Movies and TV on your Xbox

space issue solved you say , .. ok, but whats the point of leaving your pc powered up , hooked up your xbox360 to your pc, when you just can connect your pc on your tv and do it that way..or i dont know.. its just so wastefull solution

Well it's the difference between me rolling my lazy ass over on the couch, and grabbing the 360 remote control, and firing up a video, as opposed to getting up, going over to the PC and starting up a video. HUGE difference!! :D (not to mention most people don't have video out cards)

Antshaw - great observation, live anywhere's entire thing was that you can purchase an item once and have it on multiple devices, so this makes perfect sense. You should, theoretically be able to DL and store the movie files on PC...nice!

Agreed about the amount of content, it's impressive. I was wonderign when MS was gonna get their crap together, and then bam, all at once they have like 6 partners.

I all along have had a generally wishy-washy feeling about On-Demand, because I like the idea of owning the media & what not (yes, I'm old enough to remember the pride of ownership of a basement full of hundres of records), but to me this really seems like a good idea. I make actually break down & get an XBOX 360 & of course the HD-DVD drive for myself for X-mas.

Now that I think about it, if they add some kind of Slingbox like app (Cars just came out today, & if I could start that 5-6GB download from work) then this would be totally killer, IMHO.

However, what are the major tube carriers (Telco/Cable companies here in the U.S) gonna say if this really picks up. I live in the metro Atlanta area & even though I'm on BS Extreme (8 down/ 512 up) it is really Comcast that has the best local package. Because of the competition here, I doubt either one of those two would make a fuss, but what about rural America & other markets where usage caps are still the norm?

Also, the *philes are not gonna like the 720p, but for my Sony 42A10 (native 720p) this is perfect.

As the Tv shows are permanent, are they any archival plans/abilites?

Have we reached the beginning stages of the general internet as being a utility?

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I'm gung ho on this CONCEPT, the consoles are not going to be where this ends up, at least in the long term.

Consoles need to dedicate all there cost to silicon to produce better graphics, otherwise the other guy will get an edge. As such, things like big hard drives are not beneficial to the console model.

It will go the way of set-top, dedicated boxes, with dedicated hardware, and eventually priced lower and lower to the $99 point. EVENTUALLY, this is just a nice start..

I mean, you do not need 399 worh of electronics to do this. Nor do plenty of people care about video games, or paying for expensive video game boxes, that would be interested in this service. So the logical step will be to split the set-top box out seperatly.
________
Viktorya

The problem is you need Comcast in order to do this.

Once you get this from MS on your 360, you no longer need to pay Comcast for their DVR.

(Replace Comcast with any internet/cable provider.)

So MS is launching a service that is in direct competition with a service provider that is required for the service they are launching.

This is the main issue with digital distribution. It's not really about the cost of the hardware, or whether or not everything should be its own dedicated box. Its about service providers competing with each other, and how DSL (phone) isn't allowed to be a service provider and is forced by statute to be a utility.

If MS wants to this really work, they'll have to enter a deal with Comcast, and that will most certainly result in a monopoly. Hell, why have DVRs at all? Just have MS subsidize the 360 in Comcast households instead.

Ahh.. the future.

Slightly OT

About 3 peeps over at AVS have gotten their HD-DVD add-on which included the HD-DVD version of King Kong. So far they are all positive. Starts at the bottom of page 46.

Just figured people in this thread would have some interest in that too.

Until they allow the content to be tranferred to at LEAST a Zune player ( and ideally any portable media center) its an inferior solution to what Apple is doing already. By January apple will have all this on the Mac with the iTV extender for people who just want to do this. MS needs to get the portable device thing solved and also figure out a way to download the content directly on your PC and stream it, or download it on the 360 and use the PC as a storage device. Even an external USB2 hard drive would be a good start.

I understand this requires baby steps with all they are trying to do with this platform, but i dont think this is much to be excited about. Storage and portability are 2 big gaps for them right now.

MS needs to get the portable device thing solved and also figure out a way to download the content directly on your PC and stream it, or download it on the 360 and use the PC as a storage device.

Agreed. I assume this will all come with Windows Vista, the entire shpeel for Live Anywhere was that you could buy something once, and view it on multiple devices, so this would seem like a natural fit.

Agreed. I assume this will all come with Windows Vista, the entire shpeel for Live Anywhere was that you could buy something once, and view it on multiple devices, so this would seem like a natural fit.

Did that Live anywhere 'vision' include music and movies or was it just games? (e.g. Zuma, pocket Zuma, Zuma Lite, etc)

By January apple will have all this on the Mac with the iTV extender for people who just want to do this.
OT, but seeing how protective Apple are of their crazy iXXXX naming, I'll like to see how they market this thing in the UK where we've had ITV television for decades.

OT, but seeing how protective Apple are of their crazy iXXXX naming, I'll like to see how they market this thing in the UK where we've had ITV television for decades.

The big difference being, we already own 360's.

iTV will cost an additional $299. I don't see these as direct competitors to each other.

Microsoft is bringing an additional feature, with no additional cost (again other then content) to us. Where as every other competitor/service costs additional $$.

I am a little piqued about hearing Amir's statements about this not being interfaced with Live Anywhere. Because that brings us right back to storage space.

Evidently we don't have all the pieces to this puzzle yet. But still, I like it. Just like the Fall update, I like anything additional Microsoft is going to give me with my 360 at no additional cost.

What in the world is MS waiting for with the bigger HDD?

It's funny how they keep dancing around the issue, refuse to confirm that one is coming, I mean come on guys, it's a harddrive! Nobody really cares! Just release the 100gb model already...are at least confirm what you're planning on doing, why the need for secrecy on such mundane details? Surely they must know by niow what the plan is...

It's funny how they keep dancing around the issue, refuse to confirm that one is coming, I mean come on guys, it's a harddrive! Nobody really cares! Just release the 100gb model already...are at least confirm what you're planning on doing, why the need for secrecy on such mundane details? Surely they must know by niow what the plan is...

If they tell us now, people might start waiting for it to be released and hold off their purchases.
The thing already has a release date probably, so MS is just holding off telling us till it's strictly necessary to try and maximise their sales of the smaller ones.

That's just my prediction really. Either that or they really don't know if or when they're releasing it.

Can you feel a new "premium" console with a bigger hard drive and HDMI1.3 coming out....oh say, around spring?

Can you feel a new "premium" console with a bigger hard drive and HDMI1.3 coming out....oh say, around spring?

No?

Anyway, this is going to set-top's people. Xbox is only a stop on the path. In that respect, the Apple thimajig has a brighter future than this, because it's a seperate, set-top box.
________
BUBBLERS

Hmm... ok, "retarded" from consumer perspective, but I think there are good reasons behind it.

To my understand (and I'm still piecing the picture here)...

Where content business is concerned...

* The "PlayForSure" open platform strategy is different/separate from Zune's closed platform strategy.

* Xbox 360 will follow Zune's closed platform strategy. So all those content download will work presumably on 360 and Zune (Otherwise, they cannot fight Apple's iPod + iTV duo, and Sony's PS3 + PSP combo). I think MS realized that the closed platform content strategy works better than the open platform one.

Where communication is concerned

* The Live Anywhere thing should be stretching as uniformly as possible from cell phone to Xboxes to PCs. No conflict here.

EDIT:
Ok I was right: Zune and Xbox can share content
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15669798/site/newsweek/page/2/
Seems like MS is rushing their product to meet the timeline (again).

Back