MS: "Xbox 360 More Powerful than PS3"

tile based rendering

nAo said:
No doubts about that, it helped and still helps..
To be fair the answer in this case is negative, when I was working on PS2 I wasn't caring about color spaces at all ;)

I don't know the answer here..
My 'research' (real scientific research is another thing, I'm an amateur) has started cause we want to achieve some goals and I knew we had to find out betters solution to some problems.
Doing high quality HDR rendering using a 32 bits buffer is nice but it's only one small step, that's why I often say that limits and constrains can be a good thing cause they force you (if you care enough ;) )to be smarter and clever and to see things from many points of view.
I really don't know, but as long as we need more and more frame buffer bandwith I believe that using a different color space could be useful even in some years from now.
I wouldn't mind to have TBDR to render everything at full precision without worrying about external memory bandiwith though :)

Is this the form of tile-based rendering which you refer to?

SCEI patent:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...&S1=20040066384&OS=20040066384&RS=20040066384

DeanoC said:
Also blending becomes more complex (LERP_RGB != LERP_NAO32).
Deano and Marco, how did you circumvent this problem? Simply using ping-pong? Blending after the tone-map and living with the consequences? I can't imaging Cell being used because you still need the z-buffer for rendering alpha-blended primitives.

Is heavy blending simply not a requirement of your game?

nAo and Dean are a part of Ninja Theory aren't they? If so I just wanted to send them a HUGE greeting and tell them how much I'm looking forward to Heavenly Sword. After reading through the online journal about how tough it was for you guys to get Heavenly Sword into the hands of a publisher you guys have my full attention and support and after seeing the trailer at E3 I'm definately looking forward to seeing more from Heavenly Sword in the future. Easily one of my most anticipated games for the PS3 as well as whatever Team Ico ( Team Wanda some call them ) have in store for the platform.

A quick question if its not breaking any NDA's or anything, probably isn't since Cell is a pretty open architecture at the moment with IBM pretty much using a " tell all " approach about it. Are you guys finding Cell to be difficult to program for? Thats one of the main things written about the Cell processor. While it is pretty revolutionary in its implementation of a multi-core design it provides alot of programming challenges for the development teams. Also, do you guys see yourselves using the Cell processor in any specialized way with the type of game your creating? I know its not a 99 Nights style game where ALL of what you are doing is fighting 1,000's of enemies at once, but does Cell enhance your ability to place tens of thousands of models on screen at once with individualized AI? Theres been alot of discussion about what type of graphics Cell would be best at.

Anyway, just a few things of interest. Oh, and the moment you guys mentioned " fighting amongst trees " I was immediately interested. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon of course popped into mind. Can't wait to see more from Heavenly Sword! Hopefully you guys show more at CES ;) ;)

Back