My faithful 22" monitor died the final death..

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
..and I'm typing this out on my wife's 37" TV at 1920x1080 about 6" away from my face and my eyeballs is BURNING! :(

I desperately need a new monitor, but as I don't often get one I want to make sure I get the best I can for my budget...but I'm pretty f-ing clueless about what to look for in monitors anymore 'cept for resolution/refresh/input/stand options. This whole "backlit LED" or not thing has got me all confuzled.

Help, please?

I'm looking for something a bit bigger than my old 22", a 23-24". (I know, not that much bigger...just want it the same size as my wife's. :p ) 1920x1080 is probably the res I'll go for, (my last was 1680x1050), and I'd like to keep it as close to $100 as possible. (I know, but I can dream!)

Last night I found this Acer over at Newegg for $117 shipped after coupon, but it's a 1/2" smaller than my last monitor and I'm afraid it'd make the inner geek in me die a little to go backwards like that....

I am befuddled, any input would be helpful. Oh, and miss me or miss me lots? :LOL:

Just took apart my SyncMaster 220wm and found the two bad caps on the power board. :(

I don't think I'm good enough to replace 'em, but I might try.....

Make sure you keep a fire extinguisher handy when turning on the power again if you change out any components by yourself... ;)

Monitors in the $100 range still use very low fidelity TN LCD panels. However these days if you go up to maybe somewhere between $200-250 or so you can get an IPS panel instead with far superior color, contrast and viewing angles. There are also some Korean 27" IPS panels @ 2560*1440 rez that are VERY cheap that can be bought off of Ebay and such places. Worth taking a look for methinks!

ASUS is also bringing out a PLS panel monitor (rougly IPS-level quality) that is supposedly fairly cheap. It will be available in two sizes around 22-24 and 27 inches I believe.

There are also some Korean 27" IPS panels @ 2560*1440 rez that are VERY cheap that can be bought off of Ebay and such places. Worth taking a look for methinks!

+1 .. heard some retail stores in the US have begun to stock them as well.

Be careful that those IPS tvs aren't too laggy ... I bought my wife a new screen the other day because her old one only had a VGA input. It's a 22"(21.5") 1920x1080 and it compared rather well with the IPS screens that were on display to be honest. Also, at 1920x1080, for normal use I don't think I'd want much bigger, so the increased resolution of the IPS below is appealing, but then you don't want to use that for gaming too much perhaps, depending on how heavy your GPU is (mine isn't that heavy).

But for gaming also on your desk, I'm actually quite happy with the 27" TV (with passive 3D) I've got as a second screen on my desk right now. Wouldn't mind trading my own older Samsung 22" (1680x1050) for the new monitor I bought for my wife though ;) ...

Some of those Korean IPS monitors can be "overclocked" to 120Hz, and from what I've seen written about them people aren't complaining about laggyness. What I've seen all looks to be extremely high value for money, and LED-lit 27" WQHD IPS for like $300, maybe less I dunno... Near unthinkable even just a year ago when ALL such screens were a thousand bucks or more.

I can't afford to spend $300 on one right now, I just can't! Maybe $150, but that would be pushing it. :(

Thanks for all the info though, very helpful. Much appreciated. I should try and find a cheap IPS panel one. :)

My wife got this one:

http://www.paradigit.nl/paradigit/p...e_226v3lsb5_vga_dvi/226v3lsb5_00/default.aspx

Probably cheaper in USD, if they sell them there (apparently not on amazon). IPS panels did not look better to me personally, and I don't really find anything about the cheaper IPS panels spec wise telling me they are better. Maybe down the line, when resolutions go up, and they get full range color?

Built in speakers can be really nice though, the Philips doesn't have those.

Benq monitors are super cheaply made. Last one I had used tape instead of screws to hold its innards together, and its casing was like a plastic clamshell snapped together using clips. Forget trying to fix it without breaking it when trying to open it. Also, I don't believe the claim of 4ms response time is worth the ink it's written in - and it's not written in ink, so... ;)

I got nothing against BenQ, had a nice 19" 5x4 that lasted a long and happy time, but I can't see shelling out any money for a monitor without an HDMI input now a days. :(

Besides, I just order two new capacitors and pulled the old ones from my monitor successful...I'm just gonna fix it. I mean, how hard could it be?

If you can fix it, that's almost always better (also for the environment for instance).

It's not for the environment, I'm doing it for the e-peni pride. :cool:

Well, that and I'm really cheap... :oops:

Just to give you some extra faith, my 52'' Sammy TV died on the same disease - capacitors! After replacing them with some better quality ones all is well! :smile:

BTW even long after warranty period expired (2.5 years) Samsung service did it free of charge as it was deemed manufacturer fault ...

Thanks, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous...but it's that "not sure if you're excited or scared" kind of nervous, kind of like I felt when I built my first PC.

I'm only afraid of failure I think, I really like the idea of being able to fix it. I like my monitor, it suits me and my desk setup perfectly. Just still got that "BIG FEAR" thing crawling up my spine at times about putting the monitor back together after fixing it, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I come to it.

Here's a tip for you when looking at fixing it yourself: unplug the power first.

I'm an expert you see :yep2:

Back