Multiplatform Assassin's Creed--si or no?

its on teamxbox also... but no screens.:???:

I think all of the screens will be held back until after the 360 magazine ships. It is a "world exclusive" for them after all.

The assassinscreed page hasnt been updated with an xbox logo yet...

That's not surprising. Heck, their copywrite statement at the bottom of the Ubisoft home page still says 2005.

Unlikely, although they could have paid Ubisoft to say it was exclusive.

And for what? Just to kill the momentum for PS3 when the truth comes out? No reason to pay for something that doesn't help your system. I'd understand if it was timed exlusive or the info would be released early next year before assassin's creed launch to get more people buy PS3 thinking its exlusive but since its not the case, I don't see any other reason for this but Ubisoft guys eating mushrooms that shouldn't be eaten.

EDIT: And thanks for the quote.

And for what? Just to kill the momentum for PS3 when the truth comes out? No reason to pay for something that doesn't help your system. I'd understand if it was timed exlusive or the info would be released early next year before assassin's creed launch to get more people buy PS3 thinking its exlusive but since its not the case, I don't see any other reason for this but Ubisoft guys eating mushrooms that shouldn't be eaten.

EDIT: And thanks for the quote.

I would like to point out that Ubisoft once swore that Splinter Cell was an Xbox exclusive even though everyone on earth knew it wasn't. MS paid for that little claim and it paid off very well for them, I don't see why Sony wouldn't make a similar move if the opportunity presented itself.

Given the fact that both versions of AC were clearly intended to release at the same time and that it was once shown at X05 before the "PS3 exclusive" announcement was ever made is a pretty strong indication that something compelled Ubisoft to make that claim. I seriously doubt that said what they said just for the fun of it.

It's called a marketing exclusive. If anything it helped them through E3, if it wasn't for AC the only PS3 title to take any note of would've been Heavenly Sword. Look how many sites gave awards, or runner up nominations to Assassin's Creed, crediting it a a PS3 only title, you don't think that's worth anything? They didn't pull it off very well, but still, the vast majority of casual gamers considered it a PS3 exclsusive.

Anyways, this is awesome news, no timed exclusive at all :D

Perhaps Ubisoft realized just how many units Sony will ship of PS3 this fall and realized it wasn't worth it to them to hold off annoucing an Xbox 360 version, since they will likely sell more units on that platform then there will be PS3's available/purchased?

Perhaps Ubisoft realized just how many units Sony will ship of PS3 this fall and realized it wasn't worth it to them to hold off annoucing an Xbox 360 version, since they will likely sell more units on that platform then there will be PS3's available/purchased?

umm...sony is still on track to ship 6 million by the timeframe of the AC launch (march 07) according to sony reps. It hasnt changed since e3. I highly doubt thats it.

umm...sony is still on track to ship 6 million by the timeframe of the AC launch (march 07) according to sony reps. It hasnt changed since e3. I highly doubt thats it.

IMO if you beleive that, you'll beleive anything ;). I don't think they will get close to shipping that many PS3's and I don't think any publisher is willing to say they believe that. Don't forget how sony also said PS3 was shipping in the spring, you know LONG before most publishers had final devkits? Sony says a lot of stuff in the media, mainly to get consumers to hold off thiernext console purchase as long as possible, but don't think they actually tell the same BS to thier partners. That would ruin publishing relationships as publishers build everything they do around specific timetables and sales estimates. They haven't even started production yet and you saw the articles about a lack of Blue laser diodes. Anyway I'm sure you just dismissed those articles...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO if you beleive that, you'll beleive anything. I don't think they will get close to shipping that many PS3's. they ahven't even started production yet and you saw the articles about a lack of Blue laser diodes. Anyway I'm sure you just dismissed those articles...

But your basing the claim on that ubisoft knows something we don't on shipment numbers. We have only told one thing, and far as im concern why would I believe something else until told otherwise, especially from the source of the actual hardware. Sorry I don't buy into analyst rumors. The blue laser diodes is a case of blu-ray players getting delayed, not necessarily the ps3. But I'm sure you dismissed that.

But your basing the claim on that ubisoft knows something we don't on shipment numbers. We have only told one thing, and far as im concern why would I believe something else until told otherwise, especially from the source of the actual hardware. Sorry I don't buy into analyst rumors. The blue laser diodes is a case of blu-ray players getting delayed, not necessarily the ps3. But I'm sure you dismissed that.

A lack of blue laser diodes INCLUDES PS3 since it's a bluray player. Don't dismiss that.

btw I added more to that post. You might want to change your response.

A lack of blue laser diodes INCLUDES PS3 since it's a bluray player. Don't dismiss that.
Did you even read the articles? They are stockpiling blu-ray diodes so that the PS3 gets produced(holding shipments especially for ps3 in that sense), meaning non-ps3 blu-ray electronics are the ones affected most. If anything it backs up my claim that ps3 is higher priority to them.
btw I added more to that post. You might want to change your response.

I have no reason to change anything I said. I'm sorry that I go by official reports until told otherwise. :LOL:

You are the one suggesting that Ubisoft held the news back that AC was not exclusive due to the fact there would not be a shortage of PS3's, and now because of analyst reports of shortage being cut in half and what not, that they decided to all of a sudden reveal a PC and 360 version. I'm sorry I don't buy that.

Did you even read the articles? They are stockpiling blu-ray diodes so that the PS3 gets produced(holding shipments especially for ps3 in that sense), meaning non-ps3 blu-ray electronics are the ones affected most. If anything it backs up my claim that ps3 is higher priority to them.

I have no reason to change anything I said. I'm sorry that I go by official reports until told otherwise. :LOL:

You are the one suggesting that Ubisoft held the news back that AC was not exclusive due to the fact there would not be a shortage of PS3's, and now because of analyst reports of shortage being cut in half and what not, that they decided to all of a sudden reveal a PC and 360 version. I'm sorry I don't buy that.

Did YOU read the articles? The PS3 manufacturers in Japan and China are noting a lack of CELL processors and BR diodes.

yes I read the articles, i suggest you read them again. They said Sony is sock piling parts, but blue laser diodes remain to be in short supply. Just becuase you stock pile parts doesn't mean you can always get the amount you need/want. I don't know where you got the idea that non PS3 blu ray drives are the ones most affected. I thinnk that's stretching things quite a lot.

Official reports with your own twist? ok then... lol.

Actually i didn't suggest any connection between UBIsoft and the reports of blue laser shortages. I just said perhaps Ubsoft found out that PS3's will be in limited supply. That could have come from Sony themselves. It's like I stated before. SONy's PR for the media and what they tell publishers are two very different things, which is why i brought up the PS3 launched this sprint comment. I don't think publishers believed that when they didn't have final devkits or software ready.

Did YOU read the articles? The PS3 manufacturers in Japan and China are noting a lack of CELL processors and BR diodes.

Therefore, the company is apparently (un?)officially suspending shipments of blue lasers to all non-PS3 essential operations in a coordinated effort to get those 4 million units to store shelves by the end of 2006.
http://ps3.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153315

Optical drive manufacturers have indicated that yield rates for blue laser diodes have been much behind demand. This shortage has forced Sony to suspend its blue laser shipments so that they can be used in the supposed 4 million PS3s being produced this year.
http://www.uptilt.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=31m,mj62,spu,4ibp,islw,lpgj,29iw

There's been talk recently about production of the PlayStation 3--why hasn't production begun already?

Hirai: We haven't officially announced production on the PlayStation 3 just yet. But we are on track to deliver 2 million units for the launch period on a worldwide basis that we announced at E3. We are going to make sure that those units get out into the market.
http://news.com.com/Let+the+PS3+games+begin+-+page+2/2008-1043_3-6110352-2.html?tag=st.num

Actually i didn't suggest any connection between UBIsoft and the reports of blue laser shortages. I just said perhaps Ubsoft found out that PS3's will be in limited supply. That could have come from Sony themselves. It's like I stated before. SONy's PR for the media and what they tell publishers are two very different things, which is why i brought up the PS3 launched this sprint comment. I don't think publishers believed that when they didn't have final devkits or software ready.
That requires them to know something we don't. Which would suggest that connection.

"Perhaps Ubisoft realized just how many units Sony will ship of PS3 this fall and realized it wasn't worth it to them to hold off annoucing an Xbox 360 version, since they will likely sell more units on that platform then there will be PS3's available/purchased?"

All the articles you linked to still doesn't mean that Sony will have enough blue lasers to meet their target numbers. if this is going to solve the problem then why are PS3 manufacturers reporting the lasers are in short supply at all? keep in mind they also stated cell processors were in short demand. Regardless I still think sony won't come close to hitting the numbers they stated.

That requires them to know something we don't. Which would suggest that connection.

I stated already:

Quincy wrote: "I just said perhaps Ubsoft found out that PS3's will be in limited supply. That could have come from Sony themselves."

The connection could be sony itself.

All the articles you linked to still doesn't mean that Sony will have enough blue lasers to meet their target numbers.
And it doesnt mean PS3 wont meet it's target numbers either. I'm fine with you assuming there will be a shortage of PS3's. Theres no harm in assuming that, most do. But until I'm told other wise, I have my own opinions to believe sony will make their official target as well. I dont see the big deal. The thing I'm confused about is you suggesting a ubisoft exclusive announcement connected with a shortage.

I stated already:

Quincy wrote: "I just said perhaps Ubsoft found out that PS3's will be in limited supply. That could have come from Sony themselves."

The connection could be sony itself.

What do you have that would suggest Sony telling Ubisoft that? AC isnt even a launch title.
You were suggesting that the whole reason for AC hiding exlcusivity for PS3 was that PS3 would not be in short supply, and now that ubisoft found some information we don't know about they decided to all of a sudden reveal the 360 and PC versions of the game.

I've already said I dont buy that, unless you have a source from Ubisoft saying they have some sort of knowledge of a definate shortage, and not just assumptions.

Oh yeah?

I think that we've always talked about shipping 2 million units worldwide within the calendar year. Since we're going with three territories, we haven't really come up with an allocation just yet. But even if you do the simple math you're talking about less than 700,000 units per territory, per major territory, between launch and the end of the year.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156046.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6156046

But, if you can read German, here is a Sony rep claiming 8 million systems will be shipped by March.

http://www.golem.de/0608/47437.html

Your link of course says 6 million.

So, we've got 3 different numbers all from Sony reps. Which do you choose to believe? 4 Million by end of the year with 6 million by March, 2 million by end of year with probably 3-4 million by March, or 4 million by end of the year with 8 million by March?

Or, would it be better if we just assumed they are all unreliable?

Those reports do nothing but point out the obvious. There is a shortage of BR diodes so Sony has prioritized PS3 over their standalones in an effort to get as many available as possible. Of course they are doing this, would you expect them to prioritize standalone players over PS3?

None of this changes the faqct tha BR diodes are in short supply and yields obviously are not what they were supposed to be when the launch of these devices were planned earlier this year.

And here's the article I was referring to, the latest from Digitimes:
Sony's OEM makers in China and Japan are still preparing for volume production of the PS3 and there is a short supply of blue laser diodes, a key component of Blu-ray Disc (BD) pick-up heads, and cell processors, the sources pointed out,
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33257

So, we've got 3 different numbers all from Sony reps. Which do you choose to believe? 4 Million by end of the year with 6 million by March, 2 million by end of year with probably 3-4 million by March, or 4 million by end of the year with 8 million by March?

In related news, an enterbrain exec recently estimated ~3million PS3's WW by march.

Those reports do nothing but point out the obvious. There is a shortage of BR diodes so Sony has prioritized PS3 over their standalones in an effort to get as many available as possible. Of course they are doing this, would you expect them to prioritize standalone players over PS3?
I never said I expected them to prioritze standalone players over PS3. What I'm saying is that theres a shortage of diodes, and they are using them for PS3 instead of the intended Blu-ray players. It doesnt mean they will make shipment numbers, but it doesnt necessarily mean they will have a ps3 shortage either.

scooby_dooby said:
And here's the article I was referring to, the latest from Digitimes:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33257
and you said it yourself in the same thread...
I don't know, that's just what this report is saying. it could be compeltely false for all we know, or not.

I havent heard any other sites reporting on a cell processor shortage.

They are all the same numbers from e3. They said 2 million at launch, 2 million by the end of the year, and 2 million by the end of th fiscal year. Which is 6 million. The gamespot link has already been debunked as a misunderstanding when kaz said 2 million by the end of the year.

And it doesnt mean PS3 wont meet it's target numbers either. I'm fine with you assuming there will be a shortage of PS3's. Theres no harm in assuming that, most do. But until I'm told other wise, I have my own opinions to believe sony will make their official target as well. I dont see the big deal. The thing I'm confused about is you suggesting a ubisoft exclusive announcement connected with a shortage.

It's like I said before, you've had conlficting or downright wrong information from sony on a number of occasions. If you choose to beleive them now, that's your choice. powederkeg just pointed out more things they are stating differently in the press, as did I. Like I said before and i know this from other people in the industry, what sony tells the media and what they tell actual publishers ( take EA for example) are two different things. EA always knew that ps3 wouldn't launch in spring, yet I'm sure yourself and many others on the net believed what SONY PR was saying.

What do you have that would suggest Sony telling Ubisoft that? AC isnt even a launch title. You were suggesting that the whole reason for AC hiding exlcusivity for PS3 was that PS3 would not be in short supply, and now that ubisoft found some information we don't know about they decided to all of a sudden reveal the 360 and PC versions of the game.

Try reading what I wrote without making assumptions behind what I wrote. I SUGESTED that perhaps Ubisoft has a better idea of how many PS3's will be produced and they realized they could sell more units on the 360. Again you're being extremly argumentitive and overly defensive on this. You did this in another thread in the exact same fashion.

I've already said I dont buy that, unless you have a source from Ubisoft saying they have some sort of knowledge of a definate shortage, and not just assumptions.

I really don't care if you buy that or not. that is of course, your choice.

Back