Movie Reviews 2.0

Well if you start questioning the fight sequences, you can drop pretty much all superhero movies in trash bin. Starting from idiocy of fist fights between superpowered individuals, and enemies always waiting their turn in line to be beaten up.

That explanation would still have to mean that the Falcon and friends we see in the parkbench scene must have lived their lives in the timeline where Cap has been with Peggy all these years.

Yes and no. Falcon and friends have lived their lives in a timeline where they don't yet know about Old Cap because that hasn't happened for them yet. They've been hanging out with Young Cap as depicted in all of the movies.

So it is not the same timeline we saw up to that point in all the MCU movies, but the dudes still seem surprised him popping up as an old guy. It does not compute.
Ignoring sci-fi nonsense, the accepted theories on time concur that it is relative, and this is clarified in Endgame. There are at least two timelines at play here which are, seemingly, mostly the same anyway. Given this, why wouldn't Falcon be surprised to see Old Steve? They could not possibly have known about him until his appearance.

From Steve's perspective, his life chronology (ages 1 to 105) was being born in 1918 then becoming Captain America in 1941 (age 23), where he fought the nazis until 1945 when he was frozen in ice (age 27). He was thawed out in 2011 (still age 27ish), rejoins SHIELD and engages in many Avengers hijinks until 2023 and the events of Endgame (age approx 39). He then goes back in time to 1945 to live with Agent Carter and lives until at least 2023 (Endgame) where he would be 105 years old if Old Cap wasn't snapped, and 100 years old if he was.

Until Endgame, at no point during any of the previous MCU films, would Steve have known about being with Agenct Carter because that was in his future, even if the events took place in Earth's linear time history.

As to why Steve may have lived a quiet life, I think there are a few sound reasons. First, Time Travelling Steve (age 39+) knows all about SHIELD, Hydra and other organisations that might pose a problem for him and Carter. More importantly, although all of the events depicted in the films in his past, they are yet to play out in the timelines he's now in. Frozen Cap still needs to be discovered, recovered, build the Avengers and save Earth and the universe a few times. There is a fascinating risk/reward dilemma of could Time Travelling 1945 Steve saved a lot of suffering and death if he tries to pre-emptive and prevent the events in his past, that have not yet begun to playout in his present.

I guess I have a problem with their basic premise that they're actually time travelling. They're not, they're dimension hopping to parallel universes to get the new infinity stones and in the end Cap will be returning the stones to their original universes. He wouldn't actually be in the past of their timeline.

I think it depends who's language who wish to lean on. Ant-Man says it's time travelling, so does Tony Stark and Bruce Banner. The Ancient One at the New York Sanctum, where Hulk retrieves the time stone, also confirms these are different timelines. Maybe somebody use the word dimension, I honestly can't remember, but the phrases "time travel" and "time heist" were used a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes yes, the linearity of Steve's life is not in question. Of course he only remembers things that have happened in his personal past.

But I can't digest the necessarily two timelines (original without Cap living post-WW2 life, and the tampered one) presented pretty much a single flow of historical events. There simply must have been significant differences between the timelines, and their life together would have been tricky at times - e.g. Sharon Carter must have wondered why Peggy's husband is always locked up into closet when visiting her aunt...

But I can't digest the necessarily two timelines (original without Cap living post-WW2 life, and the tampered one) presented pretty much a single flow of historical events. There simply must have been significant differences between the timelines, and their life together would have been tricky at times - e.g. Sharon Carter must have wondered why Peggy's husband is always locked up into closet when visiting her aunt...

Why must there have been significant differences? Steve has done his bit to save the universe, so if he goes and settles down quietly why is that going to massively change anybody's timeline? Agent Carter marries him, her original fame marries somebody else.. Him looking a lot of Captain America would have been the biggest issue but it was post-war 1945. A lot of people would only have seen Steve's likeness in poor quality newspaper pictures and mostly with a mask on. By the time technology has moved on, he'd be old news until the thawing, by which time Time Travelling Steve is about 90.

Maybe we should watch Agent Carter and resume the analysis after that.

What I mean is, everybody Carter worked with definitely knew Cap. Many were probably aware that something might be going on between the two of them. A lot of OSS/SHIELD/Hydra people must have wondered where Cap had actually ended up (he genuinely was in ice, but they didn't confirm it until beginning of Avengers). Maybe they became a hermit couple living far away from everyone they knew, but that would have prevented Agent Carter from being in SHIELD core personnel and getting heroic stuff done.

It's in my queue. But I would expect that Agent Carter takes place entirely in the pre-Endgame timeline which could not account for he divergent MCU timeline introduced in Endgame.

What I mean is, everybody Carter worked with definitely knew Cap. Many were probably aware that something might be going on between the two of them. A lot of OSS/SHIELD/Hydra people must have wondered where Cap had actually ended up (he genuinely was in ice, but they didn't confirm it until beginning of Avengers). Maybe they became a hermit couple living far away from everyone they knew, but that would have prevented Agent Carter from being in SHIELD core personnel and getting heroic stuff done.

I understand, and I'm not trying to argue that X is right or Y wrong. I jumped into this conversation because of the alleged inconsistencies. I'm not taking the position that there aren't inconsistencies, only that I didn't notice anyway, noting that I was not looking for them because movies are entertainment. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there weren't inconsistencies because there are often are in media for [retro]-narrative progression but none really stood out.

Other than magic, nano-technology, parallel-timelines, the multiverse and everything else that is utter nonsense :cool:

It's in my queue. But I would expect that Agent Carter takes place entirely in the pre-Endgame timeline which could not account for he divergent MCU timeline introduced in Endgame.
Precisely for that purpose it would be more interesting now; So far the series has not seemed tempting enough for me but the multiverse stuff brings new dimensions into the story...

Marvel's Agent Carter series is from Marvel Television that was the same studio for Agents of Shield both of which are Non-Canon with the MCU Movies from Marvel Studios. Anything shown in that series is meaningless.

Marvel's Agent Carter series is from Marvel Television that was the same studio for Agents of Shield both of which are Non-Canon with the MCU Movies from Marvel Studios. Anything shown in that series is meaningless.
But... But... What if it isn't meaningless?

But... But... What if it isn't meaningless?

Key indicator being how the Marvel's Legends section completely ignores that show entirely. So far the only thing that is MCU Canon is what we have seen in the Captain America movies, which is what they showed in Agent Carter Legends episode. They have not shown anything else.

btw any superhero movies where the strong/weak win/loss drama/fights is woven into the story itself instead of on the whim of the writers?

for series there's The Boys, but for movies? any recommendations?

Because if they kill baby Thanos, they’re not changing their own timeline but simply creating a parallel reality where there’s not Thanos. While their own reality is still the one where Thanos killed half of the universe and then died in the first 5 min of the movie. They explain this :)

The big question is what happens to Thanos after he traveled forth in time and got killed. Was it a copy that traveled forth in time?

The big question is what happens to Thanos after he traveled forth in time and got killed. Was it a copy that traveled forth in time?
I’m drunk but technically his original timeline won’t have a Thanos. And that timeline now exists parallel to the main one. I think? Oh I have no idea.

I’m drunk but technically his original timeline won’t have a Thanos. And that timeline now exists parallel to the main one. I think? Oh I have no idea.
That's right, that universe is now missing not only Thanos and his army but also Nebula and Gamorra. So no Guardians of Galaxy either for them.

And in the case of the previously discussed cap-in-the-park scene, there also is now a timeline where Steve just disappeared, leaving Falcon wondering what happened (this is the actual timeline we had been following thus far in the movies) in addition to the timeline we are shown next when the scene continues with Steve sitting there as an old dude.

Last edited:
Is there line graphs or something to visualize that somewhere on the internet?

I think I understood the timeline and parallel worlds shenanigans but I'm also not sure

Is there line graphs or something to visualize that somewhere on the internet? I think I understood the timeline and parallel worlds shenanigans but I'm also not sure
If you watch the scene in Endgame where the Ancient One explains why she's reluctant to give Hulk the time stone. she creates a visual representation of the risk through branch timelines. It's also covered in Loki.

That's right, that universe is now missing not only Thanos and his army but also Nebula and Gamorra. So no Guardians of Galaxy either for them.

And in the case of the previously discussed cap-in-the-park scene, there also is now a timeline where Steve just disappeared, leaving Falcon wondering what happened (this is the actual timeline we had been following thus far in the movies) in addition to the timeline we are shown next when the scene continues with Steve sitting there as an old dude.
Mmmm…. Bit of a headache but I dont think that’s right. The ‘original’ timeline had Cap going back in time and then 2 min later he was there, old and all. It’s the same timeline. Preeeetty sure.

Watched the Doctor Strange movie last night and found it quite enjoyable. I'm pleased that Sam Raimi got the chance to do some of his usual whacky camera work later in the film (you know the bit I'm talking about). Overall, a marked difference from the usual Marvel fare but interestingly different.
Obviously, the whole storyline is reliant on Wanda/Red Witch becoming a total fruit loop between the end of Wandavision and this film.

Back