool, and more should have their PS Eye on while playing. ;)

Also, the six-way videochat feature of the PSN is cool and underused. I hope that eventually we'll see more of that, they should add something to the SDK for it. I think we'll see it in Buzz eventually - at least I hope so, as that's a game that would really benefit from it in couch vs couch play. And of course I'm using it a lot in Singstar as well. In LBP its also still useful enough - you can make some really cool textures nonetheless with it, just make sure you've got a very bright spot or flashlight ready. The textures look worse by the way because they are blended with the material a little in a transparent fashion, so they look worse on some material than others. And they are also still useful in Front view when you're using a real picture of something to model your own creations on.

In fact, when I think about it, I'm stealthily using the PS Eye even more than I thought.

Come to think of it, were sound issues to crop up after all, I think I'd sooner use real headphones and keep the PS Eye as the microphone. I hate headsets - I guess my head is too big for them almost always. Even for the phone I ended up using my wired version a lot more often than the bluetooth one I already had.

Not my thing... The only thing that's been interesting me are all the concept demos, but Sony haven't shown any real interest in creating PSEye titles. From all the pre-PS3 release concept footage we saw, how much has materialised as products?

Seriously though I wonder if I'm just lucky that noone complains about my sound quality or something, because to date, I still haven't used anything but the PS Eye for voice comms.
The sound quality is fine from PSEye, but it picks up background audio. If the audio cancellation worked as advertised, I'd have no complaints. I'd rather not wear a headset.

Also, the six-way videochat feature of the PSN is cool and underused. I hope that eventually we'll see more of that, they should add something to the SDK for it.
I don't think they can though. It's only useful when you are on PS3 and people you know are. Video comms is no use between me and my bro', as I can't contact him on PC or XB360 which he just bought. If there was a PC client for PSN comms, it could be a useful addition. As it is, unless you have an almost prearranged situation, there's little scope to use video chat. If my sis' gets a PS3 for her hubby on Christmas, the opportunity to videochat is still next to nil. The only time my PS3 is on is when I get a moment to enjoy myself, when i want to play rather than chat! Whereas a PC messenger I can do as I work. Maybe if video-chat was integrated into games it'd work, but I can't see that happening mainstream enough to ever get anywhere. Ideally we want voice chat, cross games, with custom converations over XMB rather than in game. I want to be able to hassle or team up with my friends in Warhawk without a load of background nonsense from other gamers.

In LBP its also still useful enough - you can make some really cool textures nonetheless with it, just make sure you've got a very bright spot or flashlight ready. The textures look worse by the way because they are blended with the material a little in a transparent fashion, so they look worse on some material than others.
It looked like multiplication blending to me. I also tried some EyeCreate grabs with it as a test, and they were far better, certainly useable if not crisp. If they sorted that out, PSEye might get a second wind ;)

Yeah, I meant for use in games, that's why I mentioned the SDK. As for the other problems with it, they should put Skype on the PS3 like they did with the PSP (just as I think they should put all PSP features on PS3, like RSS, etc.)

If EyePet are programmable and connectable to a sensor network -- not just PS Eye -- (kinda like Lego Mindstorm), I'd be very keen.

Seriously though I wonder if I'm just lucky that noone complains about my sound quality or something, because to date, I still haven't used anything but the PS Eye for voice comms.

I used PS Eye for a short while for in-game voice chat. It worked ok for me because I always have my headphone on and my office is quiet. :) I prefer it to the Warhawk Jabra headset.

I will probably refresh my EoJ game early next year when things are slow again. The ideal use for PS Eye for me would be:
* Camera import for LBP
* Extension of Shikitei so that I can use it for backyard survelliance and planning (Not going to happen I know)

I will need to get another PS3 for my wife at home before I use the video chat. I know some GAF folks used video chat before our clan gathering though. Unlikely Shifty, my PS3 is on during office hour because I listen DLNA music :)

So, how does it fair against the Jabra headset? Does the HQ mode make a lot of difference?
Also, I didn't get it, You have to have it plugged into the USB port for HQ voice?

Hmmm...looks like I'll have to delay the purchase of the Jabra BT125...:( I was thinking of buying it today. The review seems pretty good for the Sony Headset, guess I'll have to wait for it to show up here!

What does HQ mode do, why can't it be applied to other headsets, and why would you want to have it turned off?

Back