Movies and TV on your Xbox

I don't see myself ever paying for TV episodes or movies downloads.

Freakily enough, this morning i got up, and while in the shower i was thinking "Wouldn't it be really cool to have bittorrent clients on 360 and PS3, so u can just download things on them and watch them straight on your TV, without worrying about how to get the material there from your PC!?"...

Episodes 3$! Thats too much. If you but a season of some series, it cost more than 30$. And where you still store those clips because lack of HD space on Xbox360?

too bad this wont work well in belgium. ALL isp's still have data limits every month. for as low as 10Gbyte /month for a normal adsl connection

I don't see myself ever paying for TV episodes or movies downloads.

Freakily enough, this morning i got up, and while in the shower i was thinking "Wouldn't it be really cool to have bittorrent clients on 360 and PS3, so u can just download things on them and watch them straight on your TV, without worrying about how to get the material there from your PC!?"...

:D
Apple's rumored iTV box is supposed to do this (Supposedly modified BitTorrent -- so that it's streaming friendly -- and playback on TV). My guess is BT client is probably one of the first to get ported to YDL too.

too bad this wont work well in belgium. ALL isp's still have data limits every month. for as low as 10Gbyte /month for a normal adsl connection

Really? We have those here, but there are also a lot of ISPs who provide unlimited services. In fact, most ISPs here have both, offering the limited services at cheaper prices of course.

Also, the size of Batman Forever in 720p is 1.3 gig which makes me think it is heavily compressed in VC1 or H.264.

I think it's 5.4GB for the HD. SD is 1.3GB, AFAIK.

In the time it would take me to download that, I could be down to my local video rental and back again multiple times over (and I have a pretty decent connection). Add in the inconvenience of keeping x amount of (currently rather limited) HDD space free, and I don't know how often I'd be inclined to use this. But I'm sure it's a good solution for some people, and it does lay the groundwork for MS for an apparently inevitable longer-term future.

edit - although the video does start playing before the download finishes, which offsets the time issue a bit.

Really? We have those here, but there are also a lot of ISPs who provide unlimited services. In fact, most ISPs here have both, offering the limited services at cheaper prices of course.

I'm on ntl here in Ireland, and we have an unwritten 40GB/month cap, AFAIK. I don't think they strictly enforce it if you don't really abuse it, but it is there. I thought it was the same in the UK, but maybe things have since changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on ntl here in Ireland, and we have an unwritten 40GB/month cap, AFAIK. I don't think they strictly enforce it if you don't really abuse it, but it is there. I thought it was the same in the UK, but maybe things have since changed.
We have a choice here. Unlimited services are a bit more expensive than the capped ones, but of course they are actually cheaper if you download a lot since the fees for going over your limit usually bring your bills over what you would pay for the unlimited service anyway.
Many ISPs will have a range of services at different speeds and different dload limits, up to Unlimited.

Anyway, off topic now.

FWIW, we already have some of this over here (the Netherlands / Belgium). There have been (e.g.) some MTV shows available for download for some time now.

I think those are 80 points or something like that.

Downloads are in VC-1 (aka WMVHD) at 720p, 6.8Mbps video with 5.1 surround.

source: http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/11/06/microsofts-xbox-live-video-hdtv-and-hd-movie-downloads-for-you/

Pictures from the LIVE VIDEO service on the 360:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/07/xbox-live-video-hands-on/

And a 80GB hard disk:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/07/80gb-xbox-360-drive-leaked-oh-and-the-hd-dvd-retail-box-too/

xbox_vod_17.jpg

xbox_vod_16.jpg

xbox_vod_19.jpg

my head confuses with all those prices in MS points.. eergh

so, wha happened to the 100g drive?

That's definitely a good multi-media service for the X360. However, I'm wondering how this will affect their HD-DVD add on uptake. On the one hand you have HD movies on the downloadable and on the other hand you have HD-DVD the hard copies movies (Rent/buy). I can see some saying I don't need to buy an HD-DVD player because this multi-media service offers my tastes.
I don't think it matters that much to them. HD-DVD is more important for Toshiba than it is for Microsoft because one way or another Blu-Ray will end up on the PC. Both devices already make use of Microsoft’s codec so they win either way.

Microsoft has been making hints about online distribution since the 360 was first announced. Saying that on-demand is the way of future than either of the HD formats. All these movie trailers and the Viva Piñata download on line kind of hinted to it as well. All they need is Fox and PBS and everything is golden. Downloading the latest Simpsons, Prison Break(love watching this in HD), and Family Guy eps will make make many Xbox owners happy.

If Toshiba really wanted to get their drive to many console owners as possible they would have made a better deal with either Microsoft or Nintendo to have it built into the systems even if they would have to sell each drive at a substantial loss.

Hmm... how long does it take to download a 1.3 Gig of SD movie for average consumers in US ? Is it BitTorrent based or straight HTTP/FTP ?

Since no one ever answered this, it would take about 30 minutes for most people with broadband, give or take a few minutes.

my head confuses with all those prices in MS points.. eergh

so, wha happened to the 100g drive?

I think MS came out and said that it was a fake, saying something about how they wouldn't announce it in a backwater place such as that conference in Korea. :p

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=857137&postcount=61

OTOH... 60GB:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=864013&postcount=78

(FWIW, my admin/news editor went to a Viva Pinata thing last month, and he said there was a 60GB drive in use)

Another video, but this one is clearly different than what was on MS's site yesterday (The movie link shown was Batman Forever in the removed video, this one shows ATL instead).

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7329

The filesize of the movies are clearly inline with what you guys said. I guess I am getting old :?

I think it's 5.4GB for the HD. SD is 1.3GB, AFAIK.

In the time it would take me to download that, I could be down to my local video rental and back again multiple times over (and I have a pretty decent connection).

It all depends how fast their servers can pump it out, my connection is capable of > 1MBps, which could stream this in realtime. The bitrate is 6.8mbps, which is almost ideal for broadband streaming. Of course, that's if their servers can keep up, which they probably can't.

I like being able to keep the TV shows, rental service is cool, hi def UFC PPV events would be awesome, and being able to watch HD content without a player is a great idea. HDD space is a major issue though, maybe this will come hand in hand with a HDD price reduction and the introduction of the 100gb model, or ideally, with the launch of windows vista it can store content on the PC and access it through the network.

First off this is fantastic news. Any way to get more content to me, I am happy with. More oprtions the better.

Second, it got me thinking about my 20gb HD that is really only 13gb. Where am I going to store all this data?? Easy, Live Anywhere. I can easily see myself or anyone else downloading their conent on their PC and streaming it over to their XBOX. Space issue solved.

The prices seem about right. I'd much rather download a $4 movie then go rent a $4 movie from Blockbuster. I mean hell, I have gotten more stuff 'On Demand' from Comcast in the last year, then I have walked foot into any Blockbuster.

I think this is a neat idea, and it was bound to happen.

I am really suprised to see so much content available right off the bat. That is what truly suprised me.

space issue solved you say , .. ok, but whats the point of leaving your pc powered up , hooked up your xbox360 to your pc, when you just can connect your pc on your tv and do it that way..or i dont know.. its just so wastefull solution

space issue solved you say , .. ok, but whats the point of leaving your pc powered up , hooked up your xbox360 to your pc, when you just can connect your pc on your tv and do it that way..or i dont know.. its just so wastefull solution

All I was saying is that it was an additional option. On top of it, it can work right at launch.

I am guessing that you don't have a 360 by your statements. Please correct me if I am wrong.

But, it is a seamless and easy connection to have your 360 hooked up wired/wirelessly to your home network.

And this almost assures us we will see an additional HD released for the 360. But that in itself brings up the question what we would see. A HD with the same form factor as the current HD? An external USB add on? Or if they just add support to allow us to use our current external HD.

Clearly all this is speculation.

Back