MS: "Xbox 360 More Powerful than PS3"

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Alpha_Spartan, Dec 9, 2005.

1. jvd

jvd
    Banned

what do you think of fp10 as a good trade off ?

2. mckmas8808

Legend

Why isn't anybody confronting this guy's last couple of post? Is this stuff true that he is saying?

Also is this true too that he posted? If so what is the difference in having 5GB/s of to the southbridge instead of having 1 GB? Does this even matter? Again are these numbers true?

#142 mckmas8808, Dec 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2005
  3. zidane1strife

Banned

Heh, I think it's more of a concern of whether it'd be within the viable gaming range, aka 30fps or 60fps.:twisted:

4. Titanio

Legend

They're true, yes, IIRC. The southbridge takes care of your IO, pretty much. PS3 has a lot more IO possibilities than X360, and thus requires more bandwidth. AFAIK, it has to take care of the Bluray drive, HDD, the 6 USB ports, the removeable media slots, the wifi, the Gigabit switch, the bluetooth etc., so they have to make sure there's enough bandwidth there for all that.

5. scificube

Regular

Well...I only have a Sony HDTV. It works so I gues that's a good experience I guess.

Moderator: Post edited because of user stupidity...

6. mckmas8808

Legend

Okay thanks for that info. That makes sense. But what about this stuff? Is this info real too?

7. jvd

jvd
    Banned

the problem mckmass is he put effective numbers for the ps3 and real numbers for the xbox 360 .

Makes it look better than it actually is

8. ROG27

Regular

The reason I clumped KZ CG with the others is because devs recently have stated that we will be surprised by the level of quality of the final realization of the game as compared to the target render. That, coupled with what we've been hearing about Motorstorm and what we know about MGS4, and I think there will be a significant leap (not vast by any means, of course, but still significant). I agree that there is not much of a significant difference now as far as visuals. Notice I didn't say anything about visual assets, but rather I was talking about quality of animation, physics, and simulation. [10,000 ft above the ground vantage point] I think PS3 has a competitive advantage in the CPU area because of capacity for parallelism. When you compare for parallelism, you get 8 completely hw independent threads for CELL vs 3 completely hw independent threads for Xcpu. Thus, CELL can be running 8 simultaneous programs at once while Xcpu only 3 (not accounting for complexity of such because I'm sure CELL's progs are limited in scope), not to mention Xcpu will be wasting some of its power decompressing data because of limited space on the 360's removable medium [/10,000 ft above the ground vantage point]. Use of the cpu to run simulations, in general, should just be more practical on the CELL. I think this to be the differentiating factor for immersiveness in the next-gen. Thus, I think the perception of PS3's demos as having a more immersive quality is due to the aforementioned quality of animation, physics, and simulation. This quality can be attributed, in some ways, to the hardware IMO.

PS. I am being optomistic...I am certainly not naive, however, and I understand there is a possibility PS3 will not live up to expectations. My complete lack of brand loyalty, however, will allow me to enjoy the best experience afforded by the system I find to most match my needs.

9. BTOA

Regular

So I guess DeanoC will have it his way. HS running 60FPS with this new trick. ;)

10. 3roxor

Regular

I thought DeanoC said their target was 30FPS

11. BTOA

Regular

No, he said he would like to have HS running at 60FPS. But with this change in the game engine, it'll probably do 60FPS when it launches.

BTW, OT: but that DeanoC comment about HS not doing FP16 will probably have ******s run around the net spinning it into something bad. :lol:

12. TurnDragoZeroV2G

Regular

Well, that's what they're there for. Hopefully they fall in a hole, along the way. But, with fp16 suddenly looking to be somewhat less necessary... win for developers, as usual. Who isn't curious about what ATI and NV are thinking, though? :wink:

13. Titanio

Legend

Depends. I wonder if Deano or nAo could share where the bound currently is in the game? Or where they expect it to be when all is said and done? That might give you a better idea if this change will help the framerate or not..

14. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Quality/precision is not affected at all, in fact I discovered several cases where FP16 falls short of precision while the color space we're using is doing a much better work.
    Nonetheless there are other trade offs, hardly ever in this world you have win-win situations :)

Agree, but at the same time I can't see any GPU out there which supports a HDR storage format that takes less space than 64 bits and still has an acceptable quality in the vast majority of cases.
    In the end it's a IHVs fault..they can do much better than this from a technical standpoint.

#154 nAo, Dec 10, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
    Jawed likes this.
  15. ralexand

Regular

No, with these changes you would hope that the game runs a 60fps.

16. weaksauce

Regular

17. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

18. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

Dude before I post anything here; I at least check my facts six or seven times, and sometimes doing the math (equation) just make sure things add up. And by the way I do own an Xbox 360 and I love it. But that doesn’t mean I have to ****** protect any system when facts are facts.

Titanio is correct with his answer........

19. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

No, the arrows in the diagram are the clarification - they were drawn in a way to convey their operation.

20. Joe DeFuria

Legend

So my interpretation was correct....correct?