Movie Reviews 2.0

A lot of Godzillas, AND Giant F***ing Robots - Guillermo del Toro style. With a huge budget and ILM on the VFX.

So I am really excited about it :)

(they are making a new Godzilla movie as well, though)

Been a looong time since I visited this thead, read the last couple of pages to see whats been discussed recently so apologies if I bring up kinda old movies.

Last night I watched Battle for Terra, actually confused the title with Titan AE.
Turned out to be a really cool movie, very much impressed, definitely the best movie I've seen for ages.
One jarring issue was the audio for the big collapse which sounded exactly like a couple of hammers banging & some bits of metal dropped on the floor.

Tintin was actually pretty decent too.

Dark Knight Rises was a let down & I went into it not expecting much at all.
The one thing I thought was nearly guaranteed was almost completely absent: Gratuitous shots of Anne Hathaway in skintight Catwoman outfit :???:
I mean there were a couple but they were from far too far away & in much too dark lighting :cry:
My colleague said 'bad guy sounds like a mix of Darth Vader & Sean Connery', I thought that sounded like it'd be a good thing but in my head it was pretty much the opposite of the actual mix.
Picked the bad guy early.
WTF 'they made a fusion nuke out of a fusion reactor, OMG we had no idea that could happen' :rolleyes: because there aren't already gazillions of fusion bombs already...
'I couldn't turn it on because someone might make a bomb out of it, so instead I just left it sitting there unguarded under the river next to Gotham instead of dismantling it & disposing of it safely'. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Speaking of Gotham: normally in Batman they make some attempt to have Gotham as not literally Manhattan & the complete absence of that was a let down too.
Oh yeah & I very much disliked the really clumsy anti-occupy propaganda spread liberally through it.

I did actually quite like Batman Begins & Dark Knight, at least they had a bit more substance than the normal fluffy comic based movie.

I enjoyed Colombiana: not only plenty of gratuitous catsuit shots but I did enjoy her clever entries & escapes. Good fun trying to guess where she'd go next.

Agree with general consensus on Prometheus: It was visually very nice (including nice tip of the hat to Geigers' original Hive design) but had among the worst possible plots.
I mean it was really really really bad. Like it was written by the guy with the hair from Ancient Aliens.
Bunch of high-tech 'scientists' who utterly failed at the most basic levels of scientific method, quarantine, prevention of bio-contamination etc.
I mean ffs how hard is it to sit in orbit for a bit, map the planet, send down some robots & find out a teensy bit about the place before landing & taking helmets off? Or at least compress that into a single line of dialogue 'yeah we've had satelites/robots here for several years mapping it & doing some basic scouting of the structures we found over here'
Despite them saying categorically 'its not an Alien prequel & its a different planet' the only thing that seems to have been consistently in the minds of the script writers was to make sure they set up the conditions for Alien.

War Horse was another surprise, I had no idea what it was about, figured it was going to be something like 'kid gets ex war horse & wins a race saving the family from destitution with the prize money' or something but I actually really liked that incredible journey they did :smile:

I watched John Carter the other night.

No glaring incongruities in the plot that I could see (if you disregard Carter's apparent ability to sidestep the laws of physics as the incredible bouncing man), but it wasn't great, to say the least. My fiancee fell asleep in the middle of the film which I think is a pretty good indicator.

I'll give it 5/10 as it passed the time.

^^ "The uploader has not made this video available in your country." WTFBBQAARRRGGGHH

Here is one that's allowed in the States:

Soo... The not-very-romulan:y romulan from the first movie is the badguy again...? The voice sounds different so maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they replaced the actor.

The rather unique visuals from the previous flick return it would seem, I liked the stark contrasts between gritty and shiny-clean.

This could either be quite good, or really bad I dunno. I was hoping for some big, epic space battles between the enterprise and klingons maybe, where Kirk could show off his cunning as a commander rather than a fistfight slugger. That'd been cool. Like Kirk vs. Kahn from Star Trek II. Except Kahn wasn't a Klingon, of course... ;) This movie on the other hand, the psychopath-crazy-madman-destroy-everything villain is getting a tad long in the tooth, it's been done SO many times now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, a third alternative. Thank you. :D Anyway, still seems to be the same vein of character though, "I will destroy you aaalll, hhaahahahahaa..." kind of guy.

Btw, we need more badgals in movies. There's not been any good ones in ages. Ever? Hm, wait... There was one in that Pierce Brosnan Bond flick which I kinda liked. Ten fucking years ago.

I enjoyed the first (new) Start Trek and am looking forward to this as well. My only comment after seeing the trailer is "want more space, want more Enterprise".

I suppose it is too much to hope for a storyline without too many gaping holes? I realise it is a big Hollywood blockbuster but surely it shouldn't be too much effort to come up with a coherent plot without any needlessly dumb stuff?

I enjoyed the first (new) Start Trek and am looking forward to this as well. My only comment after seeing the trailer is "want more space, want more Enterprise".

Same here.
But I think this will be the first Trek movie with Enterprise flying into Earth atmosphere! (more like crashing, but still)
So this year Hobbit and next year Star Trek! Can't wait!

I go see the Trek for sure, but I'm not expecting too much. I hope the villain is at least a bit more intelligent this time...

Man of Steel is definitely on my radar as well for 2013.

I go see the Trek for sure, but I'm not expecting too much. I hope the villain is at least a bit more intelligent this time...

Man of Steel is definitely on my radar as well for 2013.
Way, way, way too many reboots in recent years.

Goofy was Hackman in the original Supermen (Supermans? :LOL:) movies from the 70s/80s. Spacey was creepy, IMO. Other actors were good too I might add, but the (plot of the) movie itself was not very good, and the ending didn't make sense.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan, interesting.

He is a brilliant actor, especially in the BBC produced Sherlock, where he co-stars with Martin Freeman.

I suppose it is too much to hope for a storyline without too many gaping holes? I realise it is a big Hollywood blockbuster but surely it shouldn't be too much effort to come up with a coherent plot without any needlessly dumb stuff?

That is the precise reason why I hated ST09 so much. It was all glitz and no content.

Edit: IMO it wasn't that much better than Terminator 4 or Transformers 2. It was more coherent than either of those and that's it.

Any movie without Shia LaBoeuf acting annoying and douchy is better than any of the Transformers. Oh yeah, any movie where Michael Bay is not involved in any capacity is likely to be better than any of the Transformers as well...

Back