Movie Reviews 2.0

Saw Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy now also. Pretty good, if a bit flat. But a nice change of pace, though it's still better as a book. 7.5/10.

...One interesting thing is that there are both 2D and 3D versions of the movie on the same disc. I've not seen that before on any previous bluray title I own. Not sure how they solved that on a technical level, maybe they limited the bitrate in order to simply fit two copies of the movie back-to-back, but if that's the case it's not noticeable. Picture quality is very very good, even in fast, intense action scenes. Or maybe the movie simply plays just one of the twin video streams in 2D mode, if that is possible. I dunno.
BDXL Blu-Ray discs can hold up to 128GB with four layers, and Pioneer pushed out a 400GB disc a few years ago. But they may have simply been able to get both the 2D and 3D movies on the 50GB dual-layer disc.

BDXL Blu-Ray discs can hold up to 128GB with four layers, and Pioneer pushed out a 400GB disc a few years ago. But they may have simply been able to get both the 2D and 3D movies on the 50GB dual-layer disc.

I seem to remember that they worked on something like using just one eye part of the 3D image for regular viewing as well. Makes a lot of sense, really.

Just got back from Lincoln. Movie of the year, absolutely fantastic film and Day-Lewis' performance overshadows the entire effort. The Academy might as well hand him his statuette as an early Christmas gift.

BDXL Blu-Ray discs can hold up to 128GB with four layers
Yes I've heard of those, but can PS3 (and all other) players actually read such discs?

Also, when a 3D movie is screened in a regular, non-3D cinema, which eye do they pick to represent the picture...? Theoretically, the perspective of everything ought to be tweaked just slightly off-kilter due to the uncentered camera position. :D

Just got back from Lincoln. Movie of the year, absolutely fantastic film and Day-Lewis' performance overshadows the entire effort. The Academy might as well hand him his statuette as an early Christmas gift.
is this lincoln the wanker aka true tale -
or lincoln the cleaned up version blessed by god

he along with JFK get this whitewashed history
btw - oscars are like the nobel peace prize - only nice to write down but anyone in the know thinks they are like a parking ticket/speeding fine

Yes I've heard of those, but can PS3 (and all other) players actually read such discs?
Supposedly it just requires a firmware upgrade. But I guess this discussion isn't helped by not being aware of the data storage required for most BRD movies....

Also, when a 3D movie is screened in a regular, non-3D cinema, which eye do they pick to represent the picture...? Theoretically, the perspective of everything ought to be tweaked just slightly off-kilter due to the uncentered camera position. :D
Yeah, I'd be somewhat skeptical that this would be a good idea in general. But then again, the movie may have been shot this way intentionally: it's the only way, after all, to avoid using three cameras at once.

Almost knowing nothing about the movie, I'm getting the impression that Skyfall is liked better in the U.S. than in Europe ...

Skyfall got good reviews here in the UK - one of the best Bond films, apparently.

I've not seen it yet myself but my parents and sister enjoyed it so I'll see it some time...

Daniel Craig is an excellent James Bond.

@Robocop
I say bring it on. I thought the first movie (Verhoeven's) was really unique and cool.

So, how does everyone feel about a new Robocop movie, because it's apparently happening.
The robosuit looks infinitely stupid, just like with the new Dredd movie. Also, I'm sceptical as hell regarding their casting choice for Robo, it's like they just couldn't get anyone good because nobody with some name recognition and proper talent wanted to appear in the role... :LOL:

I'm not gonna see it, on general principle. No way in hell it could equal the original, much less eclipse it.

Not only does the suit look stupid, apparently the people behind it also shoot for a PG rating. Seriously, A Robocop movie with a PG rating?

I watched Dredd a couple of days ago. Loved every minute of it. Hyper-violent, gory, cynical, gritty, aesthetically fantastic, extremely lean (not an ounce of fat on that one) and devoid of Pauly Shore - everything the Stallone movie from the mid-nineties was not.
Dredd was basically the kinda movie Paul Verhoeven would have made 15 years a go.

Watched the dark knight rises and men in black 3 the other day.

The dark knight rises was a dissapointment. I loved the first two movies but this one just had a whole lot of talking, almost no batman and Bane just doesn't come close to the joker imo. Also at almost three hours it's way to long. 3 hours of the previous movies would have been great, 3 hours of this isn't.

Men in black 3 on the other hand was lots of fun. Don't expect a deep story but it's enough to keep you interested and the story has some good pacing packed with plenty of action.

Watched the dark knight rises and men in black 3 the other day.

The dark knight rises was a dissapointment. I loved the first two movies but this one just had a whole lot of talking, almost no batman and Bane just doesn't come close to the joker imo. Also at almost three hours it's way to long. 3 hours of the previous movies would have been great, 3 hours of this isn't.

Men in black 3 on the other hand was lots of fun. Don't expect a deep story but it's enough to keep you interested and the story has some good pacing packed with plenty of action.

I am with you on the Dark Knight. I had to watch it twice before I thought ok good movie but after the second movie this movie was VERY disappointing. My wife said it best...Dark Knight >> Batman Begins >> Dark Knight Rises. Never dreamed in a million years my wife would be discussing Batman movies with me in earnest :love:

Back