Movie Reviews 2.0

I'm going to watch Avatar tonight. Want to know why? Because it's amazing. If you don't like it, I fear you don't have working eyes and you've lost your imagination.

At 90% of the speed of light, for each day, two and a quarter days pass on earth
At 99% its 7.09 days
That's what I was getting at. The effect is scales exponentially, e.g. going from 98 to 99%c is much worse than going from 48 to 49%c. Going 75-80%c isn't a huge deal in terms of time dilation (60% dilation at .8c) but is still uber fast. This is an often misunderstood concept in scifi and the equation is quite simple.

However traveling at something like 0.5c is very dangerous as even a small space dust could destroy the spaceship.
At higher speed blueshift will become a serious problem as most light starting to look like gamma rays.
Most of the time that they are moving near c would be spent between solar systems where the odds of hitting even something tiny are extremely low. Once they reach the destination solar system they should be travelling well below c. I'm not saying it isn't a concern, but I don't think it's a very big concern.

At higher speed blueshift will become a serious problem as most light starting to look like gamma rays.
I believe it was explained in the background material/Avatar Wiki (not in the movie itself) that the ship we see in the introduction is actually mostly made of synthetics to avoid secondary radiation caused by high-energy rays hitting solid objects (metals being denser than most other matter, so reducing them would thus reduce this problem)... Interesting idea. The engines for example is at the front of the craft (not the rear, as with a traditional rocket), with the rest of the vehicle hanging in tension from a carbon nanofiber truss-like stress structure.

[EDIT] However you don't really need to be in hibernation or something if you travel near speed of light... time dilation will make it looks like a very short time.
It would reduce the need for consumables if passengers are kept in suspended animation. Less air, water, certainly less food needed! :D And cost considerations seem to be a thread running through all of Avatar's human civilization (much like it is today I might add.)

Doesn't mass increase with speed?
Yes, which is why it's so dangerous to collide with basically anything. Even single atoms become basically like pistol bullets at very high fractions of C IIRC.

You would weigh more than Jared before Subway!
There's no substance to any of the "food" sold at Subway. I've heard it said that Subway's business model is selling air that smells like food, and from my own two lone experiences, that is certainly true. I don't understand why people go to eat there, it's a massive con really.

Not that this has anything to do with this thread! Lol, sorry. :D

I regret ever taking a contrary position to Avatar. Just look at what has happened to this thread! :D

I just finished watching Interstellar. Wow don't watch that movie if you hope to fall asleep and go to work the next day. I've never been through such a tension built movie in a long time since Requiem of a dream. Movie is good, the science seems to work out mostly, sorta, some parts break down. But it's quite an movie actually, as a father it got to me emotionally, and I think knowing that, their world could be our world one day is saddening.

The only reason why Interstellar isn't a good fit for a bedtime movie is the obnoxiously loud Hans Zimmer OST. I felt every last minute of that 3 hour monstrosity. When Catwoman and Magic Mike's buddie returned from their surface expedition, I felt a bit like the poor black guy they'd left behind in the shuttle.

That's what I was getting at. The effect is scales exponentially, e.g. going from 98 to 99%c is much worse than going from 48 to 49%c. Going 75-80%c isn't a huge deal in terms of time dilation (60% dilation at .8c) but is still uber fast. This is an often misunderstood concept in scifi and the equation is quite simple.
And just to make the point even more dramatic :
At 99.9999999999999% of the speed of light in one day on the ship 61286 years would pass on earth

But you certainly have to account for the change in distance if you're travelling close to the speed of light. I.e. if you're travelling fast enough then from your perspective, distances shrink. A light year can become a kilometre at the right speed.

But you certainly have to account for the change in distance if you're travelling close to the speed of light. I.e. if you're travelling fast enough then from your perspective, distances shrink. A light year can become a kilometre at the right speed.
So... if I understand this correctly.
1 light year - is the distance light can travel in 1 year (365 days).
But if i moved at the speed of light, time dilation should occur, so I will travel 1 light year in 365 (days) to an observer, but the effects to me is that it should be notably less than 365 days?

Back