Monitor static ticking on Mitsu 22" 2070

Ruined

Regular
Got a Mitsu 22" 2070SB, works great except that it makes a ticking noise (like static) every 5 minutes or so. Sent it into Mitsubishi for repair, got it back (I believe this might even be a different monitor) and it does the same thing. No picture artifacts, problems, etc, just a ticking noise that sounds like static discharge every 4-5 minutes.

Couple of points:
A) I have read accounts of monitors dying because of this, but most are accompanied with picture distortions, which I don't have.

B) The other two monitors in the house make similar but more pronounced occasional static discharge noises (2-4 a day) when loading up all white background pages, but not on a regular basis like the 22" (100+ a day if on all day)

C) Did not have a similar problem with Mitsu 19" monitor... Could the larger size of the monitor be a factor?

D) The monitor functions perfectly in all aspects except for the noise.

E) When its all said and done, I'm tired of RMAing (my first 19" had two dead phosphors, they replaced with a 22" (yay) that had the ticking noise, sent it in for repair and it still has the ticking noise). I just want to use my damn monitor. Plus I got a 22" monitor for essentially half price. Is there any reasonable explanation for the noise other than the monitor is dying?

I'd expect a modern monitor to be robust enough some of the random things that occur to me. Some that it might not...

Maybe your particular video card having issues with maintaining stable sync signal, and the monitor starting to initiate a re-sync? This would probably result in some image distortion, though.

Since other monitors are doing it, could it be you have a source of interference nearby? Radar (airport, military base...)? Radio station?

Bad power in your house? A UPS should correct the problem if this was the case, and this should be precluded if you are already using one. Doesn't seem likely...your computer should draw more power, and exhibit problems with instability and HD access/corruption, if this were the case. Hmmm...are the computer and monitor on the same circuit?

That's all that pops into my head right now.

demalion said:
I'd expect a modern monitor to be robust enough some of the random things that occur to me. Some that it might not...

Maybe your particular video card having issues with maintaining stable sync signal, and the monitor starting to initiate a re-sync? This would probably result in some image distortion, though.

I'm going to try again with another computer that doesn't have an Nvidia card.

Since other monitors are doing it, could it be you have a source of interference nearby? Radar (airport, military base...)? Radio station?

Not that I know of, but I am sure that every monitor in the house seems to make static discharge noises when refreshing all-white pages (i.e. google search), maybe 5-10% of the time. Much less than this Mitsu, but then again they are all 17" or smaller. Perhaps the larger size is more power sensitive?

Bad power in your house? A UPS should correct the problem if this was the case, and this should be precluded if you are already using one. Doesn't seem likely...your computer should draw more power, and exhibit problems with instability and HD access/corruption, if this were the case. Hmmm...are the computer and monitor on the same circuit?

Well, in the past year we did have one computer's hard drive get corrupted, and I did have a strange problem with the IE cache getting corrupted on this computer. But I am using a Panamax surge supressor/line conditioner; wouldn't that clean up most of the 'dirty' power. From what I gather, a UPS you are talking about (one that runs the computer pure sine off the battery all the time) would run $400+ for the power size my computer would need, and I realize that would truly be a more stable source than a line conditioner, but do you think its worth investing $400+ on one?

Heh, not especially worth it, IMO. It would seem to remove the power problems as a concern completely, but that doesn't seem likely enough to warrant $400.

However, your HD errors and the behavior of other monitors does seem to make some sense with power spikes, which your computer PSUs might just handle better than your monitor, so it doesn't seem completely ruled out.

Just something to keep in mind, I guess.

After losing a harddrive with two weeks work on it to a power spike, a UPS seems a very good idea :).

Personally I'm a huge fan of them. Saved my arse on several occasions. But I use mine for work.

As regards static discharge, is it better on humid days? If the humidity gets up high it's very hard to build up much static. (To illustrate the point, the microprocessor lab in the Physics department at UMIST never bothered with antistatic protection, because Manchester is so bloody wet it isn't conducive to static).

OK, I have tried the following:

A) Getting the 2070SB monitor repaired. Repair says it was fine.
B) Getting a brand new replacement 2070SB. Had identical problem.
C) Trying monitor on different computer in the house with different video card (laptop). Had identical problem.
D) Tried switching monitor and power cables.
E) Tried switching from surge protector/line conditioner to direct outlet

All with no success, the ticking remains in all cases. And, by sending one monitor to repair and getting a brand new one with identical problem, I am convinced there is something with the design of the 2070sb and my house that do not mix.

Things I haven't tried:
A) Investing in a $500 UPS that does double conversion and pure sine (But the question is, is this worth it when if this ticking bothers me I could sell the CRT and buy a LCD nearly as big).
B) Running an extension cable to a different outlet
C) Taking the monitor to a friends house (not going to happen likely, and wouldn't really prove anything anyway)

Any more ideas?

Back