Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear... Microsoft did not sell Mixer. Microsoft still owns all the Mixer technology. Microsoft sold the partnerships of people who used Mixer to stream. That is what Facebook bought.

Although not a streaming media service, when Microsoft sold mixer to Facebook they announced a partnership with Facebook Gaming, which would allow someone to stream Xcloud games on the Facebook website if I understand it correctly. Thinking about it, if the partnership with Facebook is deeper than it outwardly appears the Facebook portal devices could make a very interesting Xcloud endpoint, a built-in screen, ubiquitous hardware, dual-purpose with the video chat functionality. You can even use Alexa on the portal devices so Facebook doesn't seem to mind partnering with the 'competition'. Could be a big seller. I wonder how much mixer sold for?

Article about selling mixer and xcloud
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/...g-facebook-gaming-partnership-xcloud-features

facebook portal devices
https://portal.facebook.com/
I thought that there could be some partnership with Facebook. Also Facebook has neat VR tech which can become compatible with XSX/XSS too.

I mean Microsoft these days partners with a lot of companies that work in areas similar to Amazon. As it could not compete with Amazon's Twitch it went to Facebook. As it does not have space tech it went to SpaceX. To deal with EGS and Tencent, they will probably go after Valve.Amazon has Amazon Prime, MS doesn't have any so maybe some deal is possible with Netflix or Disney+. Microsoft is building coalitions.

Also with WSL Microsoft is embracing Linux and probably Android in the future. Looking at their current dive into Internet infrastructure they might go after Nokia - again.

Google on the other hand feels like an outsider these days. It has Android though. I wonder if partnership with Amazon is possible in the future - after all MS has its own search tech, while Amazon doesn't have any.

Apple is in league of its own - it has OS, mobile and even its own hardware. The whole ecosystem. But it seems it lacks in services or something.

I wonder if we can build euler diagrams to find some possible future partnerships.

Still Amazon is the future uber corporation.

Last edited:
To be clear... Microsoft did not sell Mixer. Microsoft still owns all the Mixer technology. Microsoft sold the partnerships of people who used Mixer to stream. That is what Facebook bought.
huh I didn't know that, I wonder how much those partnerships went for?

I thought that there could be some partnership with Facebook. Also Facebook has neat VR tech which can become compatible with XSX/XSS too.

I mean Microsoft these days partners with a lot of companies that work in areas similar to Amazon. As it could not compete with Amazon's Twitch it went to Facebook. As it does not have space tech it went to SpaceX. To deal with EGS and Tencent, they will probably go after Valve.Amazon has Amazon Prime, MS doesn't have any so maybe some deal is possible with Netflix or Disney+. Microsoft is building coalitions.

I wonder if we can build euler diagrams to find some possible future partnerships.

Still Amazon is the future uber corporation.

Yeah they do partner with lots of people, I think it would be a good idea to partner with Netflix for shows based on Microsoft IP, Netflix and the Netflix of gaming teaming up? match made in heaven. With amazon I cant help think (and be optimistic really) that regulators are going to start reigning them in a bit, they have a few too many fingers in a few too many industry destroying pies imo. I have thought that it would do Microsoft, sony and Nintendo some good to form an industry alliance of sorts, to try and freeze out the amazons and lunas of the world, you already see this a bit with sony partnering with Microsoft for something PlayStation related with azure. If someone like amazon partnered with sony to rip off gamepass and xcloud Microsoft's ambitions would be in trouble.

With the talk of euler diagrams and partnership opportunities

• Partnering with a streaming service would be a good idea, get some more eyes on their gaming IP, whether that's Netflix, Disney +, HBO max, whoever. The streaming service and xbox work together to get a show about a game out at the same time make a lot of marketing synergies, things like Netflix's Witcher show would be perfect.
  • I think Microsoft need one or two 'Everyman IPs' like sony has with spiderman, there is no one as big or recognisable right now, I suppose batman is in the same order of magnitude, but not close.
  • I wonder if Disney would be willing to sell the game rights to star wars? would be a hefty price but could be worth it. Especially with Disney hurting financially at the moment. Interestingly Disney already partners with Microsoft on investigating moving movie production to the cloud, (link below) could be an inroad to a deeper partnership. Microsoft could offer them a good deal on Azure for hosting Disney + to sweeten the pot.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/16/w...with-microsoft-azure-on-cloud-innovation-lab/

I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't bought avid, its a perfect fit for their cloud offering, the Disney cloud partnership is an extension of a partnership that Microsoft has with avid to explore cloud-based video production, which they have had since 2017. At the very least it would give them someone to give windows movie maker a spit and polish

Yeah they do partner with lots of people, I think it would be a good idea to partner with Netflix for shows based on Microsoft IP, Netflix and the Netflix of gaming teaming up
I think partnership with Disney+ would be better due to sheer amount of IPs Disney has that can be turned into games. Though Disney rents their IPs to various companies these days - SE, EA, Sony. Disney has good some ties with EA, and EA is closer to MS though.

you already see this a bit with sony partnering with Microsoft for something PlayStation related with azure
I think that is because unlike other cloud providers - MS has the most experience with running gaming cloud - after all they created Xbox Live. AWS seems to be better in video service streaming - considering that Netflix and Disney+ use them for their streaming services. The problem with MS for now is server coverage - AWS has much bigger amount of regions.

• Partnering with a streaming service would be a good idea, get some more eyes on their gaming IP, whether that's Netflix, Disney +, HBO max, whoever. The streaming service and xbox work together to get a show about a game out at the same time make a lot of marketing synergies, things like Netflix's Witcher show would be perfect.
Oh for sure, partnership with some TV streaming service would be very good for Microsoft. I still believe that Disney+ is the best it has recognizable brands. Then again Netflix it seems to be kinda successful with TV series based on games.

• I think Microsoft need one or two 'Everyman IPs' like sony has with spiderman, there is no one as big or recognisable right now, I suppose batman is in the same order of magnitude, but not close.
Spiderman is bigger than Batman + unlike Batman it has a very popular game like Spiderman on PS. Associating PS with Spiderman will give great benefits to Sony and might entice Disney to ask Sony to develop more games.

Batman with all its games is not even comparable. And Avengers brand got hurt by the recent game. DC brand is kinda niche or something.
  • I wonder if Disney would be willing to sell the game rights to star wars? would be a hefty price but could be worth it. Especially with Disney hurting financially at the moment. Interestingly Disney already partners with Microsoft on investigating moving movie production to the cloud, (link below) could be an inroad to a deeper partnership. Microsoft could offer them a good deal on Azure for hosting Disney + to sweeten the pot.
I don't believe Disney will sell the rights. But EA is doing fine with Star Wars rights and EA is close to MS.

Didn't not know about that partnership (just like about partnership with some internet provider in USA or something that MS has), but Disney+ uses AWS no?

With amazon I cant help think (and be optimistic really) that regulators are going to start reigning them in a bit, they have a few too many fingers in a few too many industry destroying pies imo.
I thought about that, but I wonder how it's gonna work out in the end. Microsoft learnt from their mistakes and do not try to become a monopoly and buy everybody and everything.

If you took at the acquisitions of Amazon, Apple and Google, they've only ever acquired companies for technology, not for the people, nor non-technology patent IP. If they want in on gaming they will be able to recruit good talent by being able to pay more.

Because of Microsoft's position in the market, they pretty much have the field to themselves. If Sony have wanted to buy Bethesda, I doubt they would have been able to being console market leader.
except look at amazon.

They shelled out for crytek engine making it into lumberyard and then they started developing games years ago and what do they have to show for it?

New world is constantly pushed back and has had multiple leadership changes
Crucible was shut down this nov . It launched in may and then was put back into beta in june
Breakaway - canceled in 2018

These are all games that were announced in 2016. 2/3rds are cancele and one is in dev hell. So amazon like ms knows how hard it is to start up studios and those start ups to have sucessfull ip.

Apple could launch 10 studios and wait 5 years for games to start coming out only to have 1 or 2 of them being platform sellers. Or they could buy a company already making platform sellers.

I don't think sony could have purchased bethesda it would be to large of a purchase for them

Not accurate at all.

Sony tried to but walked away. They were in early talks, which started the entire thing, but they walked away somewhere around the $2 Bilion region.

At least thats what all the industry had been saying many months before the MS announcement.

Not accurate at all.

it would have cost almost a third of their cash on hand and they would have had to out bid Microsoft during the mist of a pandemic and global down turn in spending while launching a brand new console and being unable to launch new movies at the box office.

Dunno i guess technically they could but any change in fortunes could have ended up putting them into deep trouble. Remember a lot of countries are stupidly going back into lock downs.

Sony tried to but walked away. They were in early talks, which started the entire thing, but they walked away somewhere around the $2 Bilion region.

At least thats what all the industry had been saying many months before the MS announcement.

It was actually 4.8B and Sony saw another opportunity (WB) they're still working on from what I know.

Yeah. From what I'm hearing, Sony wants to secure all the rights for publishing the DC universe (just for gaming, not films, nor television). If they can do it, that would be a huge score for them.
Man, that would really hurt Microsoft if Sony got all the superhero games. I wonder if Microsoft might take another punt at WB?

This isn't a dick wagging competition, or console warrior chest pounding. These companies are simply doing what they do best... compete.
I'm just pointing out that the WB stuff hasn't gone away , its not just sony trying to get rights to DC. There are multiple big companies including one that is bigger than Microsoft from what I've heard.

Spiderman is bigger than Batman + unlike Batman it has a very popular game like Spiderman on PS. Associating PS with Spiderman will give great benefits to Sony and might entice Disney to ask Sony to develop more games.

Batman with all its games is not even comparable. And Avengers brand got hurt by the recent game. DC brand is kinda niche or something.

I don't believe Disney will sell the rights. But EA is doing fine with Star Wars rights and EA is close to MS.

I agree that spiderman is bigger than batman, I was more just meaning they need an IP that is exclusive to their platform that everyone, even non-gamers know. Xbox has plenty of amazing gaming IP but needs a non-gaming brand to make inroads with a non-gaming audience, and Batman, if, and admittedly it's a big if, was well managed he could be that.

I wonder what percentage cut Disney get from every star wars game that EA sells? maybe 25-30% of the sale price? Apparently, the going rate for star wars merchandise is 20%. It would take a hell of a long time for them to make 2-3 billion in game licensing fees. If Microsoft got the star wars license they could just sublicense it to EA and use it for their own projects, maybe with some agreement that any EA star wars game was on game pass.

It will be interesting to see what Disney do with the star wars license, they have an exclusivity deal with EA until 2023. I wonder if they will renew the license?

I'm just pointing out that the WB stuff hasn't gone away , its not just sony trying to get rights to DC. There are multiple big companies including one that is bigger than Microsoft from what I've heard.

well, if your meaning apple that's going to be an interesting play for them, if you mean amazon I've got to imagine that Microsoft will bid high to make sure that doesn't happen.

I wonder if interested parties are privy to other companies bids? or if its essentially a blind bidding process

It's not always about $$$... but also prior relationships and potential future partnerships. One of the reason why AT&T sold Crunchyroll for under a billion to Sony, rather than 1.3B Tencent was offering and the 1.5B AT&T was originally seeking. Plus, Sony has a great relationship with many of the WB gaming studio exe's and developers. That being said, of course Microsoft is probably whispering in AT&T/WB ears as well... I know I would if I knew my competition was doing the same.

It's not always about $$$... but also prior relationships and potential future partnerships. One of the reason why AT&T sold Crunchyroll for under a billion to Sony, rather than 1.3B Tencent was offering and the 1.5B AT&T was originally seeking. Plus, Sony has a great relationship with many of the WB gaming studio exe's and developers. That being said, of course Microsoft is probably whispering in AT&T/WB ears as well... I know I would if I knew my competition was doing the same.

I had heard that no one wanted to pay what ATT was asking for and so they dropped the price.

ATT is in dire financial straits so I don't think they are gong to refuse a larger bid.

Also
https://news.microsoft.com/2019/07/...e-to-deliver-innovation-with-cloud-ai-and-5g/

so its not like ATT and Microsoft don't have a prior or on going relationship ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back