Movie Reviews 2.0

Photons, which have no rest mass, move at c should have no concept of time. The instant of their creation and instant they collide with something else is the same. The distance we would perceive they crossed would be meaningless to them.

For everything else with rest mass, reaching this level of time dilation and length contraction would cause the time elapsed and the distance to go to zero. This means the trip ended when it began and the distance from the observer and vast stretches of the universe is nothing.
Since items with rest mass gain mass when approaching c, and would need infinite energy and gain infinite mass, this is impossible.

However, if it were possible, and an observer gained the infinite mass, I suppose becoming a black hole of infinite gravitational potential and limitless attractive range would mean all things in one's infinite gravity well would also move to make their distances to the center zero as well, thus the problem of reconciling distance below and at the limit would be universally self-correcting.

This is so trippy. Lol. I barely understand this stuff. All I've come to realize is: Not like Star Trek at all.

But I am getting the never going faster than light bit or obtaining c as a velocity. I was a bit thrown off in Interstellar about how they would land on a planet and every hour would equate to 10 years time dilation.

Relativity includes the phenomenon of gravitational time dilation.
The spaceship example relies more on a form of time dilation caused by a ship's acceleration to extreme velocities.
Extreme gravity has increasingly extreme effects.

This happens to a very fine degree with satellites and atomic clocks today.

If you could go at the speed of light, from your point of view it would be instantaneous.
No, if we could supposedly travel at (or very close to) the speed of light, it would take a yeah for us to travel a light year. But that year would be much, much longer to everyone else here on earth.
Surely.
Right?

No, if we could supposedly travel at (or very close to) the speed of light, it would take a yeah for us to travel a light year. But that year would be much, much longer to everyone else here on earth.
Surely.
Right?

If that were the case then you would have traveled further than a light year. If you're travelling at 99.9999999999999% the speed of light and from your point of view have been travelling for a year than naturally more time has passed on Earth (lets say 5000 years) and thus from the Earth observers point of view you would have traveled almost 5000 light years. So both from your point of view, and the point of view of the observer on Earth, you have reached the Boomerang Nebula (5000 light years away as measured from Earth), but how is that possible if from your point of view you have only been travelling for 1 year if it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light (and your instruments confirm you never went faster than 99.9999999999999% c). Naturally the only way this is possible is if the distance between Earth and the Boomerang Nebula shrunk to about 1 light year.

I guess the interesting conclusion of that is that it is indeed possible to travel to the other side of the universe within a single persons life time from their point of view (assuming you had the technology to get you that close to the speed of light) but you'd witness the universe evolving at a crazy rate around you as you did (and watch Earth get swallowed up by the sun within the first few years of the journey)

This is so trippy. Lol. I barely understand this stuff. All I've come to realize is: Not like Star Trek at all.

Actually Star Trek deals with it quite well. Sublight speed (Impulse Power) is only 0.25c specifically to avoid time dilation effects (and probably the energy requirements of moving the more massive ship). While at Warp speed I believe they are actually stationary from their point of view and it's the subspace bubble that is created around the ship which moves faster than light, thus avoiding the awkward time dilation effects. Obviously subspace is a fabrication to allow this but they do at least address the issue of time dilation.

Actually Star Trek deals with it quite well. Sublight speed (Impulse Power) is only 0.25c specifically to avoid time dilation effects (and probably the energy requirements of moving the more massive ship). While at Warp speed I believe they are actually stationary from their point of view and it's the subspace bubble that is created around the ship which moves faster than light, thus avoiding the awkward time dilation effects. Obviously subspace is a fabrication to allow this but they do at least address the issue of time dilation.
Oh! Is that how hey get around it. IIRC Warp 1 was c, and only at warp 10 do they obtain "instantaneous travel". But that means they are travelling at Time WRT Earth time. Hmm interesting. So it would take a very long time to travel galaxies. Which voyager goes through. Hmm. Thanks this actually makes more sense now (for the show).

IIRC Voyager went through a worm hole. And in the Trek Universe there might be a form of travel that is faster than Warp speed but not like a wormhole.

There is transwarp for example as used by certain aliens like the Borg (and strangely, dinosaurs, from Earth lol), but some other alien-of-the-week episodes have introduced other concepts too, such as The Traveller, "soliton waves" IIRC, and...well...Q. :p

The game Independance War Deals with travel in a similar manner and afaik is the only game that lets you fly at 99.9 C. you cant travel to and from lagrange points faster than light by entering capsule space

IIRC Voyager went through a worm hole. And in the Trek Universe there might be a form of travel that is faster than Warp speed but not like a wormhole.

It was never really explained how Voyager got to the Delta quadrant as far as I'm aware, just that they were "brought there" but I don't think it was via a wormhole.

There is transwarp for example as used by certain aliens like the Borg (and strangely, dinosaurs, from Earth lol), but some other alien-of-the-week episodes have introduced other concepts too, such as The Traveller, "soliton waves" IIRC, and...well...Q. :p

And Quantum slipstream, folded space, subspace catapult, Kes magic, they sure had their fair share of faster than Warp ways to travel.

It was never really explained how Voyager got to the Delta quadrant as far as I'm aware
The exact process may not have been explained, but it's certainly known who brought them there; the "Caretaker" alien. There was no chance for Voyager to stay around and investigate due to generally hostile conditions at the site, and nothing really to investigate either for that matter, as Janeway blew up the Caretaker's ship at the end of the pilot episode... :p

Janeway. Maybe my favorite Captain of the lot when it all comes down to it.

So since we're talking about movies that are often disliked, I like Robocop 2014 a lot and Terminator: Genisys as well(Despite the idiotic name).

I'm kinda stunned that anyone liked Robo-Remake; personally I thought it was shockingly bad... :p Any particular reason you liked it?

I thought Genisys was pretty great tho. Not sure why so many people seem so down on it. Sure, the story is a little messy (I wouldn't expect a 12y/o to be able to follow it, heh), but it's a cool movie, and we have a fantastic action heroine in it too. This isn't seen very often! Too bad they didn't make digital lookalikes of Bill Paxton and his punk crew when 1984-era Arnold shows up, but I guess you can't have everything (budgetary reasons probably, tsk tsk...)

In Star Trek, the Warp Bubble contracts space 'infront' of the ship and expands it back behind the ship again. Thus, flying with normal speed through contracted space, gives you a higher speed and is basically the only way to go higher than c (c is a natural upper bound of speed as you would need infinite energy to accelerate more, as mass increases to infinity at lightspeed).

The warp speeds are highly exponential, with Warp 1 being c and Warp 10 is basically not reachable and instantenous (space is contracted to zero). In one Star Trek movie they used the sun to accelerate to 10 and travelled back in time :oops:

Fun fact: the Warp Drive exists and is really an existing solution to Einstein's field equations of general relativity.

Alcubierre was the first who published a paper on this matter. Here is a wiki summary: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive with references.

The only 'small' problem is that you need to contract the space. For this you need exotic matter (dark energy) or something like this, and according to the estimates of Alcubierre in his original publication, you need more Exotic matter mass, than the total known mass in the universe for this warp drive :)

(This is were the Star Trek dilithium crystals come in handy!).

In meantime, there is at least another publication on this subject which modifies the warp drive such that the requirement on exotic matter mass decreased by several orders of magnitude (still being out of reach of course :)

If you google Alcubierre Warp Drive you find lot's of discussion on it...its funny :)

Here the original article of ol' Miguel Alcubierre:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0009013

Last edited:
I watched Ant Man the other day and really enjoyed it. Some decent humour in there and I thought it better than most of the reviews it has received here in the UK.

Currently waiting in the cinema for Inside Out to start so I'm hoping it lives up to the hype!

I can't wait for Inside Out. Everyone is saying it's a new Pixar classic - finally - and we all know what that means.

Sorry to differ, but I wasn't particularly impressed by Inside Out and it's not just me as the wife thought the same!

Nice concept, decent execution (as you'd expect from Pixar) but not a patch on any of the 'classics' in our opinions!

Back