Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But teasers - if not held by some platform holder - usually like that no?

You know what your right, somehow I misremembered and thought that these teaser trailers usually have the PlayStation/Xbox logos on them somewhere, but having looked none of the multiplat game teaser trailers have anything like that.

The timing is still weird

And Microsoft's first Xbox flopped commercially? So what. Almost nobody goes from zero to instant success it a single try. You said that Microsoft should be acquiring companies before Amazon, Apple and Google start doing so and I said that traditionally none of these companies have bought companies for the talent of the workforce which is critical to making games. Buildings, furniture, dev systems, tools and engine licences are not a barrier to a large organisation - what is critical is personnel.
Your the one bringing up a company having to buy its way back into gamers good graces. I brought up the PS3 because that is exactly what Sony had to do. They dumped massive cash into subsidizing the console.

I don't disagree that that acquiring an effective studio may mean you can get up to speed quicker but I do disagree that this is necessarily "easier" - which is what you said. Companies may own assets, technology and IP but they don't own people and I'd argue that's the most complex dynamic because even with the most talented people under one roof, it'll take a while to build a rapport and for that collection of individuals to become an effective team, develop a work culture and produce good results and that's the time saver of acquiring an existing studio.

and i disagree with you. So we will just end up arguing about it.

That said, my personal experience of having been in organisations that have been acquired, and acquired other organisations, is that the change can make individuals rethink whether they are in the right job. Sometimes you're in a role and it's "fine" or "good" ( but not great, not bad) but when you something changes it causes you to re-evaluate things and you may decide it's time for change. Even the most minor changes in terms, conditions and perks can cause this so acquiring a studio - even if you make no material changes to the way it's run - can result in a wave of introspection and people deciding to leave after their contracted periods, which in the games world are generally quite short. In which case, are you that much better off?

Most large organisations (like Apple, Amazon, Google and Microsoft) generally don't buy companies for personnel/talent for a reason.

I've been in purchased companies before where the "talent" has stayed on for years after the purchase.

This isn't the 70s and 80s where one person or small team makes a video game. The talent would be the development team and teams can sustain people moving on if they are filled with talented replacements. On the flip side there has been many times where the big talent is the albatross weighing everything down.

The what is your state was ludicrously false, but if you're "so what" is a sign that facts and reality aren't important...

So how can Xbox afford to buy a single publisher? Assuming, and based on the broadly accepted reality that PlayStation's profits vastly exceed those of Xbox?

I've given my rational to why its easier to take over successful studios and produce quality vs just starting up studios. You've ignored everything I said and at times it seems you don't even know what i'm replying too or what you wrote a few posts ago.

Xbox isn't Microsoft. Microsoft is a gigantic company that has massive profits each quarter and have a huge amount of money sitting in the united states and other countries and while interest rates are at historic lows its best to spend it than to keep it sitting there doing nothing.

MS would most likely want to invest in Xbox because of this

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/22/microsoft-msft-earnings-q4-2020.html

"Xbox content and services revenue was up 65% with record engagement as people stayed home and played games"

Gaming is a huge market and Microsoft obviously feels strongly that it will be a great match for azure .

The second piece of the puzzle as to why they would want to buy publishers or even a single studio is most likely linked to Minecraft you know that purchase Microsoft did that everyone thought would be a disaster but has been a huge success for them ?

I would be surprised if it was a purchase more than, irrc, $96 million, they have to notify the FTC and get it approved like they are going through with Bethesda atm. It also would be a bit, I guess tone-deaf I think, especially because the game awards are an industry event and not an Xbox event. Not a good look to go, 'Hey Everyone look at this awesome game trailer from a game dev you love, BTW Xbox only, and we are buying them lol'. Who knows, maybe I am wrong and they will announce buying capcom lol.

If it was a smaller purchase than the $96 million I don't think it would be impactful enough I guess? On its own anyway. I wonder how much Remedy would be worth?

I do have a sneaky suspicion something is going on with IO interactive, on the bond teaser trailer there was nothing about what platforms it would be on. Plus the teaser trailer was weird, they surely would have been better off saving that for a surprise at the game awards, especially with it so close. Maybe they were trying to drive their acquisition price up? Exclusive bond games would be a big deal for Xbox.

do you need FTC approval for non USA companies ? If Microsoft had billions in say New Zealand and wanted to buy a company there does the FTC need to approve that ? Also what if its a private company ?

Anyway I think there are going to be a lot of people either very happy or very pissed over the next 12-18 months

Your the one bringing up a company having to buy its way back into gamers good graces. I brought up the PS3 because that is exactly what Sony had to do. They dumped massive cash into subsidizing the console.

I've given my rational to why its easier to take over successful studios and produce quality vs just starting up studios. You've ignored everything I said and at times it seems you don't even know what i'm replying too or what you wrote a few posts ago.
I read you're posts, I simply disagree.

Xbox isn't Microsoft. Microsoft is a gigantic company that has massive profits each quarter and have a huge amount of money sitting in the united states and other countries and while interest rates are at historic lows its best to spend it than to keep it sitting there doing nothing.

And PlayStation isn't Sony. Telll this @ChuckeRearmed because that this the line of logic he was pursuing.

MS would most likely want to invest in Xbox because of this

And Sony wouldn't want to invest in PlayStation because... ?

The second piece of the puzzle as to why they would want to buy publishers or even a single studio is most likely linked to Minecraft you know that purchase Microsoft did that everyone thought would be a disaster but has been a huge success for them ?

I don't see how this is relevant but can you define success in $$$ earned. As in an actual reported figure to cover the acquisition?

Apparently, MS might buy Kojima productions, long shot, but this is the right thread for it...

Didn't Kojima's most recent project get cancelled for some reason? maybe he was pissed about that and wanted to do it anyway? It's a long shot, in any case, I wouldn't put any stock in it. Kojima would be a huge get for Microsoft, it almost doesn't even matter what he makes, to have a 'celebrity' dev, for lack of a better term, like Todd Howard, would really drive interest in gamepass/xcloud
OT: Are others seeing this in spanish, both the tweet and the article? only one or none?

OT: Are others seeing this in spanish, both the tweet and the article? only one or none?

Yeah, it's in Spanish, It's not just you :)

After looking into this more its a picture from a Spanish hobby magazine, which has a section in it that mixes true stories and false stories. Readers send in which stories are true or not to get a prize if they get them all correct.

I agree with Eastmen that acquiring studios is the way to go most of the time. Do you think Sony regret buying Naughty Dog or Insomniac? I doubt it. Same goes for MS when it comes to Rare and Bungie. Even Lionhead since they produced console selling titles for 7 years before they had to be jettisoned.

I agree with Eastmen that acquiring studios is the way to go most of the time. Do you think Sony regret buying Naughty Dog or Insomniac?
What about Naughty Dog do you think appealed to Sony? Why did the original founders of Naughty Dog long since gone? With Insomniac it's too early to say. What about Studio Liverpool (RIP), Evolution Studios (RIP), Incognito (RIP), Zipper Interactive (RIP), Guerrilla Cambridge (RIP) ??

Decisions are easy with a decade of hindsight on your side.

do you need FTC approval for non USA companies ? If Microsoft had billions in say New Zealand and wanted to buy a company there does the FTC need to approve that ? Also what if its a private company ?

I was thinking there was a component of shareholder notification on Microsofts part if they made an acquisition above that amount, seems I'm muddling up different things

Anyway I think there are going to be a lot of people either very happy or very pissed over the next 12-18 months

who knows it might end up with everyone unhappy, Microsoft buys everyone in the industry then pawns of the Xbox division to amazon for a pittance :runaway:

Thinking from a slightly different angle, if you were Amazon or Google who would you acquire to get your streaming service going?

I don't think there any purchases that they could make to essentially become a 'console' player in the cloud, but in Amazons case anyway I could see them buying take 2. Keep it all multiplat to start with but start introducing things that preference your own service, so maybe when gta 6 comes out you can play a 'beta', which is really the full game a month early on Luna for example. The same goes for all their sports games. Use Take 2 as the first party content then add publishers like they have with Ubisoft. Offer the first party stuff + some extras with prime and charge the low fee per publisher on top of the prime sub.

I can see why Microsoft is very nervous about amazon coming into the gaming space if they are serious about it, if only because amazon can equate prime now subscribers to luna subscribers if they went the way I described. And convincing shareholders that its not comparable to have say 30 million game pass subs vs amazons ~150 million prime (or luna) subs might get old if they get into a content war. If you thought sony was bad with money hats wait until you see what Amazon would be willing to do.

If I was google I have no idea what I would do, how they are set up now I can't see it growing, the requirement to make a Linux version of a game, for such a small market, is just boneheaded on googles part, especially as xcloud starts getting spooled up. I would not be surprised if they continue stadia as it is now, just plodding along and then partner with adobe or someone to offer a streaming option for creative cloud, something like that, so they can use their hardware investment for something, or maybe they don't care about it.

I read you're posts, I simply disagree.
and thats fine , but why continue quoting me if you already know we both disagree

And PlayStation isn't Sony. Telll this @ChuckeRearmed because that this the line of logic he was pursuing.

And Sony wouldn't want to invest in PlayStation because... ?
I never said anywhere that sony wouldn't want to invest in Playstation. I'm am just stating that I believe large purchases at or above the what 7.5B bethseda went for would be something sony wouldn't and couldn't do. Both companies have vastly different amounts of cash on hand and income.

I don't see how this is relevant but can you define success in $$$ earned. As in an actual reported figure to cover the acquisition?

Microsoft doesn't report minecraft numbers on their own. But they continue developing the ip and offshoots like minecraft dungeons.

I mean its pretty clearly been a success for them, Minecraft had roughly 50 million sales when they purchased it for $2.5B, now it has 200 million sales. just back of the envelope, 150m copies at $20 is $3B. And thats before the merchandising, the upcoming movie, etc.

You also have to remember Minecraft wasn't purchased to help xbox/microsoft monetarily, it was to help office/windows in schools. So you cant exclude that value to Microsoft either, even if it is harder to quantify.

I think in a lot of ways Minecraft helped improve Microsofts image to consumers, from the cut throat bill and Balmer era to a more approachable one with Satya, and you cant put a dollar value on that. Which, imo, is why they purchased GitHub, in some small way it was to prove to developers that they had changed.

I mean its pretty clearly been a success for them, Minecraft had roughly 50 million sales when they purchased it for $2.5B, now it has 200 million sales. just back of the envelope, 150m copies at $20 is

Microsoft get $20 off a $20 sale when they are the retailer and the game is on their platform (so no licensing fees). That isn't the case for Nintendo and Sony ecosystems.

Multiplatform game outsells platform exclusive game? Shocking. Come on, man - these kind of comparisons are just desperate.

And to be clear, I'm not saying Minecraft wasn't a good acquisitor but it's the perpetual tossing about of calling acquisitions as successful with no financial data to support it.

I thought it was very evident when the first quarterly statement from Minecraft was more than what Microsoft would have gotten from the $2 Billion just sitting unused in a bank account that couldn't be pulled into the US without excessive Tax Penalties.

But my memory could be hazy.

I thought it was very evident when the first quarterly statement from Minecraft was more than what Microsoft would have gotten from the $2 Billion just sitting unused in a bank account that couldn't be pulled into the US without excessive Tax Penalties.

But my memory could be hazy.

yep, your right,

according to the motley fool, in 2014 Minecraft had revenue of $259m and a profit of $126m. And its only grown since then.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/03/30/i-still-cant-believe-microsoft-spent-25-billion-to.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back