Moore: Xbox 360 HD-DVD for movies only and there will be no internal drive.

Key word "planned". I doubt they'd admit to a 3rd sku and effect the sales of the units they have out there now. But anyway, this should probably go in one of the 3 other thread about this ;)

Yea, they "planned" things in the past but went differently afterwards. MS "planned" that no hd-dvd shall be used with 360. But transition must be slow, movies first, otherwise consumers could think that MS is coercing them to put more money on the table. I think GoW and Halo3 will be hd-dvd games.

Lysander said:
Yea, they "planned" things in the past but went differently afterwards. MS "planned" that no hd-dvd shall be used with 360. But transition must be slow, movies first, otherwise consumers could think that MS is coercing them to put more money on the table. I think GoW and Halo3 will be hd-dvd games.

If i understand well, that's because MS say there will be no HD DVD games that you think there will be HD DVD games ?

hd-dvd is a part of Vista now, you think HP and intel gave approval for movies. It is MS plan to cover all data storage mediums: hard-drives, high-speed internet, high data capacity dvds. hd-dvd will be used for computer data storage on pc when vista will come out, and then 360 shall use that as well. (btw, I think MS did excellent move :p )

Lysander said:

OK let me get this straight if you were one of the millions who got a 360 prior to them putting an internal HD-DVD drive to play videos and GAMES then you're basically screwed if you wanted to play HD-DVD games, unless you wanted to ditch the old 360 and get a new one. Or the publishers could come out with a DVD format game and an HD-DVD game. Umm....This makes no sense to me. I won't hold my breath waiting to see any HD-DVD games for the 360. It doesn't mean much to me anyway what format a game is on as long as its good.

There won't be any HD-DVD 360 games. It's just illogical. On the flipside, I don't expect many BR games for the PS3 either. Maybe none, maybe a handful.

They were also going to wait until the next-gen format winner had been decided. I wouldn't guess either way right now.

Bigus Dickus said:
There won't be any HD-DVD 360 games. It's just illogical. On the flipside, I don't expect many BR games for the PS3 either. Maybe none, maybe a handful.
Yeah, wtf at the bolded?
I'd wager top dollar that you're wrong on both counts.

I'd wager top dollar that you're wrong on both counts.

Why are you focusing on a portion of that sentance he wrote? He also stated "maybe a handfull" in the same sentance. I agree with him, I don't expect many games on PS3 to come on Blueray due to the added cost likely passed onto publishers, when probably 95% of the games released wouldn't fill a DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:
dizzyd said:
OK let me get this straight if you were one of the millions who got a 360 prior to them putting an internal HD-DVD drive to play videos and GAMES then you're basically screwed if you wanted to play HD-DVD games, unless you wanted to ditch the old 360 and get a new one.
buy add-on ;)

I think developers will determine the size which they need; if 7 gigs is enough for them or if MS compression software can squeeze 14 gigs or so then this is OK, but if devs will need more ...well then hd-dvd will be good option to use.

Qroach said:
Why are you focusing on a portion of that sentance he wrote? He also stated "maybe a handfull" in the same sentance. I agree with him, I don't expect many games on PS3 to come on Blueray due to the added cost likely passed onto publishers, when probably 95% of the games released wouldn't fill a DVD.
Both counts, meaning more than a handful as well. Added cost will be a pittance (if BDA is to be believed). Multi-platform will be generally DVD-only (not all though), PS3-exclusive will be Blu-ray mostly, is my guess.

At the least you know most of Sonys will be Blu-ray, and they're far more than a handful on their own.

IMO, of course.

Qroach said:

I think we both know that at least Sony's titles will be on Bluray, whether it's actually needed or not, just because that way they can brag about how Bluray is "needed" to get the best games and all that PR crap we get every day... So yes, i think that much more than a handful of games will come out on Bluray.

The real question is, do more than a handful of games actually NEED Bluray? ;)

Have a look at the UE3 content guidelines on their technology site, and it becomes apparent that many titles next gen may well exceed the capacity of a single DVD (given how many games are using UE3).

Titanio said:
Have a look at the UE3 content guidelines on their technology site, and it becomes apparent that many titles next gen may well exceed the capacity of a single DVD (given how many games are using UE3).

Given the fact that most game publishers still use CDs as their primary medium, I really really really doubt you will see any blue-ray titles for a "while".

I remember a post in the Seriously forums asking the developers and publishers why Serious Sam 2 DVD version was pulled and not sold in the states. And they said more or less because they still get many returns from people that buy the DVD versions even though their PC only had a CD-Rom and thus it was not cost effective from them to deal with all those returns. Sad isn't it?

Lysander said:
buy add-on ;)

I think developers will determine the size which they need; if 7 gigs is enough for them or if MS compression software can squeeze 14 gigs or so then this is OK, but if devs will need more ...well then hd-dvd will be good option to use.

They won't use HD-DVD because it will be slower than DVD for loading and seek times. So I doubt it. Games will come out on multiple DVDs. And publishers are not going to release games on an unproven user base (HD-DVD add-on).

Hardknock said:
They won't use HD-DVD because it will be slower than DVD for loading and seek times. So I doubt it. Games will come out on multiple DVDs. And publishers are not going to release games on an unproven user base (HD-DVD add-on).
...a reason while pales in comparison to the "being only in a small fraction of the installed base." ;)

jb said:
Given the fact that most game publishers still use CDs as their primary medium, I really really really doubt you will see any blue-ray titles for a "while".

I remember a post in the Seriously forums asking the developers and publishers why Serious Sam 2 DVD version was pulled and not sold in the states. And they said more or less because they still get many returns from people that buy the DVD versions even though their PC only had a CD-Rom and thus it was not cost effective from them to deal with all those returns. Sad isn't it?

PC market is a bit different, as they can easily use multiple CDs and compress the hell out of them since it ends up installed on an HDD. Outside of gamecube (which uses those mini disc things) I haven't seen a non DVD game on a console since 2001.

On another note, I have a game installed on my comp that uses 11.4gb installed (and it's only a beta). Big games are coming.

If Peter Moore said so, then it's true. C'mon guys. If Kaz Hirai said something about the PS3, would you guys be questioning him?

Let's be fair here, MS says it will be just for movies and so it will be just for movies. End of story.

london-boy said:
I think we both know that at least Sony's titles will be on Bluray, whether it's actually needed or not, just because that way they can brag about how Bluray is "needed" to get the best games and all that PR crap we get every day... So yes, i think that much more than a handful of games will come out on Bluray.

The real question is, do more than a handful of games actually NEED Bluray? ;)
OK, I concede that point. I certainly don't think it is a given that Sony will release all or most of its games on BRD, but it wouldn't surprise me either for the pure PR value of it. If I had to bet, I'd bet that even Sony releases most of their games on DVD, but I wouldn't bet much. ;)

Perhaps the essence of my belief is that only a handful of games, at best, will need BRD (or HD-DVD).

I don't see why MS would really want to put a drive in their console -- the external drive I can understand. Adding the format as a standard in the console does nothing to further the actual intent of the console. It adds cost with no real benefit to MS (or the consumer really, as everyone knows BR is the real format ;)). The only reason we see Sony doing it is because they have a vested interest in it and can eat such a cost because they have a lot to gain from it... MS' move is a PR check mark next to the competition's specs -- 'me too!'.

Back