Microsoft Xbox Series X|S Storage Cards

Needs to be closer to half the prices.

The prices aren't bad relative to themselves, as far as retail consumer products go. You never get half the cost when cutting the size since there are some base cost items that don't scale down. They didn't just 2x the cost for the 2TB and land around $450. So that was a surprise there.

Though I wish they hit the following MSRP points:
  • 0.5 TB $110
  • 1.0 TB $180
  • 2.0 TB $360
I'll probably pick up a 2TB if I can get a 10% - 15% off discount. I could pass the 1TB onto my sister's kids once we can get a Series console for them.

These prices are terrible. This is the problem with proprietary things.

2TB costs dang near as much as the console!

I also wouldn't buy the 512 because you'll end up wanting more, and then you'll have an expensive extra thing, with only one expansion port. It's barely anything. A better value might be like a 2-4TB external HDD for like 50 dollars for now if you're just really crunched. Use that to transfer native games if needed it will be at least faster than downloading them every time.

I'll be hanging in with my 1TB internal for the forseeable future! It's fine TBH.

Using the store as cloud storage can also be a pretty good option. It takes me about an hour at ~200 mbps to DL a 90 GB game. I have a 400 connection though, so I guess MS servers are the bottleneck for me. A theoretical 1TB rate someday could DL that game in 20 minutes.

The prices aren't bad relative to themselves, as far as retail consumer products go. You never get half the cost when cutting the size since there are some base cost items that don't scale down. They didn't just 2x the cost for the 2TB and land around $450. So that was a surprise there.

Though I wish they hit the following MSRP points:
  • 0.5 TB $110
  • 1.0 TB $180
  • 2.0 TB $360
I'll probably pick up a 2TB if I can get a 10% - 15% off discount. I could pass the 1TB onto my sister's kids once we can get a Series console for them.
I mean all including 1TB RRP needs to be lot cheaper.
  • 0.5 TB $80
  • 1.0 TB $150
  • 2.0 TB $290
Even that is relatively expensive.

Was hoping that when these came out would be cut in price, as well as other manufacturers as it will be a year.

I'll just keep juggling between internal 300GB and 900GB external USB ssd. Some Xbox series games also runs just fine from external USB ssd.

Wait a sec. Writing this I realize that the external ssd I used was from my windows pc... Did I even backup it before I formatted it to Xbox storage? Yikes....

I spent only slightly less on a 2Tb WD SN850 for my PS5. I do expect the free market NVMe drive prices to drop quicker than Microsoft's officially-branded Xbox drives but perhaps somebody will build a basic adaptor negating the need for the officially-branded expansion cards.

I also wouldn't buy the 512 because you'll end up wanting more, and then you'll have an expensive extra thing, with only one expansion port. It's barely anything.
It's of much better value for the XSS where it more than doubles the available storage. I also wonder what resale value will be like? Upgrading shouldn't be too lossy on the first purchase, I'd hope.

I spent only slightly less on a 2Tb WD SN850 for my PS5.
You get a much faster drive for that though. Had MS gone the open standard route, a 2TB SSD of XSX target specs would be something like £200, about the RRP of the 1TB expansion.

I also wouldn't buy the 512 because you'll end up wanting more, and then you'll have an expensive extra thing, with only one expansion port. It's barely anything. A better value might be like a 2-4TB external HDD for like 50 dollars for now if you're just really crunched. Use that to transfer native games if needed it will be at least faster than downloading them every time.

I'll be hanging in with my 1TB internal for the forseeable future! It's fine TBH.

Using the store as cloud storage can also be a pretty good option. It takes me about an hour at ~200 mbps to DL a 90 GB game. I have a 400 connection though, so I guess MS servers are the bottleneck for me. A theoretical 1TB rate someday could DL that game in 20 minutes.

One expansion port for now. No reason why they can't release a hub add on for the port.

Also you can always use it for titles you don't play as often and might not want to redownload. Of course it can be used in your secondary console or other family member console.

But for more power users just wait and see if you can use other nvmes with the dongle hack.

with xcloud coming to consoles, seeing less of a need for storage unless you're hot swapping between consoles. 1TB should be sufficient if you stick to only installing games you're playing, Xcloud may be a decent transition solution for games you want to try but don't really care to install.

with xcloud coming to consoles, seeing less of a need for storage unless you're hot swapping between consoles. 1TB should be sufficient if you stick to only installing games you're playing, Xcloud may be a decent transition solution for games you want to try but don't really care to install.
How I use it for rewards.
Also play some games via it.
But then I'm far from even a casual gamer.

Still think storage needs to be much cheaper, even with console xcloud.
Right now I don't consider the cards as a reasonable option.

I think the 1TB at $187 is reasonable, if you can get it for that.

How I use it for rewards.
Also play some games via it.
But then I'm far from even a casual gamer.

Still think storage needs to be much cheaper, even with console xcloud.
Right now I don't consider the cards as a reasonable option.
It needs to be cheaper I agree. But I also don’t find it too valuable to have super faster storage unless you are hot swapping

I think the 1TB at $187 is reasonable, if you can get it for that.

Depends on where you go.

Costco has it for $250 with 3 months of game pass ultimate which is the best walk in anytime and buy time. I think its not a horrible price considering the normal cost of the drive.

But I see it go on sale very few months for under $200 and I think the lowest was $160 something

I'm disappointed MS didn't go with USB 4.0. That would make for external NVMe USB 4.0 devices a good option. Right now 1TB NVMe is around $100.

Microsoft could have included a USB 3 Gen 2x2 that would give it 20Gbps which would match its internal drive's 2.5GB/s (though I think it's much harder for USB3 to reach its theoretical bandwidth than it is for PCIe), but for a 2020 release they probably couldn't use USB4. That standard only released in mid 2019 and at that point it would be hard to include it in the console.

I guess they could implement an USB4 controller that muxes a 20Gbps Thunderbolt 3 bus into the external storage bus, and that could come in a Series X/S revision. But it might be too costly or too much of a hassle to deal with in the form of customer support.

It’s coming down. A long way to go. But it’s coming down.
The only thing I really like about this solution is that it lends well to very heavy shrinking of a hardware unit. Maybe as far as a handheld if we think about a surface.

I really hope they eventually do get to mobile handheld product, with ability to reuse these console storage cards too.

Canada Amazon and BestBuy has it sale too. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-card-for-xbox-series-x-and-series-s/15821268

US Target and Walmart has it on sale as well.

Amazing what a little competition can do.

I really hope they eventually do get to mobile handheld product, with ability to reuse these console storage cards too.

Canada Amazon and BestBuy has it sale too. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-card-for-xbox-series-x-and-series-s/15821268

US Target and Walmart has it on sale as well.

Amazing what a little competition can do.
I think it’s just those 1TB chips and 2TB chips are finally coming down in price. Going to be a while further for it to get to where people want it. But those quad chips are going to be so much cheaper because of yield and requiring less clock speed to generate equal bandwidth.

Still a step forward. $389 CAD is still
about double the price for a WD Black which is equivalent performance wise ~4500MB/s.

Is the market for 1 chip SSDs increasing? I know Steamdeck uses them but that's pretty niche. High end tablets are using them too I guess, but any cahnge they'll find their way into middle-tier handhelds/mobiles? Or is the price largely capped by manufacturing and yields, with single chip solutions fixed that uch higher than the multichip solutions as you say?

Back