Multiplatform Assassin's Creed--si or no?

just a conspiracy theorist in me but based on timing of announcement was ubisoft aware that PS3 will not have as many units shipped at launch as expected earlier ?
I don't think that's right, but I also don't think you're too far off from the truth. I posted this in a thread that got deleted, so here it is again:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/assassinscreed/news.html?sid=6156918

GameSpot: Why did you decide to bring Assassin's Creed to the Xbox 360?
Jade Raymond: Our ambitions with Assassin's Creed are high: We're aiming to deliver a completely new gameplay experience on a brand-new engine. With artificial intelligence, physics, animation, and graphics ambitions like ours, we weren't sure how many consoles we could support. But we always wanted to share our next-gen vision with as many gamers as possible. We have just recently been able to prove to ourselves that we will be able to deliver on both systems without sacrificing the quality or innovation of our original concept.
It sounds to me like Ubi expected the PS3 to be more of a technical breakthrough than it is. It sounds like they were planning on supporting it like they supported the Xbox.

Obviously a lot of people in this thread thought it was exclusive. To that I was surprised to find someone in real life who did as well. My anecdote:

I was in Walmart on Sunday and checking out the new 360 demos while shopping. A sales rep came up and we started to talk and we were talking about the PS3. He said he was a big RPG fan and thought the 360 was ok, but he was really looking forward to the PS3 exclusives. I asked him what games he was looking forward to.

Me: "What games are you looking forward too?"

Sales Rep: "Assassin's Creed and Heavenly Sword".

Me: "Did you know that AC is now officially announced for the 360?"

Sales Rep: (whinney voice) "Nooooooooo!"

I asked what the problem was and he said, "I wanted it exclusive". And then we went on talking about how hot HS looks and how they are using 1 SPE for hair alone.

Based on forum reactions, even here, there were a lot of fans who expected an exclusive in some form. More casual fans thought it was as well.

Obviously a lot of people in this thread thought it was exclusive. To that I was surprised to find someone in real life who did as well. My anecdote:

I was in Walmart on Sunday and checking out the new 360 demos while shopping. A sales rep came up and we started to talk and we were talking about the PS3. He said he was a big RPG fan and thought the 360 was ok, but he was really looking forward to the PS3 exclusives. I asked him what games he was looking forward to.

Me: "What games are you looking forward too?"

Sales Rep: "Assassin's Creed and Heavenly Sword".

Me: "Did you know that AC is now officially announced for the 360?"

Sales Rep: (whinney voice) "Nooooooooo!"

I asked what the problem was and he said, "I wanted it exclusive". And then we went on talking about how hot HS looks and how they are using 1 SPE for hair alone.

Based on forum reactions, even here, there were a lot of fans who expected an exclusive in some form. More casual fans thought it was as well.

I talked to a rep at EBGAMES yesterday in Pentagon City who thought the same thing... heh :p

I guess people root for consoles like they were teams...

I guess people root for consoles like they were teams...

Yeah :???: After seeing Forza 2 I told someone that after seeing a AAA franchise from a first party like that it was making me seriously consider a PS3. I am waiting until 2007/2008, but seeing junk like that doesn't impress me at all. It is all about the games, more multi-platform are good IMO because it can make a choice easier--pick the console with my favorite 3-5 best exclusives and then pick up all the multi-platform games.

Yeah :???: After seeing Forza 2 I told someone that after seeing a AAA franchise from a first party like that it was making me seriously consider a PS3. I am waiting until 2007/2008, but seeing junk like that doesn't impress me at all. It is all about the games, more multi-platform are good IMO because it can make a choice easier--pick the console with my favorite 3-5 best exclusives and then pick up all the multi-platform games.

Its amazing how much anecdotal information regarding mindshare you can get from just standing around listening to folks at gamestores... I rarely if ever get involved in those discussions though... just because I read B3D doesn't mean i "know" anything or can vouch for the information's validity... but some of the things you hear include:

"Sony tricked MS into launching early so that they could make their system better"
"PS3 is more powerful because its coming out later"
"Xbox 360 is not really nextgeneration its more like an xbox 1.5"
"this is xbox's last console"

and that was the game store staff! :LOL:

Back