New pc keeps on hard freezing, dont know why

Don't know, I turned HA off after that almost crash last night which was right before I went to bed. I'll be home in two hours or so and I will have the next 4 days off. If Firefox HA is the problem then we will know in ~2 days :)

i hope it works fine now. if its still crasing,

try opening the side-case and blowing table fan. If PC works fine, something wrong with the hardware or cooling.

btw its also possible that its the HDD.
My PC was acting like that a few days/weeks after a lightning struct it. Replaced the HDD, works fine.

Then its all happen again so suddenly.
Manually lowering the max cpu clock fix it.

Thanks, some comments there seem to describe my problem.

I've been running with HA off for the past couple of days, reinstalled flash as well. No problems at all for a couple of days until a couple of hours ago. The nvidia driver crashed again. This time the system didn't freeze though I rebooted quickly so it might have crashed anyway and the mouse icons didn't recover properly.

The only change I made to my system a couple of hours before the problem popped up again is removing some windows features like tablet components, games, dvd maker and media center. I don't see how those can have anything to do with the driver crashing but that's the only thing I changed and afterwards the problem reappeared. But when I did have them installed the driver was crashing as well until I turned HA off.

The only other thing that might be related is that I switch between my monitor and tv quite a lot but I didn't really do so for the past couple of days but today I did a couple of times.

Try the easiest one then. Take out a stick of RAM and see how it goes. If it still crashes take out the other one.

I'm currently having a crash I didn't have before changing memory, and the memory is passing memtest and linx with flying colours. I know it has to be the memory but I'm too lazy to change it back (I also get very infrequent hangs, perhaps once every few days).

Out of all the PC's I've built, I'd say 80-90% of the faults were memory related.

I love you Tongue, but someone has to say it....just give up and get yourself a reliable AMD card!

behindsofa.gif

I nearly threw my PC out of the window or wanted to stomp ut, kick it and set it on fire etc. because it had totally dropped dead without a reason.

The reset button had got stucked.

I once dropped a cup of tea on my power button, but it was fine.

Then suddenly one night, my pc turned itself on, then off, then on again. I thought that was weird obviously, but I switched it off using the power button, went back to bed...and it switched itself back on a few minutes later.

I was freaking out wondering wtf was going on. I remember pulling the plug out the wall praying it didn't switch on again :p

So colicab, did you try taking out some RAM and if so what's the result?

Re-energised by this topic, I switched my old RAM back in 4 days ago and haven't had a single lockup/crash or anything since. It's gonna be a pain in the ass RMA'ing this faulty stick that still passes memtest.

I once replaced a motherboard, ram, CPU, and power supply because the 12V 20 pin somehow got a little loose. I discovered my oversight when the new parts arrived but that was a Celeron 333 =>Athlon 1333 and there was no going back. Man that was an amazing upgrade.

I decided to try my "dead" 1TB hard drive, which I had almost sent to RMA but time was short and the packing procedure was annoying ("get the right kind of thick enough foam and pack it that way else we refuse it").

When it died it was in my "NAS" (a cube form low end PC I've never used since), it had a partial failure I thought as it did tons of errors but still managed to boot sometimes, then crapped itself if you asked too much like read my data.

Shockingly, plugged into my desktop PC all the data was readable (movies, music - which had been backed up - and random crap). It even worked flawlessly when swapping on it! and now still sits in my desktop.
So whatever was wrong in the NAS, at worst the SATA controller, or the ddr2, or based on my experience it might be just the data cable (SATA here). I remember saving a PC by replacing the IDE ribbon.

I love you Tongue, but someone has to say it....just give up and get yourself a reliable AMD card!

behindsofa.gif

Haha is still have good memories of that x1600 you sent me. I remember opening the box and thinking hey, whats this smell? turns out you sent it over in a box of dog biscuits :LOL: Though the fan on that card ended up dying ;)

This is the first nvidia card I bought since a geforce 4 mx about 10 years ago. Actually, before buying this card I bought a 6870 (I think) but that card had bad memory and I made a deal with the computer store I worked at to replace this 6870 with the 560 ti for only 20 bucks more while I think at the time it was almost a 100 euros more expensive. So it was a pretty good deal.

So colicab, did you try taking out some RAM and if so what's the result?

Re-energised by this topic, I switched my old RAM back in 4 days ago and haven't had a single lockup/crash or anything since. It's gonna be a pain in the ass RMA'ing this faulty stick that still passes memtest.

Nope I didn't take out anything. I didn't have any crashes (apart from that one semi crash) after turning off HA in firefox so I think that probably was the problem.

Flashed UEFI on my new mobo, maybe that'll straighten it out, I dunno yet. Hit a snag initially by the ASUS EZ flash thingy allowing browsing of NTFS devices but not actually flashing from them - bizarre! And the error message shown was not just unhelpful, but actually outright deceitful. "Not a UEFI bios file" it said, which totally threw me off, thinking the BIOS was damaged when it was just ASUS' dumb programming that was at fault. "EZ" flash, indeed! :rolleyes: Formatted an old USB flash stick to shitty old FAT and copied UEFI file there, and it worked fine.

Had to re-do all the tweaking of course - which considering the millions of settings is no small feat. UGH! Whunked RAM back up to 2400MHz - something which made it quite unstable previously, let's see if it's stabilized now. Running just one day without a bluescreen isn't much of a track record, my PC could work fine for a couple weeks with the original manufacturer's BIOS and RAM set at 1866MHz without any issue, then it could suddenly bluescreen thrice in a day or two. Completely unpredictable (which you just love, I know I do! ...Not. :))

Hit another snag from intel storage matrix whatsitsname throwing an error when booting back into widnwos - and the troubleshooter threw an "unknown" error too - awesome! :LOL: Maybe there's a well-hidden setting somewhere that I missed that's causing this. Like, UEFI not being enabled, but I looked and looked and couldn't find a setting to toggle it so I just assumed that it was on. *shrug*

Back