Mr Multilateral Himself, Clinton, on the US/UK position

The thing about Clinton is unlike bungling Bush, he actually has the necessary diplomatic skills and tact required to actually get international support in attacking Iraq.

Of course, no one could really do any worse than Bush's "you're with us or else" approach. :rolleyes:

Nagorak said:
The thing about Clinton is unlike bungling Bush, he actually has the necessary diplomatic skills and tact required to actually get international support in attacking Iraq.

Diplomatic skills = lies and deceipt.

No thanks, I prefer to know where my leaders stand.

No that is politics, and they are all politicians ... but it is not what diplomacy is about.

Joe not everyone trusts Bush like you, I think he is full of lies and deceit myself, but I think that the UN is a laughing stock, not to mention Frances position.

I think that going to war to oust Saddam is good w/ or w/o WMD's, because there is no other way his people can get rid of him but violence, and they do not have the capability to overthrow him as was made evident after the first gulf war.

Joe DeFuria said:
Diplomatic skills = lies and deceipt.

Diplomatic skills = Being able to reach an agreement despite different views. Keywords: Listen, understand, indentify the obstacles and find ways around them. Clinton was pretty good at that. It's amazing how fast Bush was able to destroy everything that Clinton built up.

Humus said:
Diplomatic skills = Being able to reach an agreement despite different views. Keywords: Listen, understand, indentify the obstacles and find ways around them. Clinton was pretty good at that. It's amazing how fast Bush was able to destroy everything that Clinton built up.

Politics = lies and deceipt in order to give an appearance that you are listening, understanding, and finding ways around obstacles, when in fact you're just kidding yourself, avoiding the real problem and tough issues because the solutions are not popular.

Clinton was good at that indeed.

"Diplomacy" results in such horrifying "solutions" as a phrase in a resolution such as "Serious Consequences".

yes Joe, we see that this is how you view politics, but your view is not the only one and some of us belive in a good side to politics as well. on the other hand, i do generally agree with your opinion of Clinton. ;)

Joe, your view on what politics is all about is saddening. It's wise to view politicians with a fair amount of suspicion, but politicians aren't inherently bad or lyers. There have been many bad leader thoughout history, but I think it's fair to say most politicians work for good causes.

Yes, I understand you perfectly Joe. Instead of these corrupt lying "politicians" we need strong and steadfast leadership who knows how to handle these partisans filled to the brim with bias. I'm quivering with pleasure all over just thinking about it.

Humus said:
Joe, your view on what politics is all about is saddening. It's wise to view politicians with a fair amount of suspicion, but politicians aren't inherently bad or lyers.

Don't take my statments too blanketly. ;)

IMO, politics is essentially a necessary evil. Like anything else, there are good politicians and bad politicians.

Unfortunately, politicians are rewarded for being popular not for being "right."

That's what makes it almost inherently bad. To the extent that the "right" thing to do, is also the popular thing to do, politics and politicians are great.

CosmoKramer said:
Yes, I understand you perfectly Joe. Instead of these corrupt lying "politicians" we need strong and steadfast leadership who knows how to handle these partisans filled to the brim with bias. I'm quivering with pleasure all over just thinking about it.

You should be.

Humus said:
Joe, your view on what politics is all about is saddening. It's wise to view politicians with a fair amount of suspicion, but politicians aren't inherently bad or lyers. There have been many bad leader thoughout history, but I think it's fair to say most politicians work for good causes.

Well at least if you are already disillusioned you can't be further disillusioned.

Power really does corrupt, and to get to high power in most countries you have to check your morals, that is sad but true. Too many compromises of what you believe in and want to fight for (fight as in work not shoot) must be made, it is pretty sad really.

I think that in the US if we made it a requirement to have a majority to win, then this would go away, b/c politicians would be forced to voice differing opinions, and I mean widely differing, not minute details blown out of proportion. Then we could vote for who we really wanted and on the 2nd go round vote for someone who will actually win.

I tend to agree with Humus, there are good men in there generally, but they might not have your views. There are definitely corrupt people in politics and ability/tactics can vary, but by and large they are sincere in doing what they believe in. Or at least in Canada.

I also agree with Joe, people get the politicians they deserve. :)

Politics is what you have to do to get the job and keep it.
Diplomacy is the ability to get a deal done.

Back