Movie Reviews 2.0

Edit: Woops, I meant to reply in regards to Ender's Game, and Orson Scott Card.
He doesn't get a dime from any money made from the movie, he was paid a long time ago when the rights were bought. (So say the producers) Though an argument could be made for the utility of punishing those who deal in the works of such authors. The counter argument being that the rights were bought before his infamous views were well known.

Well, I finally got around to watching the last part of The Hobbit trilogy. I did wonder how Jackson would manage to eke out a whole film from a battle which took up just a few paragraphs in the book, but now I have my answer: Dismally.

Thank the Lord that he can't do any more damage to much loved works by Tolkien. I'm assuming here that the Silmarillion would be too incoherent to film properly. God only knows what rubbish Jackson would come up with if let loose on that particular book of mythos.

Oh, while I remember, can somebody tell me how the frick did sandworms make their way from Arrakis to Middle Earth? And why?

Iron Giant is going back up on the big screen... That was unexpected - to me anyway! That movie was always treated very stepmotherly by WB IMO, but it seems eventually even they had to acknowledge it's fucking great, so they're re-issuing it, allegedly with some previously deleted scenes (not always a good thing tho), and then releasing the BR version later in the fall.
I love the Iron Giant. My 3 1/2 year old daughter watched it with me at the weekend. Was very hard trying to reassure her while as usual I'm welling up at 'I love you'. Get's me every time. Less said about 'superman' the better. :)

I have a vague recollection of being read (or reading) the original Iron Man book by Ted Hughes as a kid and really enjoying it. Many moons ago now!

I might have to watch the recent(ish) animated Iron Giant adaptation to see how it matches up to my hazy memories.

The counter argument being that the rights were bought before his infamous views were well known.
Is this actually true? If so, then I might actually consider watching this movie. Won't buy any of the guy's books tho.

I did wonder how Jackson would manage to eke out a whole film from a battle which took up just a few paragraphs in the book, but now I have my answer: Dismally.
Ugh. Yeah, I was never a fan of the idea of making a trilogy from the Hobbit. I really liked the Ring movies, but the first of the Hobbit movies was just pure shit really. It had moments where it did not suck, and then it was just more shit piled on top. Never got around to watch the other two, and frankly I doubt I ever will. Sad, sad! Where in the story does movie #2 end?

Well, I finally got around to watching the last part of The Hobbit trilogy. I did wonder how Jackson would manage to eke out a whole film from a battle which took up just a few paragraphs in the book, but now I have my answer: Dismally.

Thank the Lord that he can't do any more damage to much loved works by Tolkien. I'm assuming here that the Silmarillion would be too incoherent to film properly. God only knows what rubbish Jackson would come up with if let loose on that particular book of mythos.

Oh, while I remember, can somebody tell me how the frick did sandworms make their way from Arrakis to Middle Earth? And why?

I'm sure Jackson will find one of Tolkien's grocery lists lying around somewhere and make a new trilogy out of it.

Watched Lego The Movie just now, and it was mostly alright initially I thought - the action scenes did have the problem most animated movies these days seem to have (and even some non-animated too for that matter), in that all the action is so ridiculously fast that it's hard to make out just what is going on. It made the experience noticeably less enjoyable, I thought. Are kids really so hyped up on sugar and ritalin that action sequences need to run at lightning speed or else they get bored...? *shrug*

Then you discover the movie's "meta", and - ahem - all the pieces fall into place so to speak. It's really clever I have to say, and quite cute, and a bit emotional too, for me at least. :) I even managed to like Will Ferrell playing a role in a movie, and that's fucking saying something. :LOL:

Still, it's not quite enough to elevate the movie up to the true greats of computer animated flicks like Shrek and The Incredibles and a handful of others, but it is quite good anyway. I'd say, 7/10 maybe?

Is this actually true? If so, then I might actually consider watching this movie. Won't buy any of the guy's books tho.

According to the Wrap, insiders have suggested that Card's deal with producers does not include "backend", ie, a percentage of the money taken at the box-office. Card, however, has still apparently banked a $1.5m fee, paid to him when the book was optioned in 1996.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ard-enders-game-profit-harrison-ford-anti-gay

I hate the idea of posting rationalizations but I look at it as a matter of considering "the remove". How removed is this work from Orson Scott Card, the polemicist? And then there's the historical remove. While it's still painful to watch the racism/politics embedded in "A Birth of a Nation", it's an important piece of film making. Long story short, SF is built on the shoulders of giants, who like everyone else have/had feet of clay. I guess if you see this film in that light, as building on the worthy aspects of a popular story, then it's enjoyable.

Thought experiment: If you found a manuscript from a very famous, but morally dubious writer, who's been dead a hundred years, would you be ok with letting it loose on the world even though it's tinged with every objectionable attitude you can think of? Sexism, a caricature of a gay character, colonialism, "light racism", glorifying violence and militarism. But other than that it's a hell of a yarn! :)

Some studio wants to buy it from you and they assure they'll work around all the nasty stuff. There will be good, and strong, women, gay, and native, characters. They'll just keep the thrilling plot, the swashbuckle, the dialog, and the settings. They're banking on the authors fame and finding his lost manuscript.

You see their script and it looks great. Do you let the world have it? Do you burn the original or give it to a museum? Do you publish it?

Is any of that relevant to this topic as Orson Scott Card is alive and well and getting publicity from this movie? But is even that, ironically, "a good thing" as it gets all the controversy around his thinking out there?

As I wrap this up I have to wonder, the movie belonged to the producers, without looking heavy handed couldn't they have tossed in a nod to the controversy by having a minor character that goes against Card's way of looking at gays? I'm assuming such isn't there. Been a long time sine I read the book. But if this movie is seen by Card as representative of his world view, and if it contains the icky parts of that world view, then I can see giving it a pass.

All of this could have been thoroughly discussed by the producers. But then again, maybe it's up to the audience to make their own informed choice, and to not have the ramifications of appreciating any controversial work of art spoon fed to them. Maybe there's a utility to not always drawing lines that separate us into factions of those who are acceptable, and those who aren't.

Maybe it's a victory to tolerate, or even be accepting of, this work by Orson Scott Card. ;)

Last edited:
Regarding artists and their work.

I would not watch any film by or with Roman Polanski (who was sentenced for analy raping a 13 year old girl and then ran from his punishment) but I might see his works when he is dead. I also think quite a bit less of people who choose to work with him.

As for Orson Scott Card, he has not done anything illegal so that is different. You have the right to be an asshole and think certain groups should be denied benefits other groups have. I still think his views are a negative aspects of his works and makes me less inclined to read his books and watch any movies derived from them. But I wouldn't hold it aganst other people if they want to do that.

Thought experiment: If you found a manuscript from a very famous, but morally dubious writer, who's been dead a hundred years, would you be ok with letting it loose on the world even though it's tinged with every objectionable attitude you can think of? Sexism, a caricature of a gay character, colonialism, "light racism", glorifying violence and militarism. But other than that it's a hell of a yarn! :)

I think this movie is different because OSC directly benefit financially from it. A dead writer would not do that.

Hey give me a break, I knew he was a rapist but didn't know the sordid details :)
First time I watched The Ninth Gate, I didn't know he was a rapist or indeed that he was the one who'd directed the movie in the first place. I just thought it was one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen. It wasn't until after I had already bought the DVD that I learned more about him and his personal history.

@I.S.T. I've been wanting to do a Scream marathon for a while now but not gotten around to it. This seems as good an excuse as any to actually go through with it... I assume the series is available on Netflix; usually whenever I try looking something up on that worthless service I'm wrong, but one can always hope?

Thanks for letting us know.

Back